Adelaide/Dubai

Guest Guest5035

Guest Watkinsfamily

FAB!! :) We are currently in Abu Dhabi and move to Adelaide permanently next summer - will def. be using this! We will send the cat from Dubai anyway. We fly in 3 weeks to validate our visas and are doing Abu Dhabi to KL then KL to Adelaide. Not bad as we have a 2 year old with us and the break will be good in the middle each flight 7 hours. Wish us luck!! X

Guest Guest5035

currently you can fly adelaide/melbourne/uk with emirates, so theoretically the journey from adelaide should be 1.5 hours shorter in the air plus the waiting in melbourne..

stevo

Sounds good, I'd love a stopover in Dubai one day. Let's hope the route gets off the ground but doesn't get cancelled too quickly because it's not making money. I'm rather skeptical about the ability of passenger numbers to Adelaide to increase too dramatically. I remember when British Airways and Garuda used to fly into Adelaide...

Guest Guest6899

This is brilliant for us as Emirates fly into Birmingham.. 30 mins down the toll road and home.. not that im planning the trip just yet!!:biggrin:

I've got some vague idea in the back of my mind that flying through Dubai can cause issues with bringing common medications (like aspirin or something like that) with you...? Does anyone know what I'm talking about (A question I ask frequently!) as this route would be great for my folks on their next visit...?

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi, I am in Abu Dhabi and have been for 4 years now. There is no issue bringing in common meds as long as it doesn't contain codiene (sp?) if you do need meds that have banned substances in then just bring a letter from your Dr. stating what it is and why it is being taken and you will be fine. As you will not be leaving the airport they won't be too worried - it's only if you decide to stop over for a few days that you will need to check. The pharmacy here actually sells more meds over the counter without the need for prescription including antibiotics. The following link should help:

http://dubai.ae/en/Lists/Articles/DispForm.aspx?ID=141&category=Visitors

P X

Those flight times certainly give a different option, leaving Adelaide at 22.45. However that's only 15 minutes before the 23.00 curfew, so if there are any technical problems/delays then the flight might not leave until 6 the next morning!!!

I just need to win the lottery so we can have a stopover at the Burj al Arab.

Just realised you have to leave Dubai at 2 in the morning coming back to Adelaide.

Edited by Anne B

• 4 months later...

We are on this flight from Dublin to Dubai and then Dubai to Adelaide we leave here on the 8th of Dec and spend two days in Dubai and then on to Adelaide on the 11th.

We are soo looking forward to visiting Adelaide, We are coming over as a family to see family and see will we settle here as hubbie is applying for a visa.

I really hope we get it as work here is drying up and finding it hard at the moment

We would love to meet with people and get their experiences on moving to Adelaide, we will be in Adelaide from 12th December till 10th Jan and have four children ages 10 (will celebrate her 10th birthday in Adelaide) 7 (nearly 8) 3 (nearly 4) and 22 months

Thanks Sally

Just a quick question , i have less than two hours to spend in Dubai airport , any idea where to go , good prices and things to watch ..

With just two hours you will probably have time to get off one plane and get to the gate for the next one. Maybe with a toilet break. We had a similar amount of time in Dubai airport on one of our holidays here but the planes were delayed each way. Comming to Oz we just had time to get from one plane to the next and only then because an airport employee rushed us through security. On the way back we missed the connecting flight and had over six hours in the airport waiting for the next one. Could have been worse.

As for places to go I can't actually remember, but like I said with two hours you won't have time for much anyway. You are supposed to at the gate for your flight something like 45 minutes in advance. I'd suggest finding where you are going to then just checking out the shops around there. The time will probably go much faster than you appreciate.

being there a couple of years ago the bus from the emirates planes steps to the terminal took 25 minutes alone!!

stevo

That would have been while the new terminal was being built - it's all finished now and looks good.

If it were me with a couple of hours to go I would either book into the hotel in the airport (you can book it by the hour) and have a shower/snooze etc or pay to go into one of the lounges. Alternatively I would wander - there are many shops and restaurants - easily enough to kill a couple of hours.

NWM

Guest adelaideinjuly

Thanks , it is actually three hours and half , so i have two hours to spent shopping , i heard they have Carrefour at the airport , any suggestions for good prices shops would be appreciated