No flies on me

bill

Cazzie and I have just returned from a week at the Gold Coast, catching up with my son in Brisbane. We have been delighted by the lack of flies. It's such a joy to be out and about without all the arm-waving and buzzing around the face that are a feature of life in Adelaide.

Just need my daughter and granddaughter to move up there and we would be very tempted!

Does anybody know why the Gold Coast should be so free of the wretched things, and Adelaide so affected? We even went inland to the green and pleasant hinterland for a day, and again, no flies. Ditto in the Brisbane suburbs.

This was my 5th visit in 13 years, though only my 2nd outside of winter, and it has always been so.

Any explanations?

Also, does anybody think that this is a very bad spring for the number of flies?

After 24 years in Adelaide, you'd think I would get used to it, but I'll always be a whinging pom in that respect!

Guest Guest12727

I had a similar experience when staying with a friend in Brisbane, 3km from centre of CBD. We were sitting on the deck, with the doors to the family room/kitchen wide open with no fly screen. They don't have any problems with flies. We would never be able to do that here, and I often wonder about those big folding doors that open outside to inside - do they ever get used? Can't imagine doors open without screens here in Adelaide.

I have heard it is a very bad year for flies - very little sticky ones. Something to do with the wetter winter and spring growth. We don't seem to have them here in the foothills, ours are very large and noisy and get inside the second a door is opened!!

Guest Guest75

It's been very bad at times this year for some reason. Perhaps we are a bit closer to the agricultural areas????

Had a beaut Bluebottle in my coffee last week - didn't realize until I took a slug of it...........yek!

Do you know that flies do not fly above two stories???

Dreadful last couple of weeks for flies where we are. Every one of us seems to have our very own half a dozen constant pests whenever we set foot outside. Similar to Bill, we were up in Qld last month (Cairns/Port Douglas) and the only insects we saw were butterflies. Not always like that, I know, but makes the flies here seem even worse.