Kangaroo Island (with photos)

Moosh

Kangaroo Island

This wonderful holiday destination always gets forgotten. Its extremely remote but allow at least 3-4 days to spend here. This is 4 wheel drive country but we got around in an ordinary car and the unsealed roads were certainly a challenge.

Getting There

There are two ways of getting to KI and unfortunately neither are cheap - We paid $402 for a car and 4 adult passengers for a return Ferry trip and this was with a 25% discount with the Entertainment Book voucher. You can travel either by Ferry on the Kangaroo Island Sealink Ferry (reservations call 13 13 01 or http://www.sealink.com.au) from Cape Jervis to Penneshaw, it takes 45 minutes. Bookings are necessary; or by air - Regional Express (Rex) http://www.rex.com.au and Air South http://www.airsouth.com.au provide 4 daily 30 minute return flights. We took our own car and went by Ferry. The journey across to KI was a bit rough but coming back was fairly calm.

Fill up with petrol before you get to KI as fuel prices are a tad more expensive there. Fuel is available from Kingscote, American River, Island Beach, Penneshaw, Parndana, Vivonne Bay and KI Wilderness Retreat near Flinders Chase National Park. Fuel stations have limited hours, some closing at 6pm.

Try not to drive at night and if you do, drive slowly. Kangaroo Island wildlife are active most at night and you will see the remnants of the night before on the roads with roadkill almost everywhere you look. You are not allowed to pick up the dead animals so you also see bones and skeletons of animals on the side of the road.

Accommodation

From first impressions we were glad we were staying in Kingscote. We stayed at the Comfort Inn Wisteria Lodge. It was basic accommodation with an outdoor heated swimming pool - it was very old fashioned but met our needs. All rooms had views to Nepean Bay. The Ozone Hotel also looked appealing. In Penneshaw the KI Seafront Resort looked nice. We drove through American River and to be honest there didn't seem to be anything there to entertain families. There were quite a few motels around but they seemed a little dated and run down.

Food

It is wise to book your evening meal. The locals in Kingscote recommended eating at the Queenscliffe Hotel and the meals were nice there. The Ozone also did food but this is Bistro type dining so if you like your Schnitzels then this is the place to go. There are only 3 places to eat, the other place being Bella but they were fully booked so we didn't eat there. The licensed cafe in Hog Bay Stores, Penneshaw also did nice food. Penneshaw also has a pub but didn't look very inviting to the tourists.

Tourist attractions

We didn't manage to visit them all. It takes 2 hours to drive from Kingscote down to Remarkable Rocks and adding on the time for stopping off at places on the way such as Kelly Hill Caves. Despite the long journey, it is worth this trip. We also visited Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Distillery, Island Beehive on the way into Kingscote, Seal Bay Conservation Park, Vivonne Bay, Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch. Do find time to climb Prospect Hill, it looks so daunting as you drive past it - the views across the island are spectacular. We went to Jumbuck Australiana expecting it to be a tourist shop but it is in fact a sheep shearing shed and the only stuff they are selling isn't actually made on KI (or Australia!) so I'd give this a miss if you are stuck for time. Emu Bay Lavender was a little disappointing also operating out of a small shed with the prices of products being a tad expensive. The trip down to Seal Bay was worth the walk just to see the seals in their natural habitat - they do charge to do the boardwalk self guided tour though. On our way down to Remarkable Rocks, we popped in to meet John and Jean (an English couple from Bristol) at Vivonne Bay General Store - they are moving to Brownlow (nr Kingscote) soon though. Kelly Hill Caves operate tours generally at a quarter past the hour, we didn't go down the caves as we'd just missed a tour but it was interesting to see a Seisomology Graph working there. If you've not seen a koala yet then take a Koala walk - blink and you will miss the sign though! You have to pay a fee to get into the Flinders Chase National Park at the Visitors Centre which I'm sure you could get away with only paying for 2 passengers if you have a car load - no one checked up on us but you never know. Also if you haven't packed a picnic, this is the last stop for food. Remarkable Rocks were "Remarkable" just the drive down to them was remarkable in itself with the strange windy roads. Wear a jumper when going down to Admirals Arch as it gets a little cold and windy down there, you also get to see more seals there. From here we took the 2 hour drive back to Kingscote via the Playford Highway, it was long and boring with nothing to see in between. We stopped off at a bakery in Parndana, we didn't have time to go to the Parndana Wildlife Park which was a shame. I had also heard the Paul's Place Wildlife Sanctuary was good but as it was off road getting to this area we gave it a miss. We stopped off at a couple of wineries as well including Sunset Wines and Bay of Shoals.

