A Girly Shopping Thread - Sorry Guys

Guest Roo1

Guest Roo1

Ok Adelaide Ladies.......HELP please.

Is it just me or are the clothes in the shops at the moment, just, well......boring really. I'm not looking for anything Pazazzz just something thats good quality, doesn't cost the earth and doesn't make me look mumsie.

I ventured into Collanades this morning, thinking I'll buy something warm to keep me warm in the months to follow and I was really depressed by the time I left.

The clothes just seemed either too young for me or too grannyish and the quality was so poor, if I'd put bought one of the jumpers I saw, I just knew I'd be scrathing and pulling at it every time I wore it.

Whats going on??

Can someone direct me to some decent shops? I still crave for Next, M&S, even New Look, Primark and George at Asda at least had clothes that caught my attention.

You know I'm the last person to be called a whinging pom about Australia.......just please someone let me into the secret of where are all the good clothes shops!!

Ok, rant over.........:oFeel better now!;)

Judi x

Guest Libby1971

Being somewhat on the more ample size I cannot say I have much experience recently of shopping in the same sort of shops as you but I have heard Portmans and Katie's are supposed to be good.

Not sure though

Libby

This thread is quite funny as I asked exactly the same question when I first arrived in Australia. There were no websites like this one to point me in the right direction so I asked a girl at work. She said she bought her clothes from Target - I replied "What, a DIY store??" haha

Yes Target is one of my favourite shops now.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

Myers has some nice stuff in it.

Jacqui E for work clothes.

Colorado is another favourite.

Forever New in the City has some nice stuff.

Review also has some pretty clothes.

After a while you just accept what is available and adapt. It is frustrating though. You will get there.

Guest caz and wayne

Hi

I'm not an Adelaide girl YET but Judi's comments are really useful. Accordingly I am stocking up on M&S undies etc etc and stuff for the kids in the next size up (bought some nice jeans @ Asda today for Thomas for £2.50!!). What are kids clothes like? and SHOES which is my big weakness?

Carolyn

Sheez Liz if you think they are bad now you should have seen them 18 years ago! Even 10 years ago. Now that was seriously bad!Australian babies wore babygros until they got too big and home knitted cardies. Unless you bought boutique stuff or imported stuff from David Jones. There used to be an Oilily concept shop in town but needless to say people aren't used to paying $200 for a toddler skirt.

Have you looked at Esprit kids, also Cotton on KIds?

Guest Sooz75

Hi Ladies

I'm disappointed to hear that the shopping isn't brilliant although it certainly won't put me off making the move.

That said I do see the lack of decent shops as an opportunity and would like some opinions if possible....... how well received do you think a shop selling jewellery and accessories like 'Accessorize' would be received in Adelaide?

Is it just me or are the clothes in the shops at the moment, just, well......boring really. I'm not looking for anything Pazazzz just something thats good quality, doesn't cost the earth and doesn't make me look mumsie.

I ventured into Collanades this morning, thinking I'll buy something warm to keep me warm in the months to follow and I was really depressed by the time I left.

The clothes just seemed either too young for me or too grannyish and the quality was so poor, if I'd put bought one of the jumpers I saw, I just knew I'd be scrathing and pulling at it every time I wore it.

Whats going on??

Can someone direct me to some decent shops? I still crave for Next, M&S, even New Look, Primark and George at Asda at least had clothes that caught my attention.

You know I'm the last person to be called a whinging pom about Australia.......just please someone let me into the secret of where are all the good clothes shops!!

Judi x

Hi Judi

Cant help with Adelaide I'm afraid (not yet anyway!) but have a look at this site:

www.ezibuy.co.nz

we have the same problem here in NZ - I would say ezibuy are better than New Look - perhaps not quite same quality as M & S for some stuff - better for others. They have stores over here but their mail order does do international deliveries. Prices are in nZ dollars so would be cheaper for people buying in Oz. They do cater for a big range of ages, sizes etc. Not quite the same as mooching around the shops though.

Happy shopping!

Mariane

Guest jill wright

This thread seriously worries me not for myself but for my (near enough)sixteen year old daughter Lucy what will the clothes be like for her are kids her age fashion conscious?

Jill

how well received do you think a shop selling jewellery and accessories like 'Accessorize' would be received in Adelaide?

We had an Accessorize in the City but it didn't last very long. It's now been replaced with a similar store. There are plenty of those types of shops here. I wouldn't worry too much.

The teenagers have a different line of wear - they are into surfing gear such as Billabong and Roxy. They MUST wear these labels or they are not cool! And they are bloody expensive. I'm glad I don't have kids. It was one of the weird situations I had to deal with when I first met OH's family who are label mad!

You've also got Sportsgirl and Esprit but I find these are more for the skinnier ladies.

We have an FCUK in the City too.

There are quite a few nice boutique shops everywhere.

Shoes/Boots are still behind the times but the fashionable stuff is here if you know where to look. There's a great shop in the City that has 3 floors full of shoes. I am boot mad and brought mine over with me. I am rather fussy as I don't like wearing 10" heels! People always comment when you are wearing English clothes/shoes etc.

It's got a lot better than when I first arrived.

Guest Roo1

Thanks girls, you've lifted my sprits and given me some inspiration on where to shop. I think a trip to the city is now on the cards with a bit of Internet shopping and some begging parcels from the U.K from my mum!

Caz, you either have a child called Thomas, just like me OR you're the most thoughful woman I know and are bringing over clothes to dress my son? ;):wideeyed:

Cheers Ladies,

Judi x

Guest jojo

I have found out that you can order from Topshop at www.topshop.co.uk and they deliver to australia!!!!. so far i have been bombarding Next and M&S ( need your support Liz) to find out if they are going to open stores here or will deliver here. they have said they are loooking into delivering overseas. so i think email on the masses and we might get a result:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

however i have found some ok things in Target and Portmans. but i have found that my tastes have changed a little i think it must be because the weather is usually warm.

FCUK and Kookai have some nice stuff .

Jo xxx

Guest dale_jo@

Whats going on??

Judi x

The Metro Unley Road Judi!!!!!

And King William road hyde park!!!!!

Guest Hatters04

What a great opportunity for someone to set up a British themed clothing and accessory shop.

There have been a number of shops around oz in the past selling M&S, BHS and Next but they've never worked out as the fashions were always dated or availability of sizes was an issue.

I hear from many people in my shop regarding this topic, especially when it comes down to kids clothes like Next and GAP.

There is a great business opportunity awaiting someone with a knowledge of fashion and contacts in the UK

What do other PIA members think?:idea:

Guest Roo1

Thanks for that Mariane. I've checked out the website and the clothes look pretty good. I'll have to know check the conversion rate between the 2 dollars, looks like I may end up getting a bargain!

Cheers

Judi

...you're right Judi - its the quality and when I look around, theres nothing that I would really want......since being at home (since netbal accident)..I have been on ebay uk - and have bought some clothes from my favourite shop (monsoon)...got them delivered to my mum - who will either post the light items, or bring them over in december.

sarahx

Hi Judi,

we will just have to get together and go shopping for the day to try and help all those needy women out there!

We will find the decent quality clothes and relay the information back, but I think we will just have to force ourselves to buy a few samples too!!

Guest Happychick

Hi Judi,

not gonna be able to help with the info ya need as ya know not been here long enough to know that.. but will definately keep an eye on the thread as i am sure id be asking the same thing in a few weeks

Lisa x