Great ocean road

huggesy

Hi - My parents came over to visit last year and asked exactly the same question. We tried various travel agents but none of the tours started from Adelaide - they all started from Melbourne. We ended up doing a road trip - Robe, Narracoorte, Mt. Gambier then the Gt. Ocean Road, ending at Torquay then driving back through Ballarat and Horsham.

From Mt. Gambier we drove south and along the coast through Nelson to Portland. This seemed to be endless forest and whilst very pretty, I wouldn't do it again. From Portland we drove to Port Fairy, through Warnambool, Port Campbell National Park and on to the 12 Apostles. Then on through Apollo Bay, Lorne and ended up just outside Torquay.

The road from the 12 Apostles to Torquay is very slow going, as it follows the coastline. Maximum speeds of 30-40kpm as the road is very twisty. Having said that, it was the most spectacular scenery and well worth the journey.

If we had to do it again I think we would start from Melbourne, drive along to the 12 Apostles (perhaps to Port Fairy) and then drive back to Melbourne (not all in the one day I hasten to add). The rest of the journey along the coast back towards South Australia is just trees, trees and more trees as far as I remember.

Hope this helps.

WEndy

We did it ourselves and we loved it, went with a big bunch of us, my mum, step dad, sister and my 80ish something nan at the time lol, they loved it, really depends what level of comfort you are looking for we stopped off a lot in some some motels its a fantastic trip we stopped at most of those places mentioned in a previous comment, highly recommended and also visiting Melbourne at the end x

My mum is coming over next year and wants to do a little travelling, can anyone recommend a good company to do a tour along the great ocean road for more of the older generation? Or do people believe it is better by car?

A couple of years ago I arranged a tour along the GOR with a company based in Naracoorte for my elderly but very well travelled parents. They arranged the tour just for them and we could choose where to go or take their recommendations. My parents were very pleased with the trip. They were picked up at the station in Naracoorte and finally dropped off at Melbourne airport. Can't remember the cost or the ladies name but she was very very helpful. The company is called Goin' South.

Hi,

I took my parents down the GOR this year. We lived in Melbourne prior to Adelaide so knew quite a bit about the Melbourne end.

We drove inland through Naracoorte and hit the GOR at Portland (possibly one of the most un-inspiring places I've ever stayed) then spent a full day driving from there to The Otways. We took our time and stopped off at the various viewing places and look outs and mum and dad did a helicopter flight over the Apostles. I wouldn't really agree that it's a 30/40 Km road though, in my experience people doing those speeds get beeped at! Bits of it do certainly almost switch back though and it's great to drive (but the driver does have to concentrate and miss out on the views a bit)

The Otways Fly is worth a look. My dads got severe arthritis and struggles to get around but they have a buggy to get to the start of the tree top walk and it's completely flat. We stated in the Orways and got there first thing when it was quitet and had a beautiful peaceful walk through the tree tops.

I would highly recommend staying in Lorne or Apollo Bay as they are beautiful little sea side towns with a few bars and restaurants. Lorne has koalas in the trees up the back and the cockatoos will land on your head/arms/ anywhere and are super friendly and polite :-) there's also a look out in Lorne that you can drive up to which is a cool spot for a photo of the road.

From the GOR we went across on the ferry to the Mornington Peninsula and stayed a night or 2 there to have a look at the Nepean National Park and Arthur's Seat and then drove into Melbourne via the Dandenongs for a ride on Puffing Billy.

I personally would recommend doing it yourself as you can be as fast or as slow as you like, but depends what you're after and how much time you have. It's also a pretty long drive back. Me and my husband drive directly back after leaving my folks at Melbournr airport, and took about 8 hours straight.

Whatwever you do , I'm sure they'll love it!