Flights to and from the UK using multiple airlines

Hi guys!

I've had some great news - going to be an auntie!! :arghh: - so will be looking to take a trip back to the UK in the early part of next year. Have been getting an idea on prices for flights around March and the best deals seem to be those using multiple airlines and 2 rather than 1 stop. Best deal we have found so far is approx. $1760 going from Adelaide to Sydney with Qantas, Sydney to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific and finally on to Heathrow with British Airways. Although it is a rather convoluted way round the one stop fares are about $700 per person more expensive.

So firstly - has anyone done this and how did you find it?

And secondly as it is with numerous other airlines would we have to clear customs at both Sydney and Hong Kong to reclaim our baggage and check in again??

It is only going to be me and hubby - no kids - so we at least don't have that worry.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Sally

The checking of luggage all the way through depends whether the airlines have an agreement. Most of the big ones do so it shouldn't be a problem. If your ticket has been issued for the whole flight, rather than multiple flights then I would say your luggage will be checked all the way through.

Guest Claire-n-tel

hi Sally!

Have you checked bestflights? i just had a quick look at march, they have adelaide to heathrow via sydney out 4th march back 25 for $1796 with virgin......worth a look...

We have done a mixed flight journey a couple of times, it really depends on how long the stops are and if you have to collect your luggage or not, the second time we did it our total travel time was about 38 hours and we had to collect our bags in kl and wait for 5 hours! aghhh! to be honest i'd have to be saving a lot of money to do it again!

i usually look on a site like bestflights to get an idea then look directly on the airline website to compare you sometimes find them cheaper, also helps if you are a bit flexible with dates

good luck and congrats on future auntiehood!

claire

My daughter flew with Virgin via Sydney and we've done it a couple of times - even those that are supposedly one stop are sometimes not (Cathay for instance goes Adelaide-Melbourne-HK-LHR-HK-Adelaide). Usually you can check the luggage all the way through on the way out, but on the way back you do have to collect it at your first point of entry into Australia (so Sydney) to clear customs. When I was looking at flights earlier this year, there were also some good deals flying to Frankfurt, then connecting frm Frankfurt into London City Airport, which I really liked the sound of (I detest Heathrow!).

Oh congratulations btw!!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Diane - did you daughter go back to the UK with Virgin and if so how did she find them? The reason I ask is because I am struggling to find one decent review about their long haul services. I've flown them within Australia and have had no issues but when you're on a long haul flight you want to know it's going to be reasonable.

I'll ask her on Tuesday when she gets home Sally! We've flown with them too on our first trip back - in 2006, I thought they were fine - food was good, entertainment was good... I seem to remember we had delays coming back and missed our connection back to Adelaide and therefore had quite a long wait, but we just checked in our cases then went off and did a harbour cruise for a couple of hours (I remember it well as it was wintertime in the UK and summer here, so we had really warm clothes on!) The good thing about flying Virgin is that you get velocity miles which you can then use within Aus afterwards. We actually used ours to get quite a big discount off our flights to Fiji the following year. Still trying to think of something to do with the Asia Miles we got from Cathay!

Oh, Virgin were really good about letting Lucy change her return flights too from England - she was supposed to be back in March but just rang them up a few days before and extended her visit, no charge. We booked through Zuji.

hi the route you have found is a popular way to do it at the moment as it is a really good deal - it does not matter that its a few different airlines as it is all issued as 1 ticket so if you miss 1 connection each airlines has to take responsibility for you and get u on the next flight as they are all part of the one world group. on the way out your bags will go straight through to London and on the way home you will collect your luggage in Sydney and clear customs there and then transfer to the domestic terminal. you can use the qantas transfer bus in Sydney both ways as the domestic leg is with them so it is easier to change terminals but just make sure you have at least a 90 min connection there otherwise you forfeit the right to have the following airline take responsibility for you as it is deemed you did not leave reasonable time( the site should not let you book with a shorter connection but some do!!)

Have you checked Japan airlines? I ask as they often only have a one stop flight and offer an overnight in Tokyo (hotel room paid for as part of the deal overnight) and can come in a lot cheaper because of the overnight stay. Luggage is sorted for you and you simply get taken back to the airport the next morning in time for your flight.

As has been said, you shouldn't need to worry about checked bags as they will be sorted.

The good thing about flying Virgin is that you get velocity miles which you can then use within Aus afterwards. We actually used ours to get quite a big discount off our flights to Fiji the following year. Still trying to think of something to do with the Asia Miles we got from Cathay!

This is just a little aside, but Cathay is part of the Oneworld alliance, as is Qantas, so if you have enough Asia Miles you can actually use them to get a domestic Qantas flight. (though you need enough miles with Cathay, you can't combine them with miles you have with Qantas directly)

Thanks everyone.

Just another question. I've been told it's best to book as far in advance as possible but was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this. We are lucky that we are flexible with the times as we are waiting to go after the baby will have been born. I'm tempted to wait but also don't want to risk increase in prices.

Thoughts please??

Sally :unsure:

If you're going March, that's a really popular time for sales. (usually March/April and Oct/Nov have the best specials). Sign up for sale notifications/newsletters from the cheaper airlines - Malaysian often do $1500 into London with a good route - just Adelaide - Kuala Lumpar for about 3 hours then into Heathrow so I think you'd be ok for cheaper in March. It's still a long way off - I wouldn't book yet personally unless you get a great deal or your perfect airline/times for under $1700.

• 1 month later...

Yes I did look into Emirates and was hoping to go with them as I had heard some really good things about them but there price is currently at over $2500 per person - and with 2 of us that's a lot. I have managed to secure a good deal with Malaysian so just the one stop in KL for 4 hours and then on to Heathrow.

But thank you all for your input. :notworthy:

We are looking at going back next year but currently flights are coming back at $3000 each so for 5 of us that's $15,000 plus accommodation, car hire, spends etc it just doesn't seem worth it.

Although hubby did it using Scoot to Singapore which was $400 return (I know sometimes they do it for around $250 return) then Finair from Singy, this was around $1200 in total so may look in to this further closer to the time.