Adelaide United Are They Any Good

Hi

I am thinking of getting a season ticket for Adelaide United when i arrive in late August but was wandering what the standard of football is like and how it compares to our football.

Also can anyone give me an idea on prices for season tickets.

Cheers

Derek & Jak

P.S I suppose I better tell you who I support back home well it is the mighty TEDDY BEARS (Glasgow Rangers for those who dont know) so no jokes that the standard in Australia should be higher than in Scotland.

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi,

I went last season and although the standard isn't great it's not that bad either.... Probably about the same as the English Championship, and supporting West Brom i know some bad football....

But the atmoshpere is really good, a bunch of fans at the one end sing some adelaide songs, a general admission ticket get's you anywhere in the ground except the main stand, nearly every seat has a good view, there's lots of vending stands selling various stuff, beer, pies, etc... and you get served quickly, if you don't want to sit, you can stand in the walkway around the ground.

$200 gets you a season ticket in the genral admission, for 10 matches.... $23 per match other wise...

The football here works similar to the AFL, they have wage caps to work with, and the worst team get's first draft of younger players... this sets a very fair league, but adelaide continues to punch above it's weight and has done well, and should do ok again this year, melbourne and Peth are possibly the stronger teams this season...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest pommyprincess

lmao @ championship standard!! i would of said more blue square conference hehehe.... i reckon that its entertaining to watch...knowing that back in the uk the local girls footy team would wipe the floor with them. lol.

dont think much of the atmosphere either...i reckon aussis lack real passion except when it comes to gay F L...lol so if you want the atmosphere get a port or crows season ticket :)

Guest SA Great

Adelaide United is about the same standard as Division One or Two in England. Everyone compares it to the Premier League then says its crap! It's incomparable to that league. I usually go once or twice a year, the stadium holds about 15,000 and it's quite a cheap day out. Australia isn't really known as a soccer playing nation although they are getting closer to England by the minute!!:shocked: There is a strong Italian influence at Adelaide United but you do see shirts from all corners of the globe.

The AFL (or gay FL as some of you guys call it) is a really good game. It's very physical, the crowds are quite good and once again is not an expensive day. The Adelaide Crows are the main supporter base with crowds around 40,000 and Port Power (my team!!) gets crowds around 25,000.

As I have said in other posts, if you want to fit in here you really should try different things so why not give the Footy a go!!! By the way, if you have more than 3 teeth then you probably won't fit in at a Port game, I have to black mine out!!!!!!!!

Guest pommyprincess
Gay FL?:biglaugh: My son seems to think so too; just hope the little evertonian doesn't upset the locals with that one!

i dont think they get upset about it... they just think its "pom typical" and rather witty. :goofy:all my mates are well into AFL, and i just cant get into it. i have tried, but i am a football (or soccer) girl at heart and unfortunately i cant see past the game. i might watch the grand final on the weekend tho...any excuse for a p*ss up :) y'all know how it is :biglaugh:

lmao @ championship standard!! i would of said more blue square conference hehehe..

They were asking about the standard in Oz not Scotland. :rolleyes::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I took my 7 year old to QPR v Southampton a few days before we flew out. He loved it so intend to take him to the Adelaide 'soccer' games. Though it deos go against the grain to cheer for a team called united that wear red.:unsure:

Pete

We DEFINITELY wont be cheering them on then, :biglaugh:, we are ABU's in this house.....anyone BUT utd. Having said the the FIL is one of the cheating red filth, his name is Martyn Edwards; sadly not the one who has all that dosh lying around;lol. Cudda bin worse, but i aint sure how!

Guess when we get there, we will do the stadia tour, check out the sporting life, and still end up on the golf course, tennis court or the bikes!!!!

Guest pommyprincess
They were asking about the standard in Oz not Scotland. :rolleyes::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I took my 7 year old to QPR v Southampton a few days before we flew out. He loved it so intend to take him to the Adelaide 'soccer' games. Though it deos go against the grain to cheer for a team called united that wear red.:unsure:

Pete

lmao yeah i agree with the whole red united thing...i think it goes against my whole religion but what the hell....its the best we got, and until they send another italian team out to shame the aussi league then i reckon were orite lol

and as for the whole scotland thing... the scottish league is like THE ultimate mickey mouse league...but i reckon celtic would p*ss all over any aussi team lol

Great to see a decent crowd there as well tonight - and I got a chance to shout insults at the ref (I have to restrain myself at son's games!) Nightmare getting somewhere to park though - we missed the first 30 minutes of the game as we had to park somewhere the other side of the brewery (which stank of beer by the way - reminded me of Romford in the old days - yukk)

Pete

Being a family of season ticket holding Leeds fans that's our thoughts too.

