Job in CBD - reality of living a little out of the city and commuting

zebedee

Hello,

We have recently arrived in Adelaide, and it looks likely that I've secured a job in the CBD. We are currently researching for our first long term rental and have a few areas that we like, Athlestone for the hills and parks and Southview for the mix of beach and parks - both of which are a little way out of the city. I just wondered what the realities are like for people commuting in? I'd rather use public transport but is the car the best option and where do you park?! Do I just have to accept the hour commute?

Hope that makes sense and thank you :)

You can commute into the city easily from Athelstone - drive to Paradise or catch a bus there, then hop on the O-Bahn - easy as! Definitely won't be an hour commute - more like 15-20 minutes each way. Or you could cycle through Linear Park in about 30 mins!

Guest Helchops

It takes me an hour in the car from Warradale to Fullarton road just east of the city.

I've tried other routes like going cross road instead of the Anzac highway, but I still have to allow an hour.

Guest Helchops

How do you manage that and where am I going wrong?? Anzac highway, cross road, morphet road all seem super busy at 8.00.

If I leave at 7.45 it takes forty minutes and that's as good as it gets for me!!

Any tips >>> Warradale to CBD?

How do you manage that and where am I going wrong?? Anzac highway, cross road, morphet road all seem super busy at 8.00.

If I leave at 7.45 it takes forty minutes and that's as good as it gets for me!!

Any tips >>> Warradale to CBD?

Warradale train station to Adelaide Central train station :jiggy::jiggy:

It takes me 20 mins from Brighton to CBD every morning on the train, or 35-40 if I drive.

Train costs $3.19 each way, about $3 in petrol each way but $12 a day parking.

How someone manages to drive from Aldinga to CBD in 45 minutes during rush hour I would love to know, as it'd take me that long on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Aldinga to the end of the express way at Flinders is ~20 minutes isn't it?

Thanks, it's not easy trying to work out where to try and pick to live. Is it just me or is large chunks of Adelaide, a bit, well, ugly? We've driven around quite a few suburbs now and I can't help but think they should ban wire fencing and invest in some anti-graffiti paint! All the nicer places seem to be either very high rent (expected I guess) or just too far away.

Athelstone ticks all the boxes for me, but family is keen on being nearer the beach.

Guest moonraker1959

Have you tried looking at Tea Tree Gully,Greenwith,Surrey Downs,Fairview Park,Hope Valley,Modbury North/Heights?They are all close to Tea Tree Plaza where you catch the buses for the Obahn.I know Modbury have buses that head straight into the city.