Caravaning in June??

Nicky

Can anyone recommend any good caravan sites? We are coming for a reccie for a couple of weeks in June and as this is primarily a fact finding mission rather than a holiday we are trying to keep costs down as much as possible. We feel we'll probably need the extra pennies for when we make the big move!!

Well I say caravans/chalets but that really depends on the weather. I know its not England but how cold does it get in Oz that time of year? Would we be better off in an apartment, or am I just being a wimp?? Alternatively could anyone recommend a 1 bedroom apartment?

Nicky

Guest Aussie pat

I grew up in Adelaide and we are trying to move back this November if our house sells. Whilst I have never visited this exact site my husband drove past it on a reccie last October and says it looked really nice. West Beach has always been a popular spot for caravanning and is nice and accessible to both the airport and city centre.

In June the weather may be cool with some rain but nowhere near as bad as in the UK. The kids probably won't want to swim outdoors but if it's for a reccie and you are realistic that it's winter over there you should be fine. Just make sure you have heated accomodation.

Goodluck

Hedy

PS If you can get some feedback re how clean and well maintained it is that might be helpful. We booked some accomodation in Airlie Beach for last summer and it looked great on the internet and in the brochure. When we got there everything was broken and it was dirty. Hopefully this will not be the case this time.

Guest Aussie pat

West Beach is the name of the area. The caravan park that has always been there was always run by the local district council. It was lovely and I visited it on several occasions. I note from their website that a similar body runs this new site. I't may be that the new one is on the site of the old one.

Goodluck

Hedy

Its a good place to stay as it's fairly quick to get to places from here. The cabins are basic but they have some newer more upmarket ones. In June it can be fairly cold, but they have heating and aircon. There are tennis courts and other activities onsite. The one drawback to this place is there can at times be a whiffy smell about the place, not sure if it's the drains.

Alternatively you could look for an apartment and being winter and not holidays in June, if you are staying for at least a week you can usually get an upgrade to an exec one. The Rendezvous allegra is nice. Also try www.wotif.com.au for last minute deals.

Thanks for the links. I must admit I'd prefer to stay in an apartment, especially as it'll just be the two of us this time, but my OH keeps telling me that we're going to try to keep it on as much as a shoe string as poss as it's not a holiday. We'll see who wins this one!!

Guest Roo1

Personally, I think caravan parks here are bl**dy expensive! If I was you I'd check out the motels in the area. I've seen rooms available at $70 a night on Anzac Highway much cheaper than a challet at adelaide shores resort. I phoned up today on behalf of a friend and they wanted $170 per night to sleep a family of 4. Thats just wrong. :mad:

Judi x

Guest neil and mari

Hi all, the flights are booked for october for two weeks , we are getting a camper van to visit adelaide , driving from melbourne down Great Ocean Road so any tips tips on good camp sites would be great. Also is there any where to park up in adelaide as the local supermarket car park is not an option !!!!!!!! :wubclub:mari

Personally, I think caravan parks here are bl**dy expensive! If I was you I'd check out the motels in the area. I've seen rooms available at $70 a night on Anzac Highway much cheaper than a challet at adelaide shores resort. I phoned up today on behalf of a friend and they wanted $170 per night to sleep a family of 4. Thats just wrong. :mad:

Judi x

Thanks Judi. I know caravaning is expensive in England but for some reason I thought it might be cheaper in Oz, I don't know why?? I hadn't really considered motels but now you mention it perhaps I'll try that route instead.

Nicky

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Caravaning is cheaper if yo have the van and tow it, I would look in to those short term rentals. There are plenty of them on here. I dont know if they do them for that short a term, but it would probably be cheaper or the same than the price of a carvan for a week and far more comfortable!

sarah

Guest Diane

The caravan parks do seem expensive - we looked for some clients recently and were quite shocked at how pricey they were - and they weren't interested in negotiating off-season discounts either! Have a look at apartments either here...

http://www.baybeachfront.com.au/

or here

http://www.adelaideregent.com.au/

and be prepared to bargain! Remember, it's off season in June, not school holidays, no major festivals - go for it!