Although I do hear that their away kit is white, so you never know.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer hockey and rugby to gay FL and soccer but my sister and her family are into soccer. They watch the occasional matches and say it's pretty good. We were stoke City/Port Vale ppl.

Also watch the upcoming juniors. My neice plays for this state and was going to the junior olympic team but wasn't old enough this time around. She's aiming to be in the Matildas one day. They've won 4 yrs in a row now.

Just back from a week on the Gold Coast and really didn't want to miss the Adelaide United Asian Cup semi final first leg on Wednesday night! Went into Cavill Square where all the bars were showing the aussie cricket team (yaaawwwwwn!) so asked at one if they could put the soccer on! They changed nearly all the screens to the soccer for us (we felt really special :)), and everyone really enjoyed watching the match - especially as Adelaide United won 3-0 over the Uzbeks! Nice to see Micky Valkanis get a run at last too - had quite a few chats with him last year when my son was doing the Arsenal Soccer School here, of which Micky was a director. Really nice guy.

I enjoy watching AFL too, but can't get really bothered over whether to support Port or Crows - I just support either Adelaide team against the Vics! What's this about the Hawthorn team all having full (and I mean FULL) body waxing anyway??

Diane

• 2 weeks later...

Having at last got round to putting my first post on the forum after 12 months in Adelaide I couldn't resist doubling my total when I saw this thread.

I've been going to watch United regularly since we arrived last Xmas. They had their worst season last year since the start of the A-league a few years ago. But this season is certainly making up for it. Top of the A league as of Sunday night and now the hottest ticket in town as they have reached the Asian Champions League Final. No Aussie club has ever got beyond the group stages let alone to the final. It means they will also be playing in the World Club Championships in Japan in December.

I also watch the local Super League (semi pro) during the winter. The climate even got me to get my boots out again at the ripe old age of 40 and I've been playing friendlies for my university team. have also done a refs course and have a coaching course next weekend so yes I guess i'm a bit football crazy.

Also meant to say that I go to any local sport when i can. saw the crows in the cross country rugby last season and went to the local Aussie rules football (or fuudy as it seems to be known) final a few weeks ago between Central District and Glenelg. Good atmosphere there. also watched ice hockey (but not tempted to start playing again) and the Thunderbirds netball which they are a bit good at over here coz everyone plays it, and yes quite few blokes do play it as well.

Have got a question for sports fans.:unsure:

Does anyone else who's been to any major sport event here find it annoying when people seem to want to save 10 or more unreserved seats for their mates, half of whom invariably don't turn up or turn out to already be sitting somewhere else.

It's happened at the last 2 Adelaide Utd games. I usually get there early and sit with a few mates from the UniSA team when they arrive, so it doesn't really affect me.

But I feel a bit sorry for other people turning up well before kick off who spot a few seats and then get told , sorry they are saved, just as they are about to put their bums to anchor.:arghh:

Don't really remember that happening much at UK venues, only maybe 1 or 2 seats for people you know are coming and have arranged to meet, but not 10+.

I'll get off the soapbox now.:v_SPIN:

Guest David Brown

Well I think that the standard is below Championship (as a Wolves supporter from Wolverhampton, my team is doing well at present for a change) but Conference is a bit harsh. It may be Baggies standard though!!But you go for the atmosphere and the fact that you can't get to any English or other soccer matches. We've been following the Wellington Phoenix which have had good crowds, but they've been pretty rubbish to watch most of the time. Adelaide are doing better and my Chelsea-fan son (who is a neat goalie) are looking forward to our season ticket. That said, we've been trying to get into the AFL on the telly, its weird though, one of English friends, a Man Utd fan, has been in Oz 19 years and still doesn't understand AFL. Is it really that complicated? Another friend says she can't take them seriously as their shorts are too tight! Still, we're prepared to get into the local scene and follow all codes.

One thing I like about going to A-League games is all the different British soccer shirts you see in the crowd. When Beckham came last year to play the Phoenix, I even saw a Doncaster shirt!