Golf Courses

Guest Shy Ted

Guest Shy Ted

Hi all,

We got our visa last week and secured my job too, so we are heading out to Adelaide in about 5 weeks(talk about all at once eh!!). I play a lot of golf, so I will be looking to get myself set up with a good club pretty soon after I get there. I've done a bit of research on the 'net but as is always the case with this type of thing, you can't beat advice from people who have played the courses and gauged the scene as to the best clubs to get involved with.

I don't really mind how much I have to have to pay as long as the course is in good condition all year round, but I'm not bothered about paying for the club tie either, if you know what I mean, so if anyone could advise I'd be most grateful!

Guest graandjac

:)Hi ted, well yesterday me (Graham) guzzler had our arses spanked by smit and Ian B , we had a great day at Adelaide shores on the 18 hole course . Once again it was good to meet a new face in smit even if he can spank the ball out of site , which was proved when he drove the green on a par 4:arghh::biglaugh::notworthy:.

There are so many to chose from depending on where you decide to set up i have played Willunga (public) very green fairly open and not to hard 18holes $20.00, also Macracken at Victor Harbour big long course and very much a resort type place but it is suffering due to the lack of water but still good $35.00 18 holes . We have also played Victor Harbour Golf Club......the first T will be the best you have ever stood on with Fantastic views, tree lined but open good condition There is loads of courses out here and the standard is so far pretty good (even if my golf is not). Only in Australia yesterday a guy came round in a buggy selling cold beers and hot pies grrrrrrrrrreat and we saw some guys pulling there trollies behind little scooters (motor bikes) had to laugh but why not.........cheers Graham

P.S thanks for a good day yesterday guys

Guest smit
Hi ted, well yesterday me (Graham) guzzler had our arses spanked by smit and Ian B , we had a great day at Adelaide shores on the 18 hole course . Once again it was good to meet a new face in smit even if he can spank the ball out of site , which was proved when he drove the green on a par 4

There are so many to chose from depending on where you decide to set up i have played Willunga (public) very green fairly open and not to hard 18holes $20.00, also Macracken at Victor Harbour big long course and very much a resort type place but it is suffering due to the lack of water but still good $35.00 18 holes . We have also played Victor Harbour Golf Club......the first T will be the best you have ever stood on with Fantastic views, tree lined but open good condition There is loads of courses out here and the standard is so far pretty good (even if my golf is not). Only in Australia yesterday a guy came round in a buggy selling cold beers and hot pies grrrrrrrrrreat and we saw some guys pulling there trollies behind little scooters (motor bikes) had to laugh but why not.........cheers Graham

P.S thanks for a good day yesterday guys

It must have been the company that inspired me to unleash that one :). Mind you , I was told that you were up to other things at the time!. Had a very good afternoon and would love to do it again sometime...............maybe with a few beers around someones after:biglaugh:.

As for the scooters...........never seen that in my life...... Havin a Giraffe!!:)

I do believe we shot off without settling up with the winner though!! . Feel bit guilty. but safe in the knowledge hes a few Km's away:biglaugh:

Ted..........................which part of Adelaide you heading?

Ahh!!!!!!!!!!!! by the way , this hole is a short one!.................................doh!

So that was the "short par 4" you mis led us on;)

340yds yes i suppose is short

Great game guys thanks again, looking forward to the next one

Graham, hope Keith fell asleep in the car on the way back or did he tell you once again how good he was?

Guest Shy Ted

I'm going to be staying with family in Henley Beach to start off with as I have to start my job rapid, so family are following a little later on. It will give me a chance to case out a decent house for us though.

I'm more impressed with a sub 27 putt round that a long driver though, the trees are full of big hitters, but they never tell you about those ;)

Any thoughts on good clubs for membership guys??

Guest Guzzler&Sas
So that was the "short par 4" you mis led us on;)

340yds yes i suppose is short

Great game guys thanks again, looking forward to the next one

Graham, hope Keith fell asleep in the car on the way back or did he tell you once again how good he was?

The older I get the better I was, by yesterday Ian, Graham was telling people I had beat him by a point when we all know it was double that:p, maybe next time Gra can have a go on the par 60 course while we stick to the man's course,

Ted Glenelg might be worth looking at for membership,

Guzzler

Guest smit

I'm more impressed with a sub 27 putt round that a long driver though, the trees are full of big hitters, but they never tell you about those ;)

If it takes you 5 to get to the green that wont help you too much;) Its the allround game that counts!

Im impressed the way some people assume things ;) endears them greatly!

