Adelaide to Alice Road Trip

Afternoon folks,

so a cheeky road trip is on the cards, we bagged a Motorhome Relocation for 5 days one way Adl-Alice.

After some advice on where to stop (I know theres much KMs of nothing on this drive).

We are definitely wanting to stop at Cooper Pedy and kip underground in a cave :biggrin: and our other confirmed stop will be Uluru. So really looking for ideas for the other two stops. One between here and Cooper Pedy (Woomera?) and then one between Cooper and Uluru.

We want to maximise our time at Cooper and Uluru so the others are more pit stop style.

Anyone done this trip in a similar timeframe? Cheers in advance

Guest Claire-n-tel
Afternoon folks,

so a cheeky road trip is on the cards, we bagged a Motorhome Relocation for 5 days one way Adl-Alice.

After some advice on where to stop (I know theres much KMs of nothing on this drive).

We are definitely wanting to stop at Cooper Pedy and kip underground in a cave :biggrin: and our other confirmed stop will be Uluru. So really looking for ideas for the other two stops. One between here and Cooper Pedy (Woomera?) and then one between Cooper and Uluru.

We want to maximise our time at Cooper and Uluru so the others are more pit stop style.

Anyone done this trip in a similar timeframe? Cheers in advance

Hi Johnny!

We lived in Alice for a while so done that trip a good few times and the Alice-Uluru too many times to mention!

I would suggest......

Adelaide to pimba (near woomera) 5-6 hrs (night 1)

pimba to coober pedy 4-4.5hrs (night 2)

coober to erldunda 5-6hrs (night 3)

erldunda to uluru 4-5hrs (nights 4&5)

uluru to alice 6-7hrs

I'd suggest 2 nights in Uluru, first night you can see sunset at the rock and then go for dinner and a beer somewhere (the bbq place is good and not too expensive) next day you can see the cultural centre, wander around the rock base maybe see sunset at the Olgas (we like them more than the rock!) get up early to see sunrise over Uluru then leave for Alice Springs.

What time do you have to drop off though, lots of times relocations have to be delivered by 10 am at the moment sunrise there is around 6.45 so you wasnt to be there by 6 and stay until 7.30 then 6-7 hrs to get to Alice so you wouldn't arrive before 2pm......If that is the case you can often pay some money to deliver it a bit later so worth asking...

The other thing i would say is please never never drive either dawn or dusk or in the dark, even more so in NT We spent a year traveling the country in a motorhome and stuck to that rule and never hit anything more than a bird, when in Alice we got caught taking some visitors out and grtting home late, we hit a male 6 ft red kangaroo, $4000 damage to our motorhome, if we'd been in anything smaller we'd have been writen off.

If you want to know any more feel free to ask!.....have fun!

Guest Claire-n-tel

One other ting to bear in mind is the weather, at this time of year day times are 30-35c and at night drops to mid teens so take a jacket, sunrise will feel freezing!

Thanks Claire-n-tel, that's a grand reply:cool:

Loads of good info there. I like youre idea of 2 nights at Uluru, only thing is we may be pushed for time as we only have the fun-bus for 4 nights. The other thought I had was miss out the erldunda part and just head straight to Uluru from Cooper Pedy. Would mean a long drive, 9 hrs maybe? Doable you think?

Ill check if they will let us drop off later, I know the last time we did a relocation Adelaide to Melbourne we asked and they weren't budging, it had to be back by 10am. Will ask the question though.

Thanks again.

PS motorhome relocations rock

Guest Claire-n-tel

Ok........personally if i had to do a long haul day it would be Adelaide to Coober Pedy, Woomera is really not that interesting if you are pushed for time....so maybe do

Adelaide to coober pedy 9-10hrs (night 1)

coober to erldunda 5-6hrs (night 2)

erldunda to uluru 4-5hrs (nights 3&4)

i wouldn't recommend doing Coober Pedy straight to Uluru, firstly it is further prob 11-12hrs, also sunrise in CP at the moment is around 7.30am so you wouldn't want to be setting off before then and then sunset in Uluru is around 6.45pm so you want to actually be at to viewing area by 6pm giving you only 10ish hours to arrive, book in and drive out to the rock (around 30km from what i remember)

Setting off early i would rather do from Adelaide as less chance of wildlife (although not no chance) Oh and also i realised i told you wrong from Uluru to Alice is only around 5hrs :embarressed: (sorry was thinking to get out to where i was!)

I did Coober Pedy to Uluru as a passenger in a coach. It set off very in the early hours of the morning (in the dark) and arrived mid afternoon. It was a long drive. I remember watching the sunrise over the desert. As Claire said don't drive at night - I suppose coaches and trucks can get away with it but anything smaller would get wrecked by a kangaroo or cattle, which tend to stray onto the road because it stays warm once the sun goes down. My husband used to drive coaches up to Alice and once he hit a kangaroo. It damaged the door to the coach so badly that it wouldn't open, everyone was stuck on board until they arrived at the next coach station and the mechanics managed to open it!

Guest Claire-n-tel
don't drive at night - I suppose coaches and trucks can get away with it but anything smaller would get wrecked by a kangaroo or cattle

Hitting a cow can (and has) derailled trains, it always makes me think cows or big roos could roll a coach or truck:err: