Wog weekend

Guest Guest14361

Guest Guest14361

Two weeks time it's Wog Weekend as the Greeks like to be called, Glendi Festival is back at Bonython Park, and before anyone on their high horse comes riding in, no different to the English being called a pom

Edited by Guest14361

Guest Guest14361

Nah Italians are dagos and Greek wogs, well all the ones I know are...wonder why there's no Pom day, a huge area would be required me thinks

Edited by Guest14361

Many of those living in Australia in the late 80's would remember the movie Wogs out of Work, Wog-A-Rama, Wogboys, Who Let the Wogs Out? and the sitcom which followed 'Acropolis Now', written and acted in by Nick Giannpopoulos, Simon Palomares, George Kapinaris and Mary Coustas, all are Greek.

As for the term dago google suggests a Spanish, Portuguese, or Italian-speaking person.

I've heard it used about all sorts of backgrounds. My husband was horrified when we first got to australia as his cousin's aussie wife looked at a picture of his nephew on the other side, who is half Jordanian, and she laughed and said 'your nephew is a wog!'. We had not realised it wasn't an insult here and were very confused and insulted.

Guest Guest75

Nope - Wog is used regularly as a general term for anyone with a darker skin / Mediterranean look be you Italian /Greek/Lebbo/Arabic. My Aussie friends use it anytime and very broadly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest75
I am Maltese and find the term Wog offensive , used to get called that and worse through out my child hood and longer . Funny how some people think !!

Chris I apologise if it offends you but it is not a term used in a bad way here. I was sat with quite mixture of Adelaidians this morning and two greek/Turkish looking blokes used the term to describe themselves. It is very different here.

I just get called "That Bladdy Pom":biglaugh::biglaugh:

Unfortunately When living in the UK the term was used in a less friendly way , kind of sticks with you , have a few Aussie mates who refer to me as the little malteser , that I don't have a problem with they have never referred to me as a Wog .

As maltesers are so utterly delicious and wonderful, I am glad that you weren't offended by that term. Oooh, now where can I buy some maltesers at this time of night?? :wubclub:

Actually round our way (NE where lots of Italians live) 'wog' is a term for an Italian (there used to be - maybe still is - a pasta takeaway called Wog You Like playing on the Asian Wok You Like chain!) and I think I've heard a Lebanese person describe themselves as a 'Lebanese wog'...

This is quite an accurate listing I think http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_terms_for_people

Guest Guest75

Thought I'd just mention my nickname on here...

Tyke does have several meanings......... I use it in reference to being a Yorkshireman, the other definition is a "Cheeky un".

But then there are others not so flattering................do I care????????????????

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tyke