3 little questions please

sue2oz

i just want to know where there are nice child friendly suburbs

1]good school for the kids plenty of things going on out of school

2]good community lots to do and join in with

3]good number of shops in the area as i dont drive

i hate posting questions like this, but if you dont ask you dont get hey:wubclub:

hope some of you help me out, even if you could answer my 3 questions about where you are because you are there and we are not yet, also you would be helping everyone else stuck in the 'where should will live' zone:biglaugh:

thanks guys ;)

suexxx(stressed out sue at the mo)

Well the area I live in has within walking distance 1 largish mall type shopping centre (due to expand), 1 smaller shopping centre, several strips of small shops with post office, newsagents, fruit n veg, some chinese and indian restaurants, a library, a pub. There are about four petrol stations too.

There are scouts/ guides, sporting teams, plenty of different parks and Glenelg, the city and Marion are only a short tram, train or bus ride away.

There are three kindies, one catholic primary, one state primary, but the one in the next suburb is better, and a private christian R-12 school which has sliding scale fees, depending on your income.

There is a lazer skirmish and a dvd hire shop or two.

Rachel

We're in Woodcroft which is south of Adelaide. It's a quiet, green suburb with a biggish shopping centre and about 15 minutes to the beach by car. Not sure about things like Joeys, my two are too young yet. Our daughter goes to swim lessons in Seaford but there is a swim school closer. She's been going to Seaford for a year now though so I'm not going to change it to somewhere closer. She also does ballet in Morphett Vale. Not sure how old your kids are but there are plenty of playgroups in the area and several child care centres. The schools are pretty good round here, Woodcroft Primary is a state school, it's large but has a good reputation and there is Woodcroft College which is private and has a very good reputation I believe. For older children there is Reynella East High School but I'm not sure how it rates. I think Libby's girls go there so she might be able to help further.

We are in Coromandel Valley - Don't live here unless you can drive and have access to a car. Lovely area but a nightmare with public transport etc. You have to drive to get anywhere.:)

just like to say THANKS to jackie, the monaghans, rachie and halt for your feedback it really helps alot:wubclub:

we have chosen afew suburbs in the north and south so i just guess its a case of when we land we will suss them out have a good look around.

suexxx

There are some lovely suburbs all around Adelaide. Personally I like the North East, because there are trees and hills here, and everything is within reach. We can be at the beach in 30 minutes, we have a local shopping centre, Tea Tree Plaza, just five minutes away, and (something that I realised just the other day is really a huge benefit) the City is just 20 minutes drive away. That means that we can nip down there on a Friday night to go to the market, and have something to eat at one of the many restaurants. The children have access to all the opportunities that the City offers - the best sports clubs are concentrated around the centre, the Adelaide Oval runs top class cricket coaching there in the holidays (for my son) and there are musical drama opportunities there (for my daughter), my daughter is in the Aussie Girls Choir and the top level rehearses on the edge of the City, the theatres are easily accessible for a night out, without it costing us a fortune in cab fares to come home, in festival season we can nip in, enjoy the street theatre, and not have a long drive home afterwards, we can go and watch a top level football match( well, ok 'top' is relative!), a basketball game, a netball game, an international cricket match, the rugby 7's, a band or a show and be home 30 minutes after it finishes... the list is endless. I have driven round some wonderful suburbs in the south, such as Happy Valley, Coromandel Valley etc, but I do wonder if the 40 minute+ drive from such places into the centre means people living there don't make the effort to pop into the City unless they really have to, and to be honest, (obviously just in my opinion!) if they don't, I really feel they are missing out on a lot! One of the things we wanted here was the best opportunities for our kids, and I feel that having the City within easy reach means they do get those best opportunities, not just what is available 'locally'.

I guess what I'm saying (rather long windedly of course - that's me!) is don't just consider what is IN the suburb of your choice, but also WHERE it is located.

Diane

PS There is good public transport too - I think the OBahn is a wonderful invention!

Guest Medindie Delight

As someone without kids I maybe shouldn't comment, but it appears to me there are bloomin kids everywhere and lots of places of child friendly activities, from kids clubs, to little athelitics and surf life saver clubs. I don't know where the good schools are but from what my colleagues tell me then nearer the city the better, there are probably exceptions but that's just a 3rd party opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt.

usually the crooks of it are what you want to do as a family when you are here, the outer suburbs are great value to the south or north and you can probably own a huge house with pool for not much money (relatively speaking) and have great bbq parties at home, but as Diane said i often get the impression here that so many people here live 30 mins plus from the city, and then rarely come into it, yet it is a great place to be, with all the festivals, shops, museums and activities they make the rest of the city look boring. And the transport is important too, ensure your near a rail line or the o'bahn...

