Does everything 'really' want to kill you in Aus?

Guest Xhako

Hiya

I have been frightening myself with books on the dangers of Australia and how everything seems to be extravagantly lethal, my question is...

What am I likely to come across at the beach, park and at home (in the city) which could hurt/kill me or more importantly my dog?

I would imagine the dangers will mainly be spider related but it's troubling me somewhat...

Bill Bryson has a lot to answer for!

BTW O/H offered job following our trip to Adelaide a couple of weeks ago, v v exciting!

Well I've been here since July and before that I had 6 or 7 holidays here and I've never seen anything lethal. We've even been to places that warn you to keep out of the long grass because of snakes and we still didn't see anything. Seen plenty of spiders, some of them even largish, but none of them deadly. We live in an area that is quite green and just down the road from a conservation park - the kids have seen koalas in the trees at school but we've not seen anything that has wanted to kill us.

Most poisonous things don't want to harm you and will try and keep out of your way so even if you did come across something, leave it alone and you should be fine. You are highly unlikely to come across anything in the city or really built up areas but there are places further out where you might come across something occassionally.

Well you need to watch out for the crocodiles mainly. Especially in the parks, they like to hide in duck ponds and jump out at you when you throw your bread at the mallards... Man eating kangaroos are problematic, especially at twilight so best stay indoors when the sun starts to set. Koalas are a BIG danger, they can kill you soon as look at you, don't be fooled by those sweet little faces..

Seriously, the dangers are greatly exaggerated. You need to look out for snakes in long grass, so stick to paths wherever possible. Spiders can be big and hairy and some, like the redback and whitetail will give you a nasty bite, spray your house regularly and you won't be bothered by them. Spray yourself with mozzie spray if you're out and about at dusk, they won't kill you but you'll want to scratch yourself raw if you get bitten! And really, that's all! We have all sorts of sprays and chemicals which kill anything with more than four legs almost instantly - I know because I have a cupboard full of them!

Liz

We're pretty lucky here in SA, we don't have paralysis ticks which are the big worry for pets in some of the northeastern states, and cane toads which are apparently not good for licking (who'd have thought, eh?) Dogs here are at risk from snakes, heartworm and parvovirus, as well as the usual things you get their annual boosters against, but other than that just sunburn, wasp stings, and grass seeds.

Drop Bears can be found in the densely forested regions of the Great Dividing Range in South-eastern Australia. However there are also some reports of them from South-east South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges and Kangaroo Island.

My apologies Magic, I'd forgotten dropbears. I took the above from www.australianmuseum.net.au which I think you'll find very informative....

Well I've had a few experiences!Found a red back in my then young daughters bedroom when she was sleeping,killed a scorpian in my back yard,nearly put my hand on a red bellied snake whilst rock climbing(My own fault I might add)and my older sister was bitten by a scorpian(in her own backyard not mine lol).I think when you're living in Australia,you just become much more aware,and what to look for.You don't feel constantly stressed at the prospect of bumping into something,lol,you're just careful.You'll be fine!

No. I'm fairly rural and have 10 acres of long grass. Have you ever been bitten by an adder in the UK..... or even seen one? No. Well its only a bit worse here but not as much as the locals say as they try to wind you up. Don't walk through long grass in flip flops and don't grope around dark corners without gloves - its really that easy. If, and its quite a big if, you get bitten then its just a day or so of pain and a trip to A&E.

HOWEVER, if I was camping in NT then I'd be in a roof top tent and nowhere near ground level!

Well as the song goes to name a few we have the red back, funnel web, blue ringed octopus, taipan, tiger snake, and the box jelly fish, stonefish, and the poison thing that lives in a shell that bites you when you pick it up.

Come to Australia, you might accidentally get killed :)

Guest Guest75

It's OK but sometimes nasties come from the most unexpected places.

I was out fishing on the boat last year when it got quite rough. Safety minded as I am I reaches for a life jacket , unfurls it to put over my neck and right in the central fold is a Redback spider!!! And they say we have to watch out for sharks!!!!

I bring my own dangers!

Well I've been here since July and before that I had 6 or 7 holidays here and I've never seen anything lethal. We've even been to places that warn you to keep out of the long grass because of snakes and we still didn't see anything. Seen plenty of spiders, some of them even largish, but none of them deadly. We live in an area that is quite green and just down the road from a conservation park - the kids have seen koalas in the trees at school but we've not seen anything that has wanted to kill us.