Diane

Guest Aussie pat

Hi sorry to sound grim,

Just to warn you we stayed at Bay Beach Front 2 years ago. It was nice until we found a drug addict in our bedroom one night whilst we were in bed. We had lots of things stolen including passports, credit cards, cash. Had to raid the kids' pocket money to scrape together enough cash to get the tram into town so the UK consul could help us. Had no identity documents left. The police confirmed it is a robbery hotspot due to the bay attracting addicts into some of the lower grade housing in some pockets of Glenelg. The same intruder returned a night later smashed a window in a downstairs apartment and broke into another apartment. They caught him because he left finger prints.

The management did absolutely nothing to help us.

Hedy

Guest Aussie pat

Try to avoid the Anzac Highway area near Kurralta Pk as well if you change your mind as it is full of flats with a very mobile population. A friend of mine lives in a house in that area and she says there are problems, usually theft and not violent. Someone even stole her handbag from her car that was parked in her long drive whilst she carried her sleeping toddler into the house. She only left it a minute or 2.

Hope I don't sound too negative but it's best if you are warned. It's probably best to be in an area where families who own their own home tend to live if you can. By the way I lived in Adelaide until I was 34 and it is not a crime den. It's just the same as any city you get unsavoury people targeting vulnerable people such as tourists who have less control over security.

Try to avoid the Anzac Highway area near Kurralta Pk as well if you change your mind as it is full of flats with a very mobile population. A friend of mine lives in a house in that area and she says there are problems, usually theft and not violent. Someone even stole her handbag from her car that was parked in her long drive whilst she carried her sleeping toddler into the house. She only left it a minute or 2.

Hope I don't sound too negative but it's best if you are warned. It's probably best to be in an area where families who own their own home tend to live if you can. By the way I lived in Adelaide until I was 34 and it is not a crime den. It's just the same as any city you get unsavoury people targeting vulnerable people such as tourists who have less control over security.

Well, thanks again. I was looking at a motel on the Anzac Highway and thought it didn't look too bad and not too expensive. I'm pleased you've warned me now. I hear what you're saying about unsavoury people etc and being in an family orientated area but without knowing Adelaide (this will be our first visit) it's hard to know which these areas are. I was starting to look more at motels as hotels and caravan sites just seem so expensive and we're trying to do this visit on a budget as it's a reccie.

Following on from that, any reccommendations (perhaps a house-sit maybe then if this is going to cheaper and safer) would be greatly received.

Thank you all for your comments and I've taken them on board and I know you're only warning me of the 'possible' dangers not scaremongering, but I've been totally thrown. I'm not sure which way to turn now. :confused:

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Nicky,

I'm worried I may have sounded really negative and put you off. Please don't be. We are moving to Adelaide in Nov and will also be using short term accomodation. Our experience hasn't put us off though. What we have done this time is look at pricing, area and what sort of security there is. This time we have booked an apartment in a block where access to the complex is thru an office rather than straight off the street. Unfortunately as this is going to be our home for 3 months it will be more expensive than you are probably going to want to pay for a quick reccie. Hopefully someone else on PIA may be able to suggest a good option. So please don't feel it puts you off. It's just a matter of spending the time finding the right place so you have an enjoyable stay.

Hi Nicky,

I'm worried I may have sounded really negative and put you off.

No, please don't think that. What you've saids really just made me stop and think a bit more thats all. You're right anyway and all places have the desireable and not so desirable areas - the problem for us is knowing which is which. I do have a couple of people I can contact. It may just mean paying more than what we had hoped to but if thats what it takes for peace of mind, its worth it. At least we won't be bringing the kids on this visit.

http://www.mickosheas.com.au/index.html

Try here. Its in South Adelaide off Main South road and convenient to McLaren Vale and Southern Express Way.

I've never stayed in the hotel but go regularly with my family for a meal there.

Judi

Thanks Judi, this looks a real good compromise. Really reasonably priced too. Looking hopeful!!

You say you go there regularly yourselves; you're in Hallet Cove aren't you. When we come for our reccie we'd like to explore the arch of outer suburbs ranging from Reynella/Woodcroft sort of area, through the eastern subs upto the northern subs such as Athelston and Highbury. Roughly speaking what would you say the travelling time is from mickosheas?

Nicky