Word of Advice - don't stay at the Big4 site in ******

ILSA

Hi,

I just thought I would share my experience of the Big4 site in ​PM for details..

I booked a cabin in May 2012 for my family for this weekend. I drive the 350ks to get there to find that they un-knowning had doubled booked the accomodation. I arrive there to check in and the staff couldn't find the key to the accomodation, so they give me the spare key. We got to the cabin and find all food in it and ants everywhere eating the food that had been left out. At first I thought that they had not cleaned it so I went back to the office to let them know. One member of staff comes over the investigate and then as we are all in the cabin it becomes apparent that they have let it to someone as all there clothes and stuff are in it. That's when the fun starts!!! They have no idea who is supposed to be in the cabin. At first they think that someone has broken into it and is living in it!! Then, they ring the people who according to their system checking out of the accomodation on Wednesday to tell them that they had left their stuff behind!! They say it is not theirs!! During this time, they realise that they have had a complaint about the standard of another accomodation and have very kindly given our accomodation to them for the same length of time our holiday was to be. As the park was fully booked they could not give us alternative accomodation, the best they could give us was a cabin that the first couple had refused and that my little 7 year would not even have a bed. Talk about devastated ! My little boy who had been so looking forward to his hoilday was in tears. They never offered to find us other suitable accomodation with any of the other big4s in the area. I tried to ring the head office and guess what? its closed at weekends! So all they would offer me was a refund for my accomodation. We left the park trying with limited internet access to try to find somewhere else to stay as time was now ticking on and we were going to be left in the flinders ranges with no where to stay. Needless to say all accomodation that I could find had been booked. Why had the staff not checked the accomodation before are arrival. They have a check out policy of 10am, we did not arrive until 4.30pm. When I asked the staff why it had not been checked they said that they couldn't check all the cabins - that's 9 cabins! Hardly the size of caravan sites back in the uk!

If the moderator does censor this post - please PM me for the name of the company or look it up on tripadvisor.

I now am back home, with one upset family. I can't speak to anyone until Monday and maybe Tuesday to talk to the OBCA.

How could they do this to a family?? They refused to move the couple who had my accomodation out as they could not contact them. They had to try and identify who they were by going through their stuff in the cabin. How bad is that??

If any one can offer any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by ILSA

As well as ringing the Big 4 Head Office, I would put your complaint in writing and ask for compensation for the weekend which was ruined. Also contact OCBA and make sure you write truthful reviews on every site you can find. Also contact the local area Tourist Office ( it may be Port Augusta) and also Tourism SA. I would be fuming, as no doubt you are. There is a chance that the owners are not at the Park and it is run by managers. I would copy in writing a complaint to them as well. Emails are ok, as long as you have a paper trail. I do find that Big 4's vary, as they are all privately owned, but I have never had this happen. You must all be so upset.

Thanks. I think the 4 people that I detail with at the park are the owners and guest what they pride themselves on family values, as it is a family business. I am also thinking subject to their response that I should contact the today tonight and the advertiser. So I guess just watch this space.

Don't turn it into a hate campaign. Just deal with the Big4 site privately, let them decide how to deal with what has happened to you, go to the OCBA and let them get involved if they consider it their domain. Sometimes things go wrong for an organisation, and it sounds like your trip was one of those times. Hopefully you can come out with a satisfactory result for yourselves, and the admin at the caravan park can learn from their mistake too and improve their systems.