In the UK a week

Guest Guest14361

Guest Guest14361

Well back in England for a week now, first time in 3 years, holiday this time, last time my mil and old fella were ill, so better circumstances this time. Off the plane at Heathrow, drizzling with rain, on the coach it started to brighten up. People walking round dressed as if it's 30oc, it was 18oc and I was in jeans t shirt and jumper with a warm jacket.......and have been everyday since, we had a high of 21oc the other day woo hoo. Have found it to be hugely more expensive than 3 years ago, I know back then the rate was around .55 and today it's .49, but then as now I treated everything .50. Breads half the price, but most of other stuff on par or even more expensive, quite a shock really.

Funnily enough I was reading on the parent site someone saying how much more expensive things seemed to be in the UK these days. Even eating out, which people used to hold up as an example. We're heading back for a visit in January - bet no-one will be wandering around in t-shirts and shorts then!

Guest Guest14361
Funnily enough I was reading on the parent site someone saying how much more expensive things seemed to be in the UK these days. Even eating out, which people used to hold up as an example. We're heading back for a visit in January - bet no-one will be wandering around in t-shirts and shorts then!

What I pay here in Nottingham in pounds I pay in $$$$ in Adelaide so 10 pounds in Nottingham I'll pay $10 in Adelaide I reckon eating out is double to adelaide

Its been an uneducated PIA myth that Adelaide is so expensive, it's something that has been ongoing on here for years - mainly by people who just move here and moan about thei r new country that they have chosen to live in!!.

Many things are cheaper in the UK, but overall Adelaide is a cheaper place to live. Supermarkets certainly seem cheaper but to live in UK you need more money - we have far more free things to do as well.

For us moving from a cheaper area of the UK, we did expect everything to be far more expensive here than it actually is! In my experience supermarkets, clothes ect are pretty much on par! Electrical items are overall cheaper, but I feel like it pretty much evens itself out! We have only been here three months, but so far these are our findings.

Family activities are definetly cheaper here and a lot of things are free :biggrin:

We're heading back for a visit in January - bet no-one will be wandering around in t-shirts and shorts then!

I live in Wigan, and trust me, that's not a foregone conclusion! Some of the outfits you see girls out in has me checking that I've not been unknowingly transported to a Greek Island in peak season! :biglaugh:

I was having a chuckle when Nobby said about everyone walking round as if its 30c, it's true, and even I'm guilty of getting out the flip-flops (or should I say thongs?) the minute the mercury touches anything above 18c...

I live in Wigan, and trust me, that's not a foregone conclusion! Some of the outfits you see girls out in has me checking that I've not been unknowingly transported to a Greek Island in peak season! :biglaugh:

I was having a chuckle when Nobby said about everyone walking round as if its 30c, it's true, and even I'm guilty of getting out the flip-flops (or should I say thongs?) the minute the mercury touches anything above 18c...

ah that's so true Karen S-D!!! As soon as the sun is shining (even if it's Baltic) a lot of people just shed their clothes!! Ha ha....I must admit on occasion I'm still wearing my flip flops here and most days it's around 16c, people on the school run look at my feet like I'm crazy!!! Ha ha :biglaugh:

Guest Guest14361

Still cannot beat a British country pub and the community feel, along with the countryside, the colour green is a different green, oh and those country lanes as one drives along them wondering what's around the next corner, sheer bliss. Then I get into my next destination in Colchester, pop over to Clacton on sea, then I'm back to reality, what a poo hole that is, wondered if the rental car was going to be there. Do they interbreed there??

Still cannot beat a British country pub and the community feel, along with the countryside, the colour green is a different green, oh and those country lanes as one drives along them wondering what's around the next corner, sheer bliss. Then I get into my next destination in Colchester, pop over to Clacton on sea, then I'm back to reality, what a poo hole that is, wondered if the rental car was going to be there. Do they interbreed there??

That is so funny. I have tears running down my cheeks. I totally didn't expect the last comments...British wit at it's finest! :biglaugh:

Guest Guest14361
That is so funny. I have tears running down my cheeks. I totally didn't expect the last comments...British wit at it's finest! :biglaugh:

thats the Pom in me coming out..

• 2 weeks later...
We like the look of Hallett Cove but also wouldn't mind Seaford Rise. :-) just can't wait to get there now!! Is it cold at the moment then Sam?

Carrie xx

Hey....yeah it is cold, especially in the morning and through the night....the houses are freezing, bring your winter clothes, they are needed, we were really surprised and even though everyone said it would be cold I thought we wouldn't feel it! But honestly it is really cold :(