Buying a car and driving it...

Guest Xhako

Hello

OK, so next step is thinking about a car.

Can you please advise me on what the costs are? If I bought a car here I would tax and insure it and be good to go so what's the deal in Aus and what's the cost?

Also, what are the differences in driving there to the UK? I noticed people crossing the street then the green man flashed but cars would be waiting to turn left and had pulled out, was a bit confusing, any advice appreciated.

Ta

xxxx

G'day mate.

Driving in Auzzieland is really no different than in the UK. Sure there are a few quirks but nothing to be scared of. Not like having traffic lights on a roundabout like you have and took me by complete surprise the last time i was over. Just follow the road markings, don't cross solid white lines and you'll be alright. We do cross in front of each other rather than go around each other (major junctions) but as I said, follow the markings. On a left hand turn, yes, pedestrians have the right of way and you have to wait from them to cross before you can proceed. No hassle really. Got to admit, pedestrians believe the road was put there for their use only, God help us.

You'll get a booklet to LEARN for your test when you're ready.

As for buying a car. Huge subject. My advice:

Don't spend too much on your first car. You can upgrade later, when you're settled.

Don't buy a gas guzzler.

Don't buy an off road vehicle unless you're living in the outback.

Don't buy 2 cars when one will do ie, a 4 seat pickup suitable for work and shopping.

Think of the running costs. Diesel or Auto gas are the cheapest to run. Most Gas car are duel fuel (gas and petrol)

Our road rego (tax) includes third party insurance. Don't over insure an old vehicle.

Look around before you buy. We, too, have USED CAR SALESMEN.

You don't need to take a test (I did back in the 90's but they changed the rules!) but I would recommend getting a copy of the Drivers Handbook which you can buy when you get here. See the sa.gov.au website. The Handbook has all the road rules, some like giving way to pedestrians and rules near schools and school buses are worth knowing. My tips are;

• Driving around Adelaide is pretty boring, at 50 or 60 kph all the time with loads of traffic lights. Many drivers are half-asleep.
  • Don't expect many road signs giving directions. Expect to get lost a lot until you memorise where you are going.
  • Road signs are like American ones, not European ones, most are fairly obvious but lots are written in English rather than being symbols, so hard luck if your English isn't very good.
  • Don't expect many other motorists to drive sensibly in a narrow road with lots of parked cars, or let you into a queue, or out of a parking space or give way out of courtesy (if somebody does do that, after I've recovered from the shock I then assume they are British).
  • Always drive defensively, as if the other driver is intent on crashing into you, especially if they are in a gold car and/or in a car park
  • Give bogans in suped-up utes or Nissan Skylines a wide berth
  • Also give big trucks a wide berth (they take a long time to break)
  • Always look when crossing at a pedestrian crossing, even if you have the green light, as some loser will try and run the red light and run you over (whole family almost got killed at the weekend by a bloke in a an old ute looking at his phone).

• Expect other drivers to be a bit slow and confused at roundabouts, especially in parts of the city where there aren't many and they are not used to them
  • Also expect a proportion of drivers to be confused when they drive on the freeway - they are not used to motorways
  • Driving out in rural areas is much more fun, the roads are empty and the main problems are staying awake and not getting too excited when there is a car coming in the other direction!
  • Undertaking is allowed on most dual lane roads
  • Never park on the right hand side of a street (in the opposite direction to the traffic)
  • And I almost forgot, stick religiously to the speed limit!

Follow these simple tips and you'll be right!

Edited by Anne B

Guest Xhako

Great, thanks guys

I'll get a copy of the Drivers Hanbook and maybe a second hand sat nav?

So, what about the costs?

I was looking at second hand cars, the mileage seems very high compared to the UK, is it all to do with the dry weather and lack of rust so they go further? There's care for sale from the 1970's which would go for mega bucks here but are the same as a ford fiesta in Aus!

I wouldn't buy anything in the UK with more than about 65,000 miles or pay more than about £3k, I've been advised to 'buy Asian' as the parts are easier to get, the names of the cars are completely alien to me so all advice appreciated.

Just looking for a runaround to get to the supermarket and take the dog out, maybe a bit of exploring around the city but not too far.

Ta!

Second hand cars are generally much more expensive here than in the UK. A colleague is selling a car built 1997 with over 200,000km on it and is going to advertise it for $3.5k. We sold a similar car of similar age and mileage when we migrated (but ours was only 10 years old at that point compared to 16 years old now) and sold it for 300 pounds!!!

Edited by Jessica Berry

Guest Guest5035
Second hand cars are generally much more expensive here than in the UK. A colleague is selling a car built 1997 with over 200,000km on it and is going to advertise it for $3.5k. We sold a similar car of similar age and mileage when we migrated (but ours was only 10 years old at that point compared to 16 years old now) and sold it for 300 pounds!!!

so my sons 1998 daewoo nubira with 98,000kms from new, full service history, timing belt done 3 months ago, excellent condition is worth how many $$$$

stevo

Hi Xhako,

Ok, here are my ramblings lol.....

1. Rego covers the car being on the road plus includes third-party accident cover. As I understand it, if you were involved in an accident and the other driver suffered any injuries, the rego-insurance would cover them BUT not damage to either vehicle. If you want to be insured against damage to your car, loss of your car through an accident, theft etc you would need to buy insurance. The choices are the same as in the UK - compehensive, third party etc.

