Markets; Moana or Myponga?

Jay & Lou

Hi Jay & Lou

If you like spider plants and knitted toilet roll holders then either Moana or Myponga market will do!

I Live in MOana and LOVE the place - but the market isnt up to much - sorry. Myponga market is the same but larger scale - theres alot more bric a brac at Myponga...I you can probably spend more time there (we sometimes take the kids, when there is NOTHING to do ...theres a sausage sizzle at both places to keep hubby happy)

Just my opinion

Sarahx

Ha ha, now if I was really mean, I could tell you that Myponga was fantastic and chuckle to myself that we aren't the only ones who drove all that way for some old mouldy goods that have been set up in the building since 1970. Lucky for you I am telling it like it is - I do however really hope that this doesn't offend anybody - actually they probably don't even have the internet there yet!!

It was my idea to go there for a trip out after we'd only been here a week or two, and I didn't hear the last of it from my kids, so much so, that after that whenever we were going out for the day they wanted assurances that it hadn't been my idea!!

Never been to Moana, maybe you can do a review on that one:wink:

Lisa

The markets are a bit of a joke, in my opinion the Fishermans markets at Port Adelaide is probably the best, if you go on a Sunday at lunchtime you can go on a dolphin river cruise more or less guaranteed to see at least a couple of dolphins, used to be extremely cheap a couple of years ago, if my memory serves me right it was about $11 for the cruise and fish and chips, I think the cruise on its own was $5, grog is also available with a licenced bar, quite basic but enjoyable, and maybe finish off with a little drive up to North Haven via Semaphore and Largs Bay.

Edited by bigal

Guest andylynnchriskirst

We went to the Fisherman's market too, its great there!

We have also been to Adelaide Central Market! What an amazing place!!!! Absolutely stunning place, so much food and variety and there are also little stores/shops that are connected to the main building that do everything else!

Didn't know Moana had one, as we're only down the road, might have to try it out! Also heard Willunga is good.

The markets are a bit of a joke, in my opinion the Fishermans markets at Port Adelaide is probably the best, if you go on a Sunday at lunchtime you can go on a dolphin river cruise more or less guaranteed to see at least a couple of dolphins, used to be extremely cheap a couple of years ago, if my memory serves me right it was about $11 for the cruise and fish and chips, I think the cruise on its own was $5, grog is also available with a licenced bar, quite basic but enjoyable, and maybe finish off with a little drive up to North Haven via Semaphore and Largs Bay.

I agree the Fisherman's markets are great. On the other side of Adelaide to Moana and Myponga but the place definitely has a nice feel about it and the cruise is really good and it is cheap too. the stalls are interesting to look at too...they may have the obligatory "knitted toilet roll holder" but not sure about that - here's a link to the website http://www.fishermenswharfmarkets.com.au/SiteMgt/ww_Standard.asp?PageName=Gallery - there's a few nice pubs in the area too and I've been there when they have a band on. Quite a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon.

If anyone in your family likes beer, head to the Port Dock Brewery and try their "sampler paddle" of their own brew beers. It's in Todd Street just along from the market. The Lipson Street cafe is nice too, with a great little gift shop next door (not sure if open on Sundays but check it out if it is) and there's the Maritime and Railway museums if you want to make a day of it

Willunga Market is on a Saturday and has mainly food but if you go on the 2nd Saturday of the month there's the Quarry Market too - bric-a-brac, plants, books, craft etc. And also the Artisan's market - clothes and jewelry.

Its my favourite as there are lots of things going on (eg. Masterchef cookery demo with Callum Hann a couple of weeks ago) If you love fresh produce and organic treats its worth a visit. Nice beaches nearby too and you can always pop down the road to McLaren Vale for a spot of winetasting, cycle the Shiraz Trail and pop into the bakery/cafes for a coffee and a cake.

Edited by jtct

• 3 months later...
Guest sticksandbricks
Ha ha, now if I was really mean, I could tell you that Myponga was fantastic and chuckle to myself that we aren't the only ones who drove all that way for some old mouldy goods that have been set up in the building since 1970. Lucky for you I am telling it like it is - I do however really hope that this doesn't offend anybody - actually they probably don't even have the internet there yet!!

It was my idea to go there for a trip out after we'd only been here a week or two, and I didn't hear the last of it from my kids, so much so, that after that whenever we were going out for the day they wanted assurances that it hadn't been my idea!!

Never been to Moana, maybe you can do a review on that one:wink:

Lisa

Hello Lisa,

I would just like to start with, people were offended by your post. The store holders. I don't think you realise how much effort most of them do just to be up there for tourists. There is a huge range of items! The markets have now just been sold and are under new management.

Maybe you should come up again and walk around. Also, the markets have only been open since 2000, and there would be a "mouldy smell" because it was an old cheese factory for many years. Also there is the brewery, set behind the markets.

YES there are some lame stalls, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some amazing ones! There is a stall for locally hand made jams, theres a beautiful stall where you can sit and eat, have a devonshire tea. A stall to buy antique tools. Second hand books. Jewellery. Fairies. Incense. Candles! You'd be surprised.

P.S. They are working on getting free wireless up there. Also, don't be so close minded, those people are doing the best they can. :)