Hayfever

Nicky

My OH is having a real bad time with his hayfever at the mo, as I'm sure all you fellow sufferers are and he's hoping that he'll leave this behind in the UK. :skeptical:

What it's like for hayfever in Adelaide? I know it depends on the individual person but I was wondering if those of you who suffered in the UK are still suffering in Oz?

Nicky

Guest motlyman

Hi,

I suffered badly in the uk but still waiting for it to happen here:confused:

We have been here for 18 months now and it still hasnt started.

Suffice to say im a little pleased to say the least.

Colin

Dear Nicky,

I have to say that my daughter who is just growing out of being very asthmatic has mild hayfever in the UK ( Maybe an anithistamine once a day for a couple of weeks) was hit really bad on our reccie in October/November 2007. We were there for 4 1/2 weeks and I was horrified to see her suffering so much. The only solace was that my husbands auntie (£10 pom) said she had adjusted after a couple of years to the change in pollen, etc and wasn't so bad. I did have moments of thinking I couldn't put her through that but it didn't seem to happen all the time. Interested to hear what others say.

Liz

Guest the4hopes

I take some homeopathic tablets called Pollena, by Nelsons. You take them for a few days or weeks, in my case a few days, until the symptoms stop, then I have no hayfever for the rest of the summer!!

I have suffered badly for 20 years and didn't want to keep taking antihistamine tablets.Also boost your immune system with vit C and minerals, nettle tea is a natural anti-histamine.

Laura x

Guest chillyanna

i saw the medicen in tesco the other day, there was only that brand and tesco's own brand left on the shelf, i took 1 tabelt of tesco's own today and had a good day on the hayfever front!

im glad the hayfever question has been asked as i was wondering how it would be in adeliade,

cheers

paul

i saw the medicen in tesco the other day, there was only that brand and tesco's own brand left on the shelf, i took 1 tabelt of tesco's own today and had a good day on the hayfever front!

I think the pollen count has been down considerably today, so I've been told. I know the last 2 days it's been particuarly high. My OH has been testiment to that as he's looked like he's done a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson but today he was too bad. Funny though as he says it always comes on more when he gets home; I think thats his way of saying he's allergic to the kids!

Thanks Laura for mentioning Nelsons homeopathic alternative. My OH has tried a homeopathic concoction made up by the local homeopath (makes it sound like witchcraft!) but this had no effect, just as you say like antihistamines. The only time I've come across Nelsons before was teething crystals which I gave to my children when they were babies and if I remember correctly (I'm going back a few years now!!) they seemed to be the only thing that worked then too. Perhaps I'd better get some, pollena that is, I don't think teething crystals would really help my OH's hayfever.

Going back to hayfever in Oz (sorry I just realised I was starting to ramble!), I guess it's just a case of wait and see then really.

Nicky

Guest moonraker1959

My kids (aussies)suffered from hayfever in Oz and here in the UK.My best mate (an aussie who lives in Oz,and practices naturopathy)recommended we find a local beekeeper,buy some honey (the bee's would of collected the pollen locally)you then take 1 tablespoon per day (can take it on toast or in a drink ect)This builds up the immunity and presto no more hayfever.It worked really well for my kids and they take it each springtime,hope this is of some help!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

My OH suffered with hayfever in the UKL but no where near as bad here, my daughter also has asthma in th uK, but again no where near as bad here.

Her asthma seemed to be bought on by the rain when she was playing football, or when she had a cold. She only played football once in the rain here nad needed her puffer.

There are those that say SA is the worse place to live in the world if you suffer from either asthma or hayfever, on account of the dryness and the amount of dust. I would say it depends on what triggers you off. Rain and colds in daughters case and I think trees and grass for OHs hayfever, there are not many european trees and the grass cutting season is very short on account of the grass dying with no water.

sarah

Guest the4hopes
Where can you get these from, antihistamine just don't work anymore!! :sad:

You should be able to get them from any health food shop, we have a good one in our town which is just for tablets and potions!! Boots also do their own brand called "Hayfever relief tablets". Let me know if you have trouble.

Laura x

Guest motlyman

In the uk i used Beconase. Its a nasel spray, and two sniffs in the morning before the symptoms start kept it at bay.

Best thing ever for me.:wubclub:

Seen it here too.

Colin

Guest Libby1971

I had to get a prescription for my asthma recently. When I asked the GP about it, he laughed and said 'Why on earth are you in SA?' I told him I was confused and was informed that SA has the worst reputation for asthma sufferers and eczema sufferers.:arghh:

I had asthma in the UK and here. However, whereas I had a chest infection prob twice a year minimum, in just over a year, not a whisper. My asthma is much more manageable.

In the summer, I do not suffer as much as I did in the UK, where grass cuttings affect me a great deal. However I do suffer longer as the spring, summer and autumn are all bad as far as pollen counts go.

I would love to try the honey thing except I hate the darn stuff!!!!!:confused:

The thing that has got ALOT worse is my eczema, and I hadn't planned on that. But my daughter's has improved!!!!!

Libby

Well, we've tried the local honey which didn't seem to make any difference and what you said Sarah about the rain etc makes sense and I thought that the rain would dampen things down but my OH reckons he suffers more when it rains, initially, as it brings all the pollen down. Who knows! All I know is it's been b****y hot at night with all the windows closed!! I don't think he wants to suffer alone.

Guest Trakki

My hayfever has been awful the last few days, the rain does make it get worse as the rain spreads it around a bit. I tried the local honey thing but really don't like honey so that was no good. Can't use the nasal sprays as they give me nose bleeds so just have to suffer. :arghh:

Oh well, will try the homeopathic stuff.

Thanks for the info

Guest the4hopes
My hayfever has been awful the last few days, the rain does make it get worse as the rain spreads it around a bit. I tried the local honey thing but really don't like honey so that was no good. Can't use the nasal sprays as they give me nose bleeds so just have to suffer. :arghh:

Oh well, will try the homeopathic stuff.

Thanks for the info

Anyone who does use the homeopathic tablets let me know how you go, it works wonders for me. It takes care of the sneezing, itching and streaming eyes!All summer.

Laura x

Guest Aussie pat

I grew up in Adelaide and we had a neighbour who moved to a seaside suburb in Adelaide and found his hayfever improved a lot due to the sea breezes not carrying as much pollen as those inland. Given that many parts of Adelaide hug the coast if I were you I'd look at suburbs near the beach when looking for a home. Many of them are lovely anyway.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Both my sons suffered with hayfever in the UK and I sorry to say still suffering here.

We do live in the hills so that may be one reason. I stocked up on tablets from the doctors before we came.

My OH is having a real bad time with his hayfever at the mo, as I'm sure all you fellow sufferers are and he's hoping that he'll leave this behind in the UK. :skeptical:

What it's like for hayfever in Adelaide? I know it depends on the individual person but I was wondering if those of you who suffered in the UK are still suffering in Oz?

Nicky