How can I discover the best of SA winelands by public transport?

Guest stormywhether

Guest stormywhether

Hola everyone!

We're heading over to stay in Adelaide four weeks tomorrow (hurrah! hurrah!), and one of our must-dos while over there on our reccie is to sample some of the all-important local vinos.

We won't be hiring a car, and plan on spending most of our time in Adelaide and by the coast, but we'd like to spend a day or two in the winelands sipping, slurping and sampling a fair few glasses.

Question: What's the best way to try a good few wines while using public transport or a tour? Don't really want to spend the earth on an organised tour unless it really is worth it, so am looking at all the bus/train options as well.

Anyone recommend the best way to get a good feel for the wines of SA while based in Adelaide?

Thanks so much!

Guest Guest75

There are bus routes through all the major wine areas.

My nearest (McLaren Vale) has a main route through.Bus routes do get thin on the ground once you leave the metro area,beliieve me.

You would have to do some walking and in this heat it would be crazy.

There are private firms that do tours or you might want to hire a car for just a few days???

You'll miss load without one.:):)

Guest stormywhether

Hey Tyke!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Truth be told, we just don't know where to start. I don't want to start planning stuff when we get there - we had such a successful stay in Oz in 2006 when our plans kicked off as soon as we got off the plane - that I don't want to leave things to chance.

Thing about driving is you don't get to sample the wines, which was my thinking. And I just know I'd end up doing all the driving, so I have a vested interest, lol!

Do you know of a good-value tour? There seem to be quite a lot, but I'd prefer to take one on recommendation rather than just chance my hand.

Thanks again Tyke, for all your help!

Guest Guest75

Hiya

It is hard planning everything from a distance.

I don't know of any good wine tours but I'm sure someone will,it would be easy to organise from here as well.

The Visitor centre at McLaren Vale is very helpful as well and can organise tours.

They don't have an email address now I notice .

http://www.mclarenvale.info/index.cfm?objectid=7669C498-ABC8-0ADD-D8F6281092BFBC91

It is tough having to not drink on these tours (I know as I'm often the nominated driver!)

We did a wine tour by camel in McLaren Vale once - but you still have to drive to the camel farm though:sad:

I can't recommend an individual company as I've never used one I'm afraid.

:)

My favourite Vineyards are ................ Wirra Wirra,Coriole and Woodstock.Lovely places to visit.

Guest Ray hogan
Hola everyone!

We're heading over to stay in Adelaide four weeks tomorrow (hurrah! hurrah!), and one of our must-dos while over there on our reccie is to sample some of the all-important local vinos.

We won't be hiring a car, and plan on spending most of our time in Adelaide and by the coast, but we'd like to spend a day or two in the winelands sipping, slurping and sampling a fair few glasses.

Question: What's the best way to try a good few wines while using public transport or a tour? Don't really want to spend the earth on an organised tour unless it really is worth it, so am looking at all the bus/train options as well.

Anyone recommend the best way to get a good feel for the wines of SA while based in Adelaide?

Thanks so much!

Hi Stormywhether,

I have just read your query about vineyards in Adelaide, well there are coach operators that run tours from the corner of King William street and North Terrace to the barossa Valley, we went on one about 4 years ago and they took us to the Chatue Yalldara vineyard, and it included a 3 course meal in the price.

It is a full days tour and they take you to a place called Gumeracha which has the tallest rocking horse in the world so if you have any young ones going with you they will enjoy that part, and you get back late afternoon/early evening, if I remember right the tour operator has an office near the pick up piont, Enjoy, and good hunting for the future. By the way if you go on this tour try a drink called Merry Widow, it a nice drink, and you cant buy it outside the vineyard, it tastes like Tia Maria.

Guest Libby1971

The ladies of pia are having a jolly to the Barossa (I hope) in a couple of months time. We went on one a few weeks ago now to McLaren Vale.

What you could do is book bed and breakfast in the area and stay somewhere nearby. In McLaren Vale there are a few places which are outlets for about half a dozen wineries so you try more than one while you are in one place. It isn't the same as travelling round the wineries but I can't think of another way to do it. Public transport is not quite what the name implies in SA (but bless, they do try) so don't rely on travel for anything other than main spots.

The alternative is to hire a minibus and there are loads of companies to choose from

Libby

If you do decide to use public transport be prepared for late/early arrivals/departures and occasionally missed services.

On the plus side you can get 10 trips for $26 (each trip up to 2hrs).

I have the dubious privilage of commuting from Hallett Cove to the Airport everyday and suffice to say will be buying another car real soon!!!!