Guest smit
maybe next time Gra can have a go on the par 60 course while we stick to the man's course,

Guzzler

Will he need a scooter to get round ?:)

Guest Shy Ted
If it takes you 5 to get to the green that wont help you too much;) Its the allround game that counts!

Im impressed the way some people assume things ;) endears them greatly!

It was only meant as joke. For the record, I haven't made any assumptions about anybody or anything. "The trees are full of long hitters" is a quote from Harvey Penick.

I was just trying to get some rapport & banter going between golf lovers. If I'm pushing on a locked door I'm sorry for that. :sad:

Enjoy your golf guys.

Guest graandjac
It was only meant as joke. For the record, I haven't made any assumptions about anybody or anything. "The trees are full of long hitters" is a quote from Harvey Penick.

I was just trying to get some rapport & banter going between golf lovers. If I'm pushing on a locked door I'm sorry for that. :sad:

Enjoy your golf guys.

Hi Ted , believe me we like nothing more than a good old banter , after all its the first time that Keith has beaten me....!!! And the only big hitters were Ianb and Smit , whilst me and Keith looked on in ore. Always happy to have a round with a new jumper:biglaugh:and dont worry about the locked doors i recon there must have been a few sore heads about:pto many late nights and all that. Cheers Graham

Guest smit

No problems here then!..................and who the heck is Harvey Penick????

Problem with forums is that its only words..........................cant see or here the context:)

Guest Shy Ted

Harvey Morrison Penick (October 23, 1904April 2, 1995) was a well-known golf pro and instructor.

He began his golf career as a caddy at Austin Country Club at age eight. He became the club's assistant pro five years later, and was promoted to head professional in 1923, a role which he remained in until 1973.

Penick was the Golf Coach at the University of Texas from 1931 - 1963, and coached Tom Kite. In 1989 Penick was honored by the PGA of America as Teacher of the Year. He authored Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, which is the highest selling golf book ever published.

During his final illness, he gave lessons from his deathbed to longtime student Ben Crenshaw. The day after serving as a pallbearer at Penick's funeral, Crenshaw played in The Masters, and wept after sinking the winning putt. In the post-tournament interview, Crenshaw said: "I had a 15th club in my bag," a reference to Penick. (The "15th club" reference is based on the golf rule that limits a player to carrying 14 clubs during a round.) He is considered one of the best golf teachers that ever lived. :notworthy:

The little red book is a damn good read if you like your golf.

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Hi Ted , believe me we like nothing more than a good old banter , after all its the first time that Keith has beaten me....!!! And the only big hitters were Ianb and Smit , whilst me and Keith looked on in ore. Always happy to have a round with a new jumper:biglaugh:and dont worry about the locked doors i recon there must have been a few sore heads about:pto many late nights and all that. Cheers Graham

Not the last I can assure you mate;), and I would like to clearly state you don't have to be a big hitter to hit the trees, or the water hazards,or the bunkers shall I go on,

par par for now

Guzzler

Guest graandjac
Not the last I can assure you mate;), and I would like to clearly state you don't have to be a big hitter to hit the trees, or the water hazards,or the bunkers shall I go on,

par par for now

Guzzler

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: and we both saw loads of the above

Guest Shy Ted

So, back to the plot guys. Can you clue me up on decent courses to join, not toooooooooooo expensive (I'm paying £1500 a yeat at the moment) so a saving against that would be nice!

Someone mentioned Grange GC and Tea Tree Gully GC to me. What do you reckon?

Also, how often do you guys play? Have you got a Society going? I play till my hands bleed so I need some moral support!

Guest smit
So, back to the plot guys. Can you clue me up on decent courses to join, not toooooooooooo expensive (I'm paying £1500 a yeat at the moment) !
is 1500 not expensive then:err: I was paying 600 when i left over 2 yr ago.............. Im sure you will have a pick for $3000 pa. I know flagstaff hill isnt anywhere near that.............go on their website to look. Nice course , dont know about the social side though.

Guest graandjac
So, back to the plot guys. Can you clue me up on decent courses to join, not toooooooooooo expensive (I'm paying £1500 a yeat at the moment) so a saving against that would be nice!

Someone mentioned Grange GC and Tea Tree Gully GC to me. What do you reckon?

Also, how often do you guys play? Have you got a Society going? I play till my hands bleed so I need some moral support!

!!!How much i should think you can join Royal Adelaide for that if thats you budget there must be loads, i think Keith was looking at joining Willunga for about $600-$700 PA there are loads of info of golf clubs on www.adelaidebound.com .

Cheers Graham