McLaren Vale Day Out!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Guest Claire-n-tel

Morning All!

We had a fantastic day in McLaren Vale on Tuesday, well worth doing!

We hired a self drive mini bus, cost around $180 with fuel and mileage. There was 10 of us so sharing the cost was a bit of a bargin!

We started off with brunch in the Tin Shed Cafe, i hadn't booked a table, oops! but they were fantastic, put us in the garden on a huge table where we could all eat together, we all ordered our own breakfast etc at the bar and the food and drinks arrived very quickly with not one mistake!

Then, bellys lined we hit the wineries! There are so many around there (apparently 72!) so we had randonly picked out 10 and planned a route expecting that we might get around 5.

After 5 stops we needed coffee so popped back to the Tin Shed! Then stopped in at the cheese shop (yummy!) and bakery to collect some lunch supplies as One of the wineries let you bring your own picnic.

After our picnic lunch we hit one more place before heading back to Adelaide, all slightly squiffy, sunburnt, tired

and laddened down with more than a few bottles!

So....recommendations?......well we ended up visiting 7 wineries.....

Shingleback

Olivers

Coriole

Chapel hill

Rosemont

Echidna

Fox Creek

Our favorite wines were from Shingleback, Rosemont, and Fox Creek. Fox Creek was also our favorite winery, we had been told you can bring your own picnic there so we picked up some bread and cheese on the way, the lady offered us to sit in the garden or even on the veranda. Once we were settled in the garden she brought us out platters to put our cheese on, bottles of water and glasses and then came in and out with about 8 wines for us to taste while we ate! They were amazingly lovely and welcoming.

Would definatly recomend the Tin Shed, (its also in the entertainment book) but also the carriage cafe is lovely, but closed on Tuesdays!

If you can get together a group, hiring a minibus was great, only one driver needed (poor Tel!) and not at all expensive, we'd looked at the organised tours and they cost upwards of $80 per person!

If you are feeling fit you could actually do a walkingor bike tour, i think we drove about 12km and visitied 7 wineries but we also drove past probably 10 more, there are also about 10 or 12 within town.

We had such a great day!

Claire

We loved the day out,I can't add a lot more to your comments Claire - apart from.........

I'll do the driving next time - to be fair.

We we so lucky with the weather!

Just how nice was the front of house at Fox Creek??? I have emailed them to say what a lovely visit we had and how Rosalind looked after us ( It would be funny to see the 5 O'Clock face!:shocked:)

Shingleback was our favourite.

My tastebuds ain't what they used to be - I could not taste $75 in that wine!!

Wooodstock and Wirra Wirra on the "schedule" next time!!

Lovely bunch of fellow travellers as well.

So yep,love to do it again soon.:smile:

Sounds fabulous! My favourite wineries in and around the Vale (after 6 years regular practice!) are Samuel's Gorge and Alpha Box and Dice (both truly boutique and very unique) and Oliver's Taranga all smaller and a bit quirky and you won't find their wines in Woolies etc. Some of the bigger ones I take visitors to are Coriole (such pretty gardens and great Italian varietals) and D'Arenberg for the sheer range on offer.

Too many great wineries to mention, but also love Pertaringa, Hugh Hamilton, Ekhidna for beer tasting/alcoholic ginger beers (plus wines) and great, good value tapas (my fave lunch spot outside of fine dining or picnic options), and Lloyd Brothers for olive/olive oil tasting and lots of lovely stuff in the shop (plus alpacas and a lovely pond to wander with overseas visitors).

I usually call in at Graham Steven's - oldest winemaker in SA will working I believe - for his fantastic $8 'Arrogant Cleanskins' which are brilliant for everyday drinking.

We are so lucky to have such a beautiful spot so nearby, and I don't know of any wineries in McLaren Vale who charge for tastings as yet (much more common in other states, and a handful of Barossa, Hills and Clare wineries have started or plan to start in the next year). Also love a drive along/swim at Silver Sands/Sellicks beach on a summer's day wine tasting.

Guest Claire-n-tel

It was so difficult to choose which ones to go to....spoilt for choice!

Soo Ekhidna charge you to taste the beers ($5) and to be honest we were really unimpressed with the place, the lady was rude and rushed, we all tried 1 wine and then 5 of us decided to try the beers the little glasses had probably 1cm of beer and the rest froth and once she started on the beer she forgot all about the wine so ended up only ever trying one wine. Funnily enough she didn't get any sales out of us!