A good place to buy kids clothes

Guest chillyanna

Guest chillyanna

Hi all

does anybody know good stores to buy kids clothes and shoes from.

we like to buy from next here in the uk and were just wondering if there was a store in adelaide with a similar quality of clothes,

and also any stores that sell good quality mens and womens clothes..

all info welcomed

cheers

paul

Yes there is a good kids store, its called Next and its in the UK - I find it cheaper to buy and get it posted over -

:biglaugh::biglaugh: Unfortunately the MacLeods are right! The quality of kids clothes here is pretty poor (some of you may remember me whinging about it not so long ago!). Pumpkin Patch is good but expensive. Kids Who is ok as well, there's a discount store at Harbour Town. Target stocks nice clothes but again, the quality is low. If it has a zip you can guarantee it will break within a fortnight! I'd recommend bringing a suitcase full of clothes from Next, Tesco and Asda, just buy the next couple of sizes up! And before anyone starts banging on about how I should stop moaning and get on with living here....:P It's MY opinion ok?????:arghh:

Guest donna T

[! And before anyone starts banging on about how I should stop moaning and get on with living here....:P It's MY opinion ok?????:arghh:

Stop bloody moaning and get on with living here :biglaugh: Love ya x

Guest Tina P

Hi

You are not moaning Liz, I agree. I like to have both my girls looking smart and the only way to do it is to have parcels sent from the uk or Ebay from the uk.

Shoes are very poor in choice as well.

I have sold lots of Ruby's outgrown clothes and shoes here on Ebay and they have all sold, mostly Next. I save Molly's for Ruby.

Like Liz has suggested just buy as much as you can in the uk summer sales and bring it over.

Im lucky though as my sister works for Next and goes to the staff shop, oh how I pine for a Next bargain.

Tina

:)

Guest Lulujim
:biglaugh: Unfortunately the MacLeods are right! The quality of kids clothes here is pretty poor (some of you may remember me whinging about it not so long ago!). Pumpkin Patch is good but expensive. Kids Who is ok as well, there's a discount store at Harbour Town. Target stocks nice clothes but again, the quality is low. If it has a zip you can guaran:biglaugh:tee it will break within a fortnight! I'd recommend bringing a suitcase full of clothes from Next, Tesco and Asda, just buy the next couple of sizes up! And before anyone starts banging on about how I should stop moaning and get on with living here....:P It's MY opinion ok?????

I really appreciate hearing this. I remember you saying it a while ago and I have gone mental in the summer sales buying lots of sizes (3-4 and even 4-5 even though my daughter only turned 2 last month!). People keep saying that if there aren't nice clothes shops in SA, then it own't matter and buying nice clothes obv isn't the same over there.. but I can't imagine that?? It's not that my children have designer clothes - just good quality!!

My OH is less pleased with my buying up all these clothes, and said yesterday 'So we'll be needing a full container then - not the half one' :biglaugh:

Keep the tips coming!! x

Guest Kiki

Hi Girls

I too am shopping for all the bargains I can find before we leave in Jan. To be honest I should be allowed out of the house. I need to do a inventory of what I have bought. Watch we get there and the kids have no clothes that fit only clothes 2 sizes bigger. LOL.

The NEXT Sale is not this Saturday but next so I will be there early doors. I have discovered the Disneystore USA. Now in UK I can only access it by typing Disney Outlet it redirects you to the full priced UK site. I have bought lots of Rash guard tops, shorts and cossi's on there and delivery is not bad and they deliver to Oz. Kids Clothes you dont pay customs on. So there is no bill to pay when the goods arrive. Great to stock up on beach wear the Rash guard tops girls and boys were $US 7.99.

Check it out.:wubclub:

Kimberley xx

Guest Lulujim
Hi Girls

I need to do a inventory of what I have bought. Watch we get there and the kids have no clothes that fit only clothes 2 sizes bigger. LOL.

:biglaugh::biglaugh: So funny!!

Guest Deb17

:embarrassed: I was a bit stroppy mareish wasn't I???? I must need a drink to cheer me up - where's that box of cab sav...?:biglaugh:

Box!!! ;)Ah, you're a woman after my own heart Liz!:wubclub:

On the subject of clothes in general, yes the majority of clothes out here are made in 'choina' (got to say it with the right Aussie twang) and are therefore of a lesser quality than we're used to in the UK, but having said that, the clothes are not really meant to last more than a season anyway, are they? Let's face it, one summer of being mangled through the innards of a top loader and then hung on a line in blazing sunshine, basically means you have to cut them up for dusters afterwards. They're either warped, stretched or bleached beyond recognition, so is it really worth buying more expensive labels? I say, just buy as cheaply as you can in KMart, Target or Big W, and if they get wrecked after a couple of washes, well you haven't spent a fortune so what does it matter? With kids' clothes it's not going to be worth paying more dosh either, since with all this sunshine the kids sprout like broad beans and will soon outgrow stuff and need it replacing quick enough.

Oh, and one more thing, best to buy summery stuff made of crinkled cotton, so you don't have to IRON it either.

Guest Guzzler&Sas

wow ladies ..... I know it is all your own opinions but ..... and you know me, not one to be argumentative :wubclub:

I like my girls to look nice too, but during the summer months, they are really only in t-shirts and shorts or rash tops on the beach and then thongs (flip-flops) on their feet. I have completely dropped the UK attitute of dressing my kids for other people and keeping up with playgroup clam ...

