Need suggestions for a day out

suzer

Our 1 year anniversary is coming up and we're taking the day off and hoping to do some sightseeing. We had thought of the Barossa, but have and will do that again soon enough with visitors. Murry River is an option, but no idea where to start. We'd like a nice drive and some good scenery. My husband who has lived here all his life is no help in the planning! Help?

Suzer

Hi there,

there is always mount lofty, they had Mount lofty house which does amazing meals and has gorgeous scenery (as declared by my OH) He decorated Mount Lofty House only recently and says it is an amazing place.

Hope this helps, but have a lovely day and Happy Anniversary x

Both sound good. I had thought about Mt Lofty as well...the Botanic Garden there and Cleland Wildlife Park. Ending up in Glenelg for Mexican also sounds nice:) Now, to get the other half interested;) Thanks and keep the suggestions coming if you have anymore.

Any suggestions from the men would be appreciated, as it's difficult to get my hubs interested:/

Hi there,

there is always mount lofty, they had Mount lofty house which does amazing meals and has gorgeous scenery (as declared by my OH) He decorated Mount Lofty House only recently and says it is an amazing place.

Hope this helps, but have a lovely day and Happy Anniversary x

Very cool; sounds like your husband is getting good work straight away:)

Guest moonraker1959
Very cool; sounds like your husband is getting good work straight away:)

You could try driving to Mannum (up on the river Murray),which from where you live would take maybe 1.5 hours to drive maybe quicker?Or Victor Harbour?Hahndorf is nice also and not far from Mount Lofty?Have a nice day anyway!!!:)

How about trying the route to Mannum via Birdwood, very scenic, main hotel in Mannum main st does pretty good meals and overlooks the river. Could have a snack here then onto Murray Bridge for a proper meal on a boat down by the river, or even a river dining cruise.

Have a good time

Guest graandjac

:)On what we have seen so far ....it has to be Victor Harbour the and a walk out to Granite Island, the views are just fantastic , there is a chance of seeing dolphins and whales, take the camera as there is a chance of some great shots, the drive is easy on the way down go through Maclaren Vale and on the way back take the road via aldinga , and the views and sunset as you come back over the hills are out of this world. enjoy your day what ever you choose . cheers Graham

I know you say you've done the Barossa before but have you tried the Cheese and Wine Tour around the area? You start off at the cheese shop in Angaston, where they supply you with a cool bag filled with cheese, crackers, a mini cheese board and cheese knife, plus extras if you like, and a map of all the participating wineries, with suggested routes, and tasting notes on which cheese to try with which wine. Then you head off and on arriving at the wineries, get your little bar-top picnic out as you sample their wares! We've done this twice now, and it is great fun, adds a little extra to a normal wine tasting, and sparks off some great conversations with other people you meet! I believe there are similar things you can do around McLaren Vale (start at the visitors centre).

Other than that, a trip down to Victor, stopping at Strathalbyn on the way for coffee and cakes and a listen to the amazing, german, didgeridoo player in the antique shop there is always fun!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
How about trying the route to Mannum via Birdwood, very scenic, main hotel in Mannum main st does pretty good meals and overlooks the river. Could have a snack here then onto Murray Bridge for a proper meal on a boat down by the river, or even a river dining cruise.

Have a good time

I think we drove that way to Mannum once, is that where there are lots of strange rocks that someone has decorated with graffiti?

I say strange rocks because they dont look like they belong there, more like someone has put them there.

sarah

I think Victor Harbor etc sounds best at this point---will throw that one out there. It's the one area of all the suggestions I haven't been to yet.

Just remember to wrap up very warm as it's freezing down there especially when whale spotting.

Hey guys, thanks again for all the great suggestions. I think we've decided on Victor Harbour. It's somewhere I haven't been, and sounds like a nice drive etc:) Finally, something the hubs is interested in:cute:...and something new for me.