2. If you buy a vehicle sold privately (not a dealer) I would be cautious. I phoned 13 10 84 to check it was not defected, written off or stolen but you need the VIN number for that. I also checked with ezyreg (ezyreg.sa.gov.au) that the car had rego still on it and with 1300 007 777 to check there was no finance owing on the car. I believe we paid around $20 for that one.

3. If the car has rego, the seller should have a current certificate which is signed by both parties then taken to the rego office. If it doesn't have rego, I don't think you are even allowed to drive it home but whatever, you will pay an extra fee and need some kind of paperwork to prove ownership.

4. The left-turn thing is simple. Most left turns at junctions can be taken as soon as the road is clear, unless there is a sign stating otherwise or traffic lights. Obviously, pedestrians have right of way, but that might just be my sweet nature :)

5. Park in the same direction of the traffic ie. point the vehicle forward. Does that make sense?

Can't think of anything else and my family is hectoring me for dinner lol!

Sigh,

LC ;)

Guest Guest5035
Hi Xhako,

Ok, here are my ramblings lol.....

1. Rego covers the car being on the road plus includes third-party accident cover. As I understand it, if you were involved in an accident and the other driver suffered any injuries, the rego-insurance would cover them BUT not damage to either vehicle. If you want to be insured against damage to your car, loss of your car through an accident, theft etc you would need to buy insurance. The choices are the same as in the UK - compehensive, third party etc.

2. If you buy a vehicle sold privately (not a dealer) I would be cautious. I phoned 13 10 84 to check it was not defected, written off or stolen but you need the VIN number for that. I also checked with ezyreg (ezyreg.sa.gov.au) that the car had rego still on it and with 1300 007 777 to check there was no finance owing on the car. I believe we paid around $20 for that one.

3. If the car has rego, the seller should have a current certificate which is signed by both parties then taken to the rego office. If it doesn't have rego, I don't think you are even allowed to drive it home but whatever, you will pay an extra fee and need some kind of paperwork to prove ownership.

4. The left-turn thing is simple. Most left turns at junctions can be taken as soon as the road is clear, unless there is a sign stating otherwise or traffic lights. Obviously, pedestrians have right of way, but that might just be my sweet nature :)

5. Park in the same direction of the traffic ie. point the vehicle forward. Does that make sense?

Can't think of anything else and my family is hectoring me for dinner lol!

Sigh,

LC ;)

in your rush to make dinner, you forgot a couple of things,

always drive as close as you can to the car in front.

never let any one merge in.

always drive in the outside lane at 5kmph slower than the limit.

never take your eyes off the speedo otherwise you'll get a letter off the radar boys.

don't worry if you see a wrecked car driving alongside you, as yours will be like than soon.

stevo:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75

never take your eyes off the speedo otherwise you'll get a letter off the radar boys.

don't worry if you see a wrecked car driving alongside you, as yours will be like than soon.

She can't cook anyway Steve........................

:biglaugh::huh::shocked::smile:

My own little tips here:

Indicators are not compulsory. The car coming the opposite way to you on the roundabout may not necessarily be indicating a right turn but that doesn't mean to say he isn't going to.

Filtering is punishable by death.

Drivers might turn their lights on when it starts to get dark - or they might not. See how the mood takes them really.

It is strongly inadvisable to let another car into the gap on front of you. This causes serious loss of face and you will be ridiculed by every other road user. Try to close the gap by driving a bit faster.

Hope this helps.

Guest Guest75
Can't cook; don't care!

:wink: LC

Noted.................by most..........:tongue::tongue:

Getting the feeling I am really tempting a right bit of abuse here!

Sorry to OP but I cannot resist a bit of banter with Mrs LC.

Guest Xhako

Ahhh fanx guys, much appreicated

So - my plan is to go to a shouty fat bloke (SFB) advertising on telly, claiming to 'do me a good deal - little laydee' but make sure it has REGO and take the signed cert to the 'Rego office'

Then... using my cunning admin skills, produce my no claims bonus from the uk to get a 'fair deal' on fully comp insurance

Hmmm... so maybe go for something less than 200,000k on the clock

I really want a Ute - cos they're cool and Joe Mangle had one!

Do I need to pay extra for the 'Rego' or will it be part of the deal I get from SFB?

What is a reasonable amount to spend on a 'first car', maybe $7,000?

Ta

PS - Tyke you don't know how lucky you are !

Guest patsmb
Ahhh fanx guys, much appreicated

So - my plan is to go to a shouty fat bloke (SFB) advertising on telly, claiming to 'do me a good deal - little laydee' but make sure it has REGO and take the signed cert to the 'Rego office'

Then... using my cunning admin skills, produce my no claims bonus from the uk to get a 'fair deal' on fully comp insurance

Hmmm... so maybe go for something less than 200,000k on the clock

I really want a Ute - cos they're cool and Joe Mangle had one!

Do I need to pay extra for the 'Rego' or will it be part of the deal I get from SFB?

What is a reasonable amount to spend on a 'first car', maybe $7,000?

Ta

PS - Tyke you don't know how lucky you are !

If the car still had Rego it will go with the car BUT you will pay stamp duty on transferring it into your name and that goes on the cost of the car so get the SFB to do a bloody good deal You might need to sort your Aussie driving license out first as they link car in your name to DL Fully com insurance shop around or you could pay more than you pay for the car