Cold weather

Guest Guest14361

There aren't many well built houses that have been built within the past 10-15 years. The only ones that have been are generally architect designed built by a builder that is being paid to do a good job. The run of the mill Hickinbotham, Oakford, Statesman, Fairmont crap are basically shelters from the weather not houses. I'm yet to see a modern generic house built and sealed well.

But yeah, it's cold. Strange as it should be 35 all year round right?

Your views about Australian houses are amazing. Locals don't sit around complaining. My house is 19 years old, it has one wood heater and yes it's not warm all the time in all rooms, but in summer, it's also not boiling hot. I know you said 10-15 year old houses. but you get what you pay for, so if you pay peanuts don't expect or complain about the quality.

And no, I have no qualifications in construction, but I dont have any formal qualifications is the profession I have been doing for 25 years, so I don't have to be qualified to know what I am on about.

Edited by Diane

Is your profession arguing on poms in adelaide? ;-)

Ok so you as you have no idea how buildings are meant to be properly constructed, I'll let you now out now and take away your shovel.

I have accepted that construction is crap, I just laugh when people say that modern houses have to be built well to be energy efficient. In the UK they perform air leakage tests on energy compliant buildings. They wouldn't get a reading from the buildings here, air tightness doesn't exist.

You do get what you pay for, I know we charge a **** load of money for our designs and quality.

Locals don't sit around complaining.

I'm guessing you don't talk to many Aussies. I hear people constantly complaining about how cold in winter or hot in summer their houses are. Then there are these big cracks people complain about. Then there is the cost of heating and cooling. They seem to love that topic.

Guest Spitfire

In many parts of England it rarely goes much below -5, and it rarely goes above 25, so that is a temperature range of 30 degrees, while in Adelaide you can get down to 0 in winter, and 45 in the summer, so there is a range of 45 degrees, so you get a much wider range of extreme temps. These extremes are felt a lot in the houses because Australians haven't yet discovered the radiator, invented in 1855, and in many older houses, especially rentals, there isn't any air-conditioning except the crappy old unit on the lounge wall, which means you get to sleep in 35 degrees. I really don't understand this.