flights to adelaide

Hi, I've flown Emirates twice from Gatwick in the last 2 years. No problems at all and no complaints from me, better than Malaysian who I went with before. Also if you can time the flights to land in Adelaide in the evening local time it helps to alleviate the jet lag.

I've only flown Emirates once and had a really bad experience that wasn't the fault of the airline but has put me off. Our flights both ways were delayed and on the return flight we missed the connecting flight so had to spend 6 hours in the airport instead of just an hour and got back to the UK late in the evening. The car then broke down on the way home and we were stuck on the side of the motorway late at night with two young children in the freezing cold.

Emirates themselves were fine as an airline. The only thing that puts me off after our previous experience is the short stop over times in Dubai. Having said that though Dubai is not a great airport to spend any length of time in so the short stops are better from that perspective. We tend to fly Singapore airlines as we really like Changi airport (and they are usually competitive on cost). I wouldn't worry about the poor reviews - half the ones I read are people complaining about things that are their own fault (like missing flights because they didn't get to the airport on time).

We flew Emirates in September with two kids and had no problems - apart from some bags being left in Dubai which we saw as a blessing really as we arrived at 10pm and dragging two tired children and 6 suitcases through customs would've been hell lol! They cabbed them over to us the next day though which was fine :)

I have flown with both Emirates and Singapore Airlines. Emirates was fine but Singapore were fantastic. Also I felt getting the long leg of the journey out of the way first worked better with 2 kids. We booked a transit hotel at Singapore so slept for a few hours so arrived in Adelaide fairly refreshed and subsequently had minimal jetlag. By far the better airline of the two in my experience. :-)

The trouble is, it is a long way and a long flight, whichever airline you go with. If you are travelling economy, as most of us are, you just have to steel yourself to it and bear the ordeal. It is the only way to get back and forth.

Over the years I have tried all the airlines that fly into Adelaide, plus several which go through Melbourne and even one through Perth.

The "enjoyment" of flights varies according to crew, weather conditions and fellow passengers. Much more important to me than airline is where I sit on the plane and the seat room allowed, followed by the food and service, and these will vary flight to flight.

If you are going to stopover, which I prefer, allow at least two nights. It does give you a chance to recover and my jetlag is always less when I stopover.

Price does come in to it, and Singapore seems to be quite a bit cheaper atm for one way fares than Qantas/Emirates. Have just booked fares for July with Singapore.

Last time flew Emirates , together with a Dubai stopover, and could not fault them or the excellent holiday, but that was over a year ago.

We flew with Emirates in December via Dubai. It was the 3,4,3 seat formation in economy. Our 2 kids are 5 and 3 and Emirates staff were fantastic to them. We had more than enough TV/movies on the seat backs to keep us entertained. You get fed a lot and this breaks up the time. I personally liked the short stop over, get it over and done with so to speak. :)

Thanks for your replies everyone.

In the end have gone with Singapore. Although the flights were more expensive, it means we get to fly the route that we will need to fly with my assistance dog when we come over for good. 5 hours in Singapore sounds a lot, but think that a chance to have a shower and quick nap will do us all more good.

Thank you for being so honest.

Getting excited now.

We went with Singapore last year & they were great. We had a 6 hour stopover on the way out, but by the time we'd got our bearings, got a coffee & let the kids have a play in the play area and had a wander round, we just had time for a quick freshen up in the toilet rooms & to get the kids into PJs before it was time to go start boarding for the next leg.

We decided not to have a sleep, as we didn't want the kids awake for the majority of the second leg while everyone else was trying to get some sleep! They'd slept for a good 8 hours on the first leg, and so by the time we boarded the second leg, they were asleep before we were at cruising height. Worked well for us anyway.

5 hours in Singapore - just enough for a swim and a shower in the airport open air pool. Lovely. Remember to take your cozzies in your hand luggage - towels and shampoo and stuff are provided. Just a small fee. When you arrive find the nearest information desk and get instructions on how to get to the pool - you may need to transfer to a different terminal but don't have to leave the airport.