Reccie booked!

Guest suejohndan

Guest suejohndan

Hi,

Dont post very often but thought someone might have some ideas for us!!!

We have booked flights and land in Sydney on 7th August. We are hiring a motor home and traveling down to Adelaide through Melbourne. Just wondered if anyone knew of any places to stay on the way. We are staying with family in Blacksmiths north of Sydney for 5 days before we set off on the big adventure. We hope to spend at least 10 days in Adelaide.

If anyone can tell us of any camp sites in Adelaide that will take a camper van at this time of the year please let us know.

Cheers :unsure:

Sounds like a great adventure, but remember it will be really cold!!!! Take plenty of layers of warm clothes and I hope the motor home has heating. How long are you going to take travelling to Melbourne and Adelaide?? Canberra is half way between Sydney and Melbourne but not that exciting (and very cold at night). Between Melbourne and Adelaide you can do it in a day if you drive direct, or if you want a more scenic route you can take a few days and go via the Great Ocean Road. Just head south west out of Melbourne through Geelong and down to Torquay on the coast. The road goes all along the coast and is really spectacular, but in winter it will be pretty windswept, like Cornwall in October or November. It goes through lovely coastal resorts like Lorne and Apollo Bay. Further on there are the famous 12 Apostles (big rock cliffs out in the sea). As it is a holiday destination there are bound to be camp sites where you can take the motor home (if they are open in the middle of winter!!). I remember staying in a caravan overnight at Torquay. Beyond the Great Ocean Road head for Mount Gambier in South Australia then up to Adelaide on the Princes highway. Tantanoola has some good caves. The roads will be incredibly empty.

Good luck, it will be cold.

Guest suejohndan

Thanks for the reply Anne. I know it will be cold but I work in a school so we have to go in the holidays. We can handle the cold but not keen on rain!

Will it be freezing or just cold. The places you mentioned all look nice.

Thanks