Thailand - health advice please

Guest TheTodds

Guest TheTodds

Hello.

We are travelling to Thailand in March next year for a family wedding - ideal place to meet family from UK! I asked my doctor what immunisations we need and he said I had to see a travel doctor. I found one in Adelaide and made an appointment for next month but it will cost $300 for the four of us just for the consultation plus the cost of whatever jabs / treatment we need. I can't afford this!!

I have read a bit of stuff on the net on Thailand and it seems we may not need to have anything but just wondered if anyone else had any good advice on this.

We will be in Phitsanulok for 4 days then Krabi.

Thanks, Helen.

I must stress I am not a doctor I am only a travel agent but generally people don't have vaccinations to go to Thailand unless u r way out in the jungle somewhere - I would def not pay $300 just for the consultation and there is a website called travel doctor which generally gives pretty good advice

unless you have a bit of an off the wall medical condition which means u mite be more susceptible to something then most people don't go with anything other than a bit of bug repellant!!

have a great trip

p.s. again stress I am not a medical person so don't hunt me down if u catch a bug but this is highly unlikely in my experience!!!

Guest Claire-n-tel
I must stress I am not a doctor I am only a travel agent but generally people don't have vaccinations to go to Thailand unless u r way out in the jungle somewhere - I would def not pay $300 just for the consultation and there is a website called travel doctor which generally gives pretty good advice

unless you have a bit of an off the wall medical condition which means u mite be more susceptible to something then most people don't go with anything other than a bit of bug repellant!!

have a great trip

p.s. again stress I am not a medical person so don't hunt me down if u catch a bug but this is highly unlikely in my experience!!!

Hep A is really common in thailand, from contaminated food and water. salads, fruit juice, ice cubes, cocktails and tea would be the most common ways to contract it, lots of people don't bother with jabs for thailand, most of them i wouldn't have but hep A is one i am always up to date on, there was a large number of cases in 2011 from thailand. The mortality rate for hep A is about 1 in 250 cases but the vaccination has a very good protection rate.

Edited by Claire-n-tel

Hi Helen.

We have been to Thailand Twice, No vaccinations needed. We travelled around quite a bit and my son was only 1 year old.

Save your money.

Cheers Jason

Hello.

We are travelling to Thailand in March next year for a family wedding - ideal place to meet family from UK! I asked my doctor what immunisations we need and he said I had to see a travel doctor. I found one in Adelaide and made an appointment for next month but it will cost $300 for the four of us just for the consultation plus the cost of whatever jabs / treatment we need. I can't afford this!!

I have read a bit of stuff on the net on Thailand and it seems we may not need to have anything but just wondered if anyone else had any good advice on this.

We will be in Phitsanulok for 4 days then Krabi.

Thanks, Helen.

I would def not bother with that consultation! I would however always get a typhoid and hep a injection (it comes as vaccines for both in one shot) before going to any country where food hygiene may not be up to scratch. I recall that cost less than $70 for me about 3 years ago. Also most doctors will run a travel clinic a certain day or two each week - cheaper than going to a proper travel clinic, such as Travel Bug in north adelaide etc. You don't need anti malaria, rabies, tetatnus etc generally for a normal holiday to tourist areas - just if you're going for months/to somewhere particularly jungle-y/going to work closely with animals or in a hospital etc. Enjoy your holiday!

Guest TheTodds

Thanks for all your good advice. I will definitely cancel the appointment and just look at getting us the Hep A jabs.

Pleased to hear such positive reviews of Thailand – especially Phitsanulok Toni. I have never met anyone other than my sister-in-law to be that has been there.

Thanks again.

• 5 months later...