100_1376.jpg

Prospect Hill

100_0809.jpg

Prospect Hill

100_0787.jpg

Seal Bay

100_1346.jpg

Remarkable Rocks

100_1342.jpg

Remarkable Rocks

100_0803.jpg

Thats me at Remarkable Rocks

100_0790.jpg

Remarkable Rocks

We had a great time there and would not hesitate to move there to live if the opportunity arises.

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi Moosh

Brought tears to our eye's seeing those lovely pictures of KI.

We spent 4 days there last November before flying home and it was truly amazing. We stayed at Emu Bay, lovely setting, great fishing, No shops suited us fine, nice relaxing 4 days. And have to say the remarkable Rocks are something else.

Jane and Andi

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hayls

aawwh,

you missed the best place PAULS PLACE.

this is some place and well worth a vist and be prepared for the unexpected,

we were still laughing 3 days later.

we also stopped in emu bay it was gorgeous and i cant wait to go back, we are going back camping in summer with friends if im brave enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hayls

aawwh,

you missed the best place PAULS PLACE.

this is some place and well worth a vist and be prepared for the unexpected,

we were still laughing 3 days later.

Yeah I really wanted to go there as well. Next time we'll be going in a 4x4 as we nearly broke down in our old jallopy. :confused:

Guest dunnarunna

hi michelle

great post & great photos i do like to see photos as ive never been to oz so it does give you an insight looks well worth a visit

i cant wait to get to there :cool:

donna

• 9 months later...
Guest mysnix

Fantastic photos Michelle!

We are going over with my parents in April and really looking forward to it. We are actually staying at the cabins at Paul's place, hopefully they will be good!

Nikki

x

Fantastic photos Michelle!

We are going over with my parents in April and really looking forward to it. We are actually staying at the cabins at Paul's place, hopefully they will be good!

Nikki

x

Hi Nikki

I can't comment on those cabins but as a rule don't expect anything too flash on KI - even the hotels have a 70's style to them! :nah:

• 7 months later...
Guest norah battie

We are just back from Ki and stayed at a beautiful big house just out of Penneshaw. The kids loved it and it was funny watching kangaroos hop by the window when we were cooking. At American River next to the fishing charters there is a huge shed. This is where you buy oysters from the fishermen....$6.50 a dozen...to die for. One night we took the kids in their pjs to Peneshaw beach. We walked the beach with torches and saw the penguins coming in.

Seal Bay is magical and well worth paying for a guided tour as you get right up with the sealions.

Couldn't believe there were Scottish tea towels for sale in the local IGA....thought that was hilarious..although the local light house keeper is Scottish.

A must for your visit is Sunset Winery just out of Peneshaw on the left hand side....5 mins from our house. It is a secret hideaway and you will be blown away by the beauty of the scenery...platter and wine great too....could have stayed there all day.

The house we stayed in is called Dudley Villa and if you type that into your search engine you will be able to see there website....amazing place

• 2 years later...

We are planning our third trip to KI in November with our overseas visitors. First time was the review above, the second time we went camping where I also did a review http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/out-about-sa/8836-camping-kangaroo-island.html, this time we are planning on staying at The Aurora Ozone Hotel in the Executive Sea View rooms and also in the Baxter Luxury cabin at the Western KI Caravan Park.

Anyone been recently that can recommend places to eat in Kingscote? I understand that we will need to book in advance.