6 weeks in ...... weekend recommendations, aged care work?

So we have been here 6 weeks today, we have sorted out:

Cars, tfn, bank, medicare, medibank, phones, internet, rental, insurance, got the cats etc hopefully all the important bits and bobs! We are still on a steep learning curve with everything but then who isn't? and probably still will be for the next few years:err:

My OH has been working since the 2nd week and I am hoping to be in work within the next month or so once my training course has finished so if anyone has any recommendation within the aged care sector let me know which companies are good to work for, ideally home support as that is what I have experience in? Got an interview or two lined up but have to get the cert 3 before it can go any further.

I have always felt when I visit Australia that is like coming home for me I get a sense of peace from being here (however fluffy that sounds! but I have been coming here for the last 12 years) I have always been a little worried about how my OH would settle, I have to say I didn't give him enough credit (but don't tell him that) he has taken to it like a duck to water and surprised me last week by saying he felt just as at home as I did, I know he has good and bad days as he has never lived far from his parents but with the aid of Skype and Vodafone international he probably talks to them more now than he did when he was in England, I think it is the one think we all struggle a bit with.

We have stayed close to home most weekends going for walks at Port Noarlunga getting to know the local area, trying to get the bargains while we wait for our stuff etc but wondered what people would recommend for visiting, walking, wildlife etc that doesn't cost the earth as we still need to keep a close eye on the dollars for a fair while yet, especially with only one wages to cover everything, but we would like to do a bit more exploring so wondered what other people could suggest?:idea:

The weather forecast for this weekend is rain, rain, rain, so go indoors! Why not head up to the City and visit the museums along North Terrace - the South Australian museum is very interesting, there's also the Migration museum and the Art gallery. Then get the free tram to the Central Markets, wander round Chinatown - heaps to do for free!!

Cudlee Creek Wildlife Park have an offer through Scoopon at the moment - http://www.scoopon.com.au/deals/45612/cudlee-creek-enjoy-a-day-out-with-the-family-at-gorge-wildlife-pak

Also Morialta is lovely this time of year - plenty of water in the waterfalls. Belair Park is great, always sure of spotting a koala or two there. Mount Lofty is good if you haven't been up there yet, and Cleland is just near there. The Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens are also lovely particularly this time of year. And of course there are wineries and breweries to visit. Lobethal is a good one.

Just thought, it's well worth signing up for the Weekend Notes emails for mre suggestions

example here http://www.weekendnotes.com/anstey-hill-recreation-park/?sb=1&i=1&j=1&k=1&wemid=29112&wuid=243751&ap=gkjhKCr3Cb

Edited by Diane
to add another link

Cudlee Creek Wildlife Park have an offer through Scoopon at the moment - http://www.scoopon.com.au/deals/45612/cudlee-creek-enjoy-a-day-out-with-the-family-at-gorge-wildlife-pak

Also Morialta is lovely this time of year - plenty of water in the waterfalls. Belair Park is great, always sure of spotting a koala or two there. Mount Lofty is good if you haven't been up there yet, and Cleland is just near there. The Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens are also lovely particularly this time of year. And of course there are wineries and breweries to visit. Lobethal is a good one.

Just thought, it's well worth signing up for the Weekend Notes emails for mre suggestions

example here http://www.weekendnotes.com/anstey-hill-recreation-park/?sb=1&i=1&j=1&k=1&wemid=29112&wuid=243751&ap=gkjhKCr3Cb

Hi Diane,

I took your advice whilst we were over there and went to belair park, wow its was so beautiful the wildlife was spectacular and we saw a koala! x

So we have been here 6 weeks today, we have sorted out:

Cars, tfn, bank, medicare, medibank, phones, internet, rental, insurance, got the cats etc hopefully all the important bits and bobs! We are still on a steep learning curve with everything but then who isn't? and probably still will be for the next few years:err:

My OH has been working since the 2nd week and I am hoping to be in work within the next month or so once my training course has finished so if anyone has any recommendation within the aged care sector let me know which companies are good to work for, ideally home support as that is what I have experience in? Got an interview or two lined up but have to get the cert 3 before it can go any further.

I have always felt when I visit Australia that is like coming home for me I get a sense of peace from being here (however fluffy that sounds! but I have been coming here for the last 12 years) I have always been a little worried about how my OH would settle, I have to say I didn't give him enough credit (but don't tell him that) he has taken to it like a duck to water and surprised me last week by saying he felt just as at home as I did, I know he has good and bad days as he has never lived far from his parents but with the aid of Skype and Vodafone international he probably talks to them more now than he did when he was in England, I think it is the one think we all struggle a bit with.

We have stayed close to home most weekends going for walks at Port Noarlunga getting to know the local area, trying to get the bargains while we wait for our stuff etc but wondered what people would recommend for visiting, walking, wildlife etc that doesn't cost the earth as we still need to keep a close eye on the dollars for a fair while yet, especially with only one wages to cover everything, but we would like to do a bit more exploring so wondered what other people could suggest?:idea:

I coordinate a scheme that places volunteers in a lot of the southern suburbs aged care facilities. Basically you are matched up with a lonely resident and commit to visit them for social contact for minimum of one hour once a fortnight. May be a good way to get your face known and see how it all works while waiting for cert 3? Pm me if you want more info