HOW cold?????

Some of us were talking today, and being British the conversation inevitably came round to the weather. We were debating as to how cold the weather can get here in the winter and whether it's ever snowed here (I don't mean blizzard like conditions, just a few flakes!) We arrived at the end of last July and I seem to remember it was mainly sunny and not particularly cold during the day but absolutely perishing at night! I'm looking to some of you old timers to put us right.:notworthy:

This weather that we are having now is pretty much what you'd expect in June/ July/August with the daytime temps not too bad with some warmth in the sun during the day. In our house in mid winter it is sometimes warmer out in the sun than inside. It has snowed, but it is usually only up on Mount Lofty and it doesn't stay for long, it doesn't happen very often. It can hail and I've seen that stick on the ground for about 1/2 an hour, but that is rare too. It's colder in them there hills of course. If there is a cold snap it can get down to 0 before dawn, but that's when the sky is clear. I wouldn't worry too much, it will warm up again before winter sets right in. My girls are going back to school in their winter uniform, which means tights, woolen skirts, jumpers, blazers so it's bound to warm up after this week ,so they feel hot.

Guest Guest75

Brrr!!!

It is a coldie today - mind you I've warmed up after a bottle of mighty Shiraz.

I remember it snowing in the hills about 5 years ago but it did not lay.

:nah:

Oh god I wish!!! Just taken the dog for a walk in my fleece jumper and waterproof coat! Haven't seen the sun come out this weekend - even though the weather report said it was (I know I shouldn't take what the weatherman says literally).

Hey ho - english summertime here we come, here's hoping. ;)

Guest dale_jo@

It can get pretty cold out here!!!

We live in Happy Valley and it seems to get very cold (Base of Foothills), around 10 degrees in winter and at night it can drop to 4-5, sometimes even colder especially if the wind picks up!!!!!!

Here comes WINTER!!!!

BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Guest Guest75
Ah and we've had a lovely weekend, here in sunny south east england. Even ate our salads alfresco!!!!!!!!

I didn't realise you were nudists.................:biglaugh:

Guest Tina P

Hi

We arrived in July and it was cold during the day especially first thing and freezing on an evening and night.

I have planned ahead for the winter but dreading it. :sad:

Just sorted out winter school uniform, trousers and tights.

When we got this rental we did not think about heating just happy to get somewhere to live but advice for any new arrival is to check what heating is in the house, we have just a gas fire and its not enough.

We have bought portable heaters, blankets and fleecy pj's.

A dreading the winter - Tina

Convection heaters are a good way to go for other rooms as they take the background chill off a room.

We use quilts(doonas), not blankets and only heat our house in the evening or if it is really cold in the daytime on weekends. We put on jumpers, but I still don't wear shoes in the house in winter. No I am not a hippy or feral.

Guest hrubieszowianka

Well, with all this talking about winter, should I pack my coats, boots and hats? Or will warm fleeces and cardigance suffice? I'm currently in the process of going through my warderobe and giving things away.

Guest Sharon and Paul

hi all , you sound just like all us poms back here in cold, rain ,wind, lightning, thunder, a bit of sun overcast , all this in one day ENGLAND???????? DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE PLACES ? all the best .

Guest Tina P
Well, with all this talking about winter, should I pack my coats, boots and hats? Or will warm fleeces and cardigance suffice? I'm currently in the process of going through my warderobe and giving things away.

Hi,

Bring your boots and coats.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest moonraker1959

Hi I used to live in Lobethal (in the Adelaide hills)and yes freezing to say the least,well it went below zero most nights in winter.We had snow one year that actually settled,had'nt snowed there for 50 years before that but beautiful site!!! I used to have a woodburner and yes it was on practically 24/7 in winter time,also pot of soup on stove most days simmering away!!!

Guest Diane

Hey Moonraker couldn't you just turn on your old Christmas lights and gather round them to keep warm?? (For those who don't know, Lobethal has a reputation for the most amazing Christmas light displays - you can even drive round the village on a special route to see them all, and just about every house there really enters into the spirit of things!)

Guest lynne

We are coming over in March to validate our visa for 3 weeks.

What will be the average temperture duing this time of year?

Can anyone tell us how cold will it be in the day? We expect it to be chilly in the evening.

If we book a house with a heated pool, would the children use it or would it still be too cold?

lyn

Guest Django
Hey Moonraker couldn't you just turn on your old Christmas lights and gather round them to keep warm??

Only problem there is Christmas is in Summer. :v_SPIN:

Pete

Guest Guest75

Pete

More often than not it turns cool here on Christmas Day.

Especially when we have family visiting and a BBQ breakfast on the beach planned:wacko:

Guest Diane

Pete

That's why I said "old" Christmas lights;)

March could be fantastic - in the mid thirties during the day, doesn't get all that cold in the evenings that time of year either. Feb/Mar are generally our hottest months, but of course, you are heading into Autumn so bring a couple of fleeces just in case... And plenty of sun cream!

Guest The Angus Clan
Oh god I wish!!! Just taken the dog for a walk in my fleece jumper and waterproof coat! Haven't seen the sun come out this weekend - even though the weather report said it was (I know I shouldn't take what the weatherman says literally).

Hey ho - english summertime here we come, here's hoping. ;)

I can really sympathise as I have had heating on best part of today! Try the Scottish summer! We all go through the motions of wearing lighter weight , summer attire ,between the monhts of May - Sept, but its really a charade! We are freezing our backsides off ..... !:arghh: