Bali in August (first time)

Louise EP

• 2 weeks later...

BALI! Love it....hate it. Be prepared. Third would country despite the millions of dollars Aussies spend there.. Overcrowded cities, smokey two stroke motor-bikes and scooters. Beggars, persistant sellers perstering you, mostly black lava sand beaches, and the few that are white are compacted so hard it uncomfortable to lie on.

Been once and wouldn't go again. Sorry but that my experience. Much preferred Vanuatu, but then I'm and old foegie.

We went to Bali the first time 2yrs ago. Arrived home undecided if we would ever go back there.

However, we decided to go again last year, learning from our first experience. Loved it in Sanur, more suited to old people like us in our seventies. Hired bikes & rode along the beach path a lot. That was in June . . . went again in September.

This year we can't wait to go again in August!

I would'nt like to recommend a hotel as it depends on how much you want to spend & what you are your expectations.

Our main complaint is that people are allowed to smoke in clubs & restaurants.

I love it there, and I appreciate it certainly wouldn't be everyone's taste. Last time we stayed in Kuta at the Rama Beach resort. A great hotel in a quieter area of Kuta but still only a short walk from the main shopping plaza, bars and restaurants. Whilst we were there we had fabulous food, Indonesian, Japanese, Italian, American etc... but the best was at a restaurant on the beach at Jimbaran (I think).

We going again this year, and have our eye on Nusa Dua, just waiting for the prices to drop as it seems a little expensive at the moment.

Guest Guest14361

I stayed in the Bali Dynasty many years ago and it was awesome in the hotel but like all of Asia outside the hotels complex it was Deffo 3rd world

• 4 weeks later...
Guest vikkiann
We went to Bali the first time 2yrs ago. Arrived home undecided if we would ever go back there.

However, we decided to go again last year, learning from our first experience. Loved it in Sanur, more suited to old people like us in our seventies. Hired bikes & rode along the beach path a lot. That was in June . . . went again in September.

This year we can't wait to go again in August!

I would'nt like to recommend a hotel as it depends on how much you want to spend & what you are your expectations.

Our main complaint is that people are allowed to smoke in clubs & restaurants.

We stayed in Sanur and loved it but the world is such a big place, I don't think I'd rush back to Bali

I have never been but a question to those who have, can I ask what you mean when you say you either love or hate?

To what degree does it come up to your expectations.

If you were to ask a person in the UK, who hasn't heard of any negative things about Bali, they would automatically think of a romantic island with beautiful girls and palm trees edging golden beaches.

When you get there and find what it actually is..............................!

I'm going back in June to Nusa Dua - It really is idyllic for us. I only went last year looking for a beach holiday where I could trust the weather. I wasn't looking for a cultural experience - just somewhere to unwind with a book in one hand and a cocktail in the other. It was far cheaper than staying in Aus, especially for the add-ons (food, drink, spa, massage etc). In Nusa dua there are loads of really good hotels with cuisine and beaches to match. We felt very secure and apart from one trip to Kuta we didn't feel the need to leave the area.

May not be to everyone's taste, I get that, but for a place just to unwind I couldn't fault it (hence booked again)

NWM

Guest Guest14361

My view of the time I went.....5 star in the hotel and its grounds....outside half a star...absolute ****hole, never again. The people are fantastic always smiling but...their surroundings omg.