Most poisonous things don't want to harm you and will try and keep out of your way so even if you did come across something, leave it alone and you should be fine. You are highly unlikely to come across anything in the city or really built up areas but there are places further out where you might come across something occassionally.

See, now this is the sort of response I was trying to avoid! Please don't take the p**s even though the reply was v funny indeed, tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks, ha ha ha... xxx

Ahh, so funny - even though im scared of all the ridiculous wildlife at least the locals make me laugh - thanks guys, v helpful and much appreciated, feel welcome already x

Sorry but this really tiggled me lol, if you are going to Adelaide you have nothing to worry about, most bigger animals are fine lol I didn't see a snake in nearly 10 years of being there when we lived there before (we are moving back so it cant be all bad) our first house had mainly red backs but only outside they love hiding under bricks/ dark corners, but just don't have things like piles of bricks if you are worried anything outside really could get spiders like sheds under chairs etc. just always check and be vigilant. you get blue tongue lizards which are fine as long as you stay out of their way, white tails were a problem in our 2nd house but you just learn to always look for them they come out at night and we used to get them coming out and crawling along on the carpet !!!!!!!!! (also don't get bitten by one as the bite reoccurs forever , and those big huntsman the size of your hand are hidious ahhhhhhh !!!!!!!! if i can live with it and I hate spiders I am sure anyone can most of the time you need to hunt for them they like to hide out of the way. all in all some lovely wildlife, especially the birds, amazing xx oh and watch out for the possums, oh my they will rip your ears off

Hiya

I have been frightening myself with books on the dangers of Australia and how everything seems to be extravagantly lethal, my question is...

What am I likely to come across at the beach, park and at home (in the city) which could hurt/kill me or more importantly my dog?

I would imagine the dangers will mainly be spider related but it's troubling me somewhat...

Bill Bryson has a lot to answer for!

BTW O/H offered job following our trip to Adelaide a couple of weeks ago, v v exciting!

Another good tip (and I'm serious this time), don't leave your washing out overnight. You can guarantee that if you do you'll be bringing in either a spider or a moth when you bring it in the next morning. Also, don't leave clothes lying on the floor, and if you do, give them a shake when you pick them up. And finally, turn your shoes/trainers/boots over before you put them on and give them a quick tap. These tips may save your life lol!

OK, Tyke that was vey funny indeed,

Thanks to all for going to so much effort to scare the be'jesus out of me / educate me.

So.... if I see a spider what do I do with it? Hoover it up, spray it, chuck it on the barbie, run for my life or what???

Am braced for ridiculous responses...

Thanks so much to all for posting - really really really appreciated x

I love reading comments on this topic. Always lots of fun! As a born and bred Aussie (My first 18 years on a farm.), I never knew there was a problen till i started reading these forums. When it's always been that way you rarely even think about it. I never shake out my shoes, altho i did recently wonder what i could feel in my walking shoes and discovered a dead and squashed cockroach!

Snake and red back spider bites are rare. If you come across a spider in the home, just stomp on it ( if small), or spray or whatever.

See, now this is the sort of response I was trying to avoid! Please don't take the p**s even though the reply was v funny indeed, tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks, ha ha ha... xxx

What was so funny about my post? It was meant to be a serious and reassuring post and was certainly not taking the p**s. I'm assuming you replied with quote to the wrong post as there was nothing in mine to prompt this response.

Guest magicsprout
Another good tip (and I'm serious this time), don't leave your washing out overnight. You can guarantee that if you do you'll be bringing in either a spider or a moth when you bring it in the next morning. Also, don't leave clothes lying on the floor, and if you do, give them a shake when you pick them up. And finally, turn your shoes/trainers/boots over before you put them on and give them a quick tap. These tips may save your life lol!

guilty on all counts, its amazing ive lived so long

What was so funny about my post? It was meant to be a serious and reassuring post and was certainly not taking the p**s. I'm assuming you replied with quote to the wrong post as there was nothing in mine to prompt this response.

Whoops, sincerely sorry, was laughing so much at the post below yours, I lost my concentration, your post was very helpful. x