Car hire in UK

Guest Guest14361

Guest Guest14361

Need to hire a car in the UK from city to city one way, not airports for 1 day, need a wagon (estate) looked at the usual big boys, thought anyone in UK had any reccos??

We've used a few when family have been over. Hertz and Europcar (sp?) mostly.

When hiring from an airport, we found they will upgrade at no extra cost if you've booked a small car and they are all out. We got an upgrade to a 7 seater once and a large saloon when all that had been booked was a hatchback type like an Astra. Europcar was the one that did this.

Budget wise Easycar (I think that's it's name) might be cheap? The car version of Easy Jet.

• 2 weeks later...
Talk about getting confused with excesses....

It's a bit late now if you have already booked but when I was buying travel insurance for our trip to the UK most policies seemed to cover the excesses for hire cars in the event of a problem. I think it might be to do with the fact that hire cars in Australia come with (or used to anyway) a $10,000 excess unless you purchase additional insurance. When we booked our hire car in the UK the excess was barely anything at all in comparison. We rented with Enterprise, who were much cheaper than anywhere else but I'm not sure how wide there coverage is.

Guest Guest14361

Lowered the cdw and Ldw to 1000 sterling and our credit card travel insurance makes them both zero, no excesses at all, there was one or two places that seemed so cheap but add the add ons I could buy a car for some of the amounts required

One was even over 1300 pounds, sent them a please explain email how can they justify that price, got one back asking for my travel requirements, their next email the price had halved!!:huh: my next email told them to shove it up their exhaust pipe trying to rip people off....:huh:

Edited by Guest14361

Lowered the cdw and Ldw to 1000 sterling and our credit card travel insurance makes them both zero, no excesses at all, there was one or two places that seemed so cheap but add the add ons I could buy a car for some of the amounts required

One was even over 1300 pounds, sent them a please explain email how can they justify that price, got one back asking for my travel requirements, their next email the price had halved!!:huh: my next email told them to shove it up their exhaust pipe trying to rip people off....:huh:

We have used several car hire company's without any real drama, basically we search out who is giving the best deal at any given time, the deals do come and go so you have to make a choice at some stage and just swear if a better one comes along after.

We do use our credit card insurance for all our travels, however regarding the excess's on car hire, there is some small print which says something like " so long as you have taken-up all insurances offered by the hire company" a get out of paying clause in my eyes, and may not be applicable to all credit cards insurance, but worth noting/checking on any type of travel insurance. Also to take out all the insurances on offer on say a 5/6week hire this would amount to more than any excess.

There is something about Pheasants and me, three times now a Pheasant as come off the worse health wise, but worse for me financially, but the damage to the car has been less than the excess (and the extra insurance charges if taken up) so really quite happy to pay the repair fee charged by the hire company.

Also how, in the UK, can they charge approx. 50% more for an automatic? that surely is just a plain rip-off!