I look for the bargains and shop for the girls in Kmart, BigW and Target and love the clothes. I just got the girls some stunning long sleeve tees for $5 each and they are lovely. Even Keith commented on how nice they were?:v_SPIN:

I have not brought them anything in David Jones or Myers because I don't believe in spending hard earned money on clothes for the kids, just my opinion.

Let kids be kids, roll around, get messy, have fun - who cares what they are wearing?

Has anyone tried Bonza Brats in Reynella - it is a clothes exchange?

And this is only my opinion ....:wubclub:

Lots of love

Sas

xxx

Guest Libby1971

Oh, and one more thing, best to buy summery stuff made of crinkled cotton, so you don't have to IRON it either.

Oh Deb, you and me are on the same wavelength.:biglaugh:

Stuff quality! I feel the fabric...if I think it is going to need stacks of ironing it stays in the shop...life is far too complicated to bother ironing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nah:

Guest Libby1971
wow ladies ..... I know it is all your own opinions but ..... and you know me, not one to be argumentative

I like my girls to look nice too, but during the summer months, they are really only in t-shirts and shorts or rash tops on the beach and then thongs (flip-flops) on their feet. I have completely dropped the UK attitute of dressing my kids for other people and keeping up with playgroup clam ...

I look for the bargains and shop for the girls in Kmart, BigW and Target and love the clothes. I just got the girls some stunning long sleeve tees for $5 each and they are lovely. Even Keith commented on how nice they were?

I have not brought them anything in David Jones or Myers because I don't believe in spending hard earned money on clothes for the kids, just my opinion.

Let kids be kids, roll around, get messy, have fun - who cares what they are wearing?

Has anyone tried Bonza Brats in Reynella - it is a clothes exchange?

And this is only my opinion ....:wubclub:

Lots of love

Sas

xxx

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Just arrived in Adelaide 1 month ago was in Melbourne before that.

For those that don't know Melbourne it is the fashion capital of Oz. Was a bit of a culture shock coming to Adelaide for clothes and quality.

I think shopping for kids depends on what you want. In general cheaper stuff from Target etc is great for everyday play but if you want something a bit smarter then i like Myer and David Jones but even there the quality is not nearly so good as Next even though their stuff is made in china too. Maybe we need to target Next management to open up a shop here!!!

My post yesterday about going to Myer and David Jones was a bit tongue in cheek. I have always resisted shopping there because for most of my needs, they are pricey, and I have always found Big W, K-Mart and Target (pronounced Tarjay if you want it to sound a little more up-market!!) to be OK. However, it's like comparing Tesco and ASDA with M&S and Waitrose. Some people just want the quality, and good luck to them if they can spare the cash. I've had some great shirts from Big W, and my favourite shorts, still looking great after 5 years, were bought from Big W for $25. Whilst temporarily in the UK, I have bought shorts (you might think I never wear long trousers - not quite true!) and shoes from Next, and found them to be not really any better than those I bought in Oz. My very favourite clothes shop, Rivers in Marion, was gone when I was over for the Oz summer, so in anticipation of my return in September, does anyone know if Rivers still have a store anywhere in beautiful downtown Adelaide, or any of the suburban malls? In conclusion, I think we become accustomed to things and defend what we know and love. Next is great (and TK Maxx pretty good too!), bur Rivers and the big Oz stores are no worse, IMHO. I do agree about Next opening in Oz though, it would be great. Let's get Monsoon clothes too, for my darling Cazzie, or will she just continue to buy from Ebay and pay a little more postage?

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:Kids come home from school go into the garden (even now in winter) get everything dirty, at the weekend we go for walks or soon bike rides and the beach clothes get dirty. Then we go to bbqs where there are loads of kids all bundeling around clothes getting wrecked .........why spend on clothes...!!!!!, come the summer its going to be shorts and t shirts all the way. Cheers Graham:p

hmmm just a thought though that your older kidlets may soon want to blend in with their aussie counterparts and may actually like the clothes here. Surfie stuff is big in summer, but not everyone wears it all the time cpt my son who seems to shop exclusively at JRs and Rip Curl these days even for socks :D

Next Sale this Saturday (19th July). Instore and online. I'm going to stock up as it'll be all the summer stuff that we'll be needing!!

RUB IT IN WHY DON'T YOU!!!!!:arghh: By the way, my original point was that things here don't last. I know that some of the stuff from K Mart and Big W is relatively cheap, but the fact is that they fall apart after three washes and to my mind that's NOT good value. Just my opinion of course....:biglaugh:

Guest chillyanna

I will be out side my local next this saturday morning bright and early 6AM ready to grab some bargins for my baby girl so she will some good quality clothes for the next few years.

we have always been next fans and cant miss the chance to stock up cheaper ready for australia..

we will also buy everyday clothes from places like big W and target, such like...

cheers

paul

Guest Guzzler&Sas
I know that some of the stuff from K Mart and Big W is relatively cheap, but the fact is that they fall apart after three washes and to my mind that's NOT good value. Just my opinion of course....:biglaugh:

Get the old man to buy you a decent washing machine instead of trekking down to the Onkaparinga river and using the rocks once a week,

Guzzler

• 2 weeks later...
Get the old man to buy you a decent washing machine instead of trekking down to the Onkaparinga river and using the rocks once a week,

Guzzler

Watch out for the Border Patrol when youre down there!