Kangaroo Island

snifter

We just got back from an amazing holiday in KI. We rented a house through Stayz. Clearly with a large family and young kids our accommodation preference would be different to some people but I just loved the house we chose. Took my thermomix and that was an awesome choice. We took most of the groceries we needed for the week. There's a foodland there too so we topped up a bit while we were there. We did a good amount of driving but didn't push ourselves too much as we wanted to enjoy a break. We plan to go back this year or next, but we are also trying to save for a uk trip and that takes preference.

Entertainment book has a ferry discount offer that we used.

world class holiday venue, no doubt about it

-four things to be aware of:

-huge numbers of Roo's , wallabies and various other wildlife around at dusk, so avoid driving in a rush at that time of day

-some of the back tracks are still unsealed and the gravel roads are really tricky driving, so take your time...it's why you are there

-limited accommodation availability...so book well in advance

-don't know if the electrical supply has been upgraded yet..... blackouts used to be common in the summer months

that said...totally worth the trip

If you want to take it easy..... enjoy a day at Wall and Nances place at Cape Jervois Station before taking the first ferry of the day

JB :swoon:

Snifter,

It's Brilliant, we went there for 8 days in Jan 2014. we took a 4x4 land cruiser, 2x tents, 1 41ltr freeze box and usual arctic survival kits....just kidding :0

3 (x2 nights) days camping in flinders chase west end of island, drive to western beaches (these are dangerous beaches please do not swim) and explore, camp facility is fine, showers, barbies etc , then down to Vivionne for 1 day and the rest in a beach house on Emu bay (very safe for kids - but check yourself please). Big dunes at little sahara is great fun for the kids, there is plenty to do really and chill/fish etc, locals are actually very OK (being an Islander myself i'm a little switched on to the way of thinking - it;s an islander thing :) )

The Island is a treasure trove of stuff, from wildlife to flora, but Cape de Couedic is my all time favourite where Baudin met Flinders and came to an "arrangement" to explore together, it's a vastly wild landscape, and you can imagine how hard it would have been 200 years ago, remarkable rocks, penguins, and a rare and unique honey bee make for a pretty cool Island!

and I went to the Navy Museum at Greenwich an looked at Flinders Bar last year, for me it was a sort of round/finality , but hey that's life.

Especial treats were the kids waking up with two echidna waddling through our campsite, at night (it gets dark pretty early) we're all famished and tired, wildlife come through your campsite and well do what they do , examine, snuffle, look and shuffle, kids absolutely loved it, and it's an experience I'd recommend to anyone.

I can't really give you a downside (yeah, I know , unusual for me), maybe the traffic is a bit dense getting back up to Adelaide, and I cannot stress that the western beaches are a no-go, even for a dip, the rips and undertows are vicious and I know this because my old crusty surfie mates tell me this, northern eastern are better, sheltered and great for kids, you can drive the car on the beach, light a fire and have a lobster and champers, sorry, crayfish and sparkly white, heck it;s the same thing.

ferry crossing is a no big deal, think it's just sub or maybe a little over 1 hour.

enjoy!

and buy honey from the island and take it home, it's unique

and no we did not critically need the 4x4, only for space, all of the roads we drove on were passable, tough but passable (that corrugated aussie road/ridge thing they do in the NT to make roads that bump the hell out of you but are just a very bit uncomfortable, so what I'm saying is ford fiesta not ok, larger estate OK)

Edited by deryans

Thank you sally, John and deryans :) Your feedback has been very much appreciated.

We may well camp as I like the nature aspect and it most likely will be for 3-4 nights only. If it was a week I'd maybe look to renting a small house or some such.

Hubby has been wanting an excuse to try out the tent so guess we'll do a test run on it in the garden and make sure we can put it up quickly :cute:

@Sallyh, we have the entertainment book, part of the reason for getting it was for the ferry voucher as I've long wanted to go over there. If it turns out we don't go till after June I'll probably pass it on to someone on here who would make use of it and get the book for next years one :)

Sounds great snifter. We may not be as efficient sight seers as other people but we did a lot while we were there... With the cost of the ferry I would try to do a week.

Btw I have entertainment book on my iPhone. Not sure if there's an android version but it's fantastic on my phone. No more scraps of paper vouchers!

