Are there any decent pubs down south?

Guest Deb17

Guest Deb17

Just wondering...in two years here I haven't been in a pub (except the Victory Hotel in Sellicks, which I didn't think much of) because I'm a bit intimidated by how completely alien they are. :goofy:

Has anyone been in Mick O'Shea's on the main south road and can tell me what it's like inside? Is it more like English pubs or is it still like an Aussie hotel? I don't even know how much a drink is going to cost me...they don't do pints in this country, do they?

It's not that I want boozing in pubs to become a regular habit for me, but just once in a while it would be nice to have somewhere else in mind to go to, like on my birthday, for a treat...(don't want to sound like a completely sad alky.) :err:

Hi Deb, we've been to Mick O'Shea's a few times and it's ok. It's more like a UK pub than the other places we've been to. It's always been fairly quiet when we've been there but then we've got small kids so we don't go at "normal" pub times! There's a nice beer garden out the back including a large covered area which is nice in summer. There's also The Crown at Reynella but if you're looking for your actual pub then it's got to be the Governor Hindmarsh or "The Gov". We were there on St Patrick's and it was fab, full of musicians and Guinness as far as the eye could see! There's a seperate music venue there as well which is also great. One of my favourite places is The Esplanade at Brighton, lovely to sit outside in the summer overlooking the ocean and the jetty.:)

Guest Deb17
Hi Deb, we've been to Mick O'Shea's a few times and it's ok. It's more like a UK pub than the other places we've been to. It's always been fairly quiet when we've been there but then we've got small kids so we don't go at "normal" pub times! There's a nice beer garden out the back including a large covered area which is nice in summer. There's also The Crown at Reynella but if you're looking for your actual pub then it's got to be the Governor Hindmarsh or "The Gov". We were there on St Patrick's and it was fab, full of musicians and Guinness as far as the eye could see! There's a seperate music venue there as well which is also great. One of my favourite places is The Esplanade at Brighton, lovely to sit outside in the summer overlooking the ocean and the jetty.:)

Great! Thanks. :) But whereabouts is the Governor Hindmarsh? Not somewhere I've heard of...

Nice to know Mick O'Shea's has a beer garden for when the weather gets warmer again :cute:so I can take the boys outside where they won't annoy the other patrons so much!

Guest Deb17

Thank you - I'll look for it in the street directory then...

You think a few more years is going to make a difference to your little ones annoying other people?

Mine are 14 and 11 and still at it! It never ends...as they get taller their mouths get bigger!

Guest guest569

Weve been to Mick o Sheas a few times. Like said it the closest thing to us as a "proper pub":biglaugh: Beers a bit expensive though !!:chatterbox:

The Seacliff hotel is also another good one.:jiggy:

Give us a shout if you fancy.:)

Guest graandjac

:)Mick o'sheas is ok and if you go in the week they a do half price menu, the thing that i find sad is the fact that why are you all looking for an English pub were in Auatralia after all :arghh:. Its clear why people suffer here, drop looking for England there is nothing to compare the two...!!!!:realmad:cheers Graham

Guest guest569

:biglaugh:Chill graham, No ones looking for England. Just like the feel of a decent pub wether it be English, Australian ,polish or zimbabwian :jiggy:

Ive been here almost 3 years now and don't seek or miss the Uk at all .

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh: No Worries , saying that went to the best pub every yesterday in Handorf a German pub with Litres of beer:jiggy:in jugs, was driving so only had one;),

Cheers Graham......you know what i mean about people looking for english stuff though.....??

Can't really say we like the pubs here. Hubby being a chef and all that.

Mick O'Shea's beer is ridiculously expensive and we don't rate the food all that either.

The Seaford isn't that great. Fridays is feral but you might get a good band on Saturday night. Wouldn't recommend the food there.

The best one we've found is the HWY Hotel on Anzac Highway, not eaten there but the atmosphere is great on Sundays!

Hope this helps.

you know what i mean about people looking for english stuff though.....??

I think these are just the new ones missing their home comforts. Nothing particularly wrong with that but in Australia, do as the Aussies do!! It will be easier to settle.

Guest stufi1997

Hiya,

I can recommend the Hotel Victor, we were there last night and the atmosphere was great and the wine and beer was cheap too......maybe too cheap...........xx Fiona

Hiya,

I can recommend the Hotel Victor, we were there last night and the atmosphere was great and the wine and beer was cheap too......maybe too cheap...........xx Fiona

Where's that then????:wubclub:

:)Mick o'sheas is ok and if you go in the week they a do half price menu, the thing that i find sad is the fact that why are you all looking for an English pub were in Auatralia after all :arghh:. Its clear why people suffer here, drop looking for England there is nothing to compare the two...!!!!:realmad:cheers Graham

It's got nothing to do with comparing England and Australia Graham! We've been here a year, and whilst there's lots that I miss about England, dark dirty pubs aren't one of them! It's about finding somewhere that hasn't got rows of pokies and drunken mullets shouting the odds whilst we're trying to have a quiet drink with the kids!

Guest Deb17

Thanks for the info guys, and I know what you're all saying. I've been here a fortnight off two years now though and do miss going out to a proper English pub is all. The Aussie places I have stuck my head round the door in seem so soulless and plastic; no character. And anyway, it's OK for blokes going in pubs ---loads of OTHER blokes, Aussie or otherwise propping up the bar and ogling the poor wenches who stray into their territory. It's a bit intimidating from a WOMAN'S point of view --- all those leery fellas gawping at the goods (I should be so lucky!)

Guest Deb17
It's got nothing to do with comparing England and Australia Graham! We've been here a year, and whilst there's lots that I miss about England, dark dirty pubs aren't one of them! It's about finding somewhere that hasn't got rows of pokies and drunken mullets shouting the odds whilst we're trying to have a quiet drink with the kids!

And well said to the Monaghans. Quite right too. We just want a nice 'family' atmosphere. :)

Guest Deb17
Hiya,

So that's where you were Madam, slurping at the drip trays in the Victor Hotel! :biglaugh:

Guest graandjac
And well said to the Monaghans. Quite right too. We just want a nice 'family' atmosphere. :)

And i agree with you , what i was trying to say was if you are looking for an Uk style cosey pub there are not many about , The christies Beach Hotel is family friendly and has a play area just outside within view cheers Graham

Guest stufi1997
So that's where you were Madam, slurping at the drip trays in the Victor Hotel! :biglaugh:

:goofy:It's an adventure...differnent flavour every time;)

We dont get out much but on the odd occasions on a nice day we venture down to Mick O'sheas for a swift one with our young son..........Its is a bit expensive but its

a couple of Drinks and not a bad atomsphere.................

Guest Deb17

Thanks for all replies guys and gals. Have made a note of a few places now that I can try out before choosing somewhere to celebrate my impending 40th (and hopefully not sit crying into my beer at the vast, empty wasteland of my life lol)

Guest cbeeb

Bush inn in willunga is the nearest to a pub we have found, my hubby managed to have a pint(or nearly a pint ) and watch the rugby yesterday afternoon cheered him up no end