Don't worry about the roads. I am sure you wouldn't. We drove on the unsealed roads a lot to do our own shortcuts. There were free maps on a tear off pad in the ferry terminal. Also I got whatever leaflets I could find in the terminal. Saved a lot of time and had all the info we needed for our trip. Plus snifter I am sure we are due a coffee some time after all these years on Pia so happy to show you the stuff if you like.

Snifter,

It's Brilliant, we went there for 8 days in Jan 2014. we took a 4x4 land cruiser, 2x tents, 1 41ltr freeze box and usual arctic survival kits....just kidding :0

3 (x2 nights) days camping in flinders chase west end of island, drive to western beaches (these are dangerous beaches please do not swim) and explore, camp facility is fine, showers, barbies etc , then down to Vivionne for 1 day and the rest in a beach house on Emu bay (very safe for kids - but check yourself please). Big dunes at little sahara is great fun for the kids, there is plenty to do really and chill/fish etc, locals are actually very OK (being an Islander myself i'm a little switched on to the way of thinking - it;s an islander thing :) )

The Island is a treasure trove of stuff, from wildlife to flora, but Cape de Couedic is my all time favourite where Baudin met Flinders and came to an "arrangement" to explore together, it's a vastly wild landscape, and you can imagine how hard it would have been 200 years ago, remarkable rocks, penguins, and a rare and unique honey bee make for a pretty cool Island!

and I went to the Navy Museum at Greenwich an looked at Flinders Bar last year, for me it was a sort of round/finality , but hey that's life.

Especial treats were the kids waking up with two echidna waddling through our campsite, at night (it gets dark pretty early) we're all famished and tired, wildlife come through your campsite and well do what they do , examine, snuffle, look and shuffle, kids absolutely loved it, and it's an experience I'd recommend to anyone.

I can't really give you a downside (yeah, I know , unusual for me), maybe the traffic is a bit dense getting back up to Adelaide, and I cannot stress that the western beaches are a no-go, even for a dip, the rips and undertows are vicious and I know this because my old crusty surfie mates tell me this, northern eastern are better, sheltered and great for kids, you can drive the car on the beach, light a fire and have a lobster and champers, sorry, crayfish and sparkly white, heck it;s the same thing.

ferry crossing is a no big deal, think it's just sub or maybe a little over 1 hour.

enjoy!

and buy honey from the island and take it home, it's unique

and no we did not critically need the 4x4, only for space, all of the roads we drove on were passable, tough but passable (that corrugated aussie road/ridge thing they do in the NT to make roads that bump the hell out of you but are just a very bit uncomfortable, so what I'm saying is ford fiesta not ok, larger estate OK)

OMG it must be great!

I have been here 9 years and have still not managed to do the trip. I was in Cape Jervis a few weeks ago and the kids were watching the ferry leaving. There are some great coastal towns on the way and some good places to stop over, swim, eat, take a break.

You have just sold me on a trip to Kangaroo island!

If you enjoyed it, the place must be outstanding...:biggrin:

I spent a couple of nights there in July/August - cold, but visiting from Scotland, wasn't too bad for me! I was alone, so stayed at a hostel in Kingscote, which was fine :)

Done a few walks through Flinders Chase, the touristy walks to Remarkable Rocks etc, all absolutely worth it. Popped into a few beaches along the North East coast, all gorgeous as per. Even in winter...I couldn't help myself having a little paddle at Baudin(?) Beach. Only regret is not staying longer.........can only imagine it would be even more spectacular in the warmer months

Sounds great snifter. We may not be as efficient sight seers as other people but we did a lot while we were there... With the cost of the ferry I would try to do a week.

Btw I have entertainment book on my iPhone. Not sure if there's an android version but it's fantastic on my phone. No more scraps of paper vouchers!

Don't worry about the roads. I am sure you wouldn't. We drove on the unsealed roads a lot to do our own shortcuts. There were free maps on a tear off pad in the ferry terminal. Also I got whatever leaflets I could find in the terminal. Saved a lot of time and had all the info we needed for our trip. Plus snifter I am sure we are due a coffee some time after all these years on Pia so happy to show you the stuff if you like.

Would be lovely to finally meet up with you. Any info you have would also be appreciated. Am still trying to wade through the options for accommodation and other family may come along too now so that changes things again :)

We'll probably get the phone app for the book next time. We did think about it but the family like to use some of the vouchers so it just made sense to get it in book form to try it out and see what we used/didn't use etc.

• 1 year later...