Just one other thing to consider, your kids when they are 12+ are more likely to come into contact with drugs here than the UK, from what i get told by locals then the outer suburbs are rife with soft drugs and people grow there own. You can get drugs towards the city too, but townies seem much more savvy, where as the suburbs has that country feel where it's almost accepted as the norm.... An ex girlfriend from Seacliff had a stash so large and Weed garden that would make the yardies in birmingham blush..

As someone without kids I maybe shouldn't comment, but it appears to me there are bloomin kids everywhere and lots of places of child friendly activities, from kids clubs, to little athelitics and surf life saver clubs. I don't know where the good schools are but from what my colleagues tell me then nearer the city the better, there are probably exceptions but that's just a 3rd party opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt.

usually the crooks of it are what you want to do as a family when you are here, the outer suburbs are great value to the south or north and you can probably own a huge house with pool for not much money (relatively speaking) and have great bbq parties at home, but as Diane said i often get the impression here that so many people here live 30 mins plus from the city, and then rarely come into it, yet it is a great place to be, with all the festivals, shops, museums and activities they make the rest of the city look boring. And the transport is important too, ensure your near a rail line or the o'bahn...

Just one other thing to consider, your kids when they are 12+ are more likely to come into contact with drugs here than the UK, from what i get told by locals then the outer suburbs are rife with soft drugs and people grow there own. You can get drugs towards the city too, but townies seem much more savvy, where as the suburbs has that country feel where it's almost accepted as the norm.... An ex girlfriend from Seacliff had a stash so large and Weed garden that would make the yardies in birmingham blush..

not sure about the drugs thing really, it was rife in manchester where i came from, i think its one of those things u can find it wherever your going in the world, given friends travelling experiences,: and "drugs" problems to locals can seem far more significant to someone like myself who has come from an area where it was rife , (outer manchester burb). I guess if your from a sleepy village then yes it can seem a huge issue, perhaps being a nurse in inner city manchester and dealing with these people i have desensitised myself to it all, therfore the odd weed deal to me is insignificant, but saying that i wouldnt condone it, just dont want you to give the impression that the burbs are full of herion injecting and crack smoking layabouts :biglaugh:

Guest Medindie Delight

Hey look, drugs are everywhere, my experience is though near birmingham you have to go looking for them if you want it..

But in SA it is legal to grow upto 10 marajuana plants for personal use, over 90% of under 15's have tried it. Adelaide is Australia's drug capital...

Guest cazzie
Hey look, drugs are everywhere, my experience is though near birmingham you have to go looking for them if you want it..

But in SA it is legal to grow upto 10 marajuana plants for personal use, over 90% of under 15's have tried it. Adelaide is Australia's drug capital...

Zak,

I am probably being very naive here, but as an ex drugworker and having some experience of being around people who dabble in everything from marijuana to crack cocaine, reading your post has shocked me! I am truly amazed(although my OH Bill is totally unfazed) by the fact that people are allowed to grow their own weed! Where will I find the evidence for this (I think, irresponsible) by-law? I am speechless!!!!

Cazzie

Guest Aussie pat

Your comments concerned me as I grew up in Adelaide. I have checked reputable sources on the internet. Drug and Alcohol Services of SA research in 2005 says less than 40% of 12-17yo's have tried cannabis. The figures are similar if you look at 14yo's in 2004. This suggests that cannabis use is not endemic.

It is now illegal to grow cannabis in SA. In 1985 they did change the law to allow for 10 plants for personal use but they found it was wrong to do so. The law was then changed by the liberal government with the support of the labour opposition a few years ago in SA. If you are caught in possession of less than one plant you may get a fine. Over that you will get a criminal record.

Emerging research on cannabis has now dispelled the myth that it is a 'soft' drug.

Guest cazzie
Your comments concerned me as I grew up in Adelaide. I have checked reputable sources on the internet. Drug and Alcohol Services of SA research in 2005 says less than 40% of 12-17yo's have tried cannabis. The figures are similar if you look at 14yo's in 2004. This suggests that cannabis use is not endemic.

It is now illegal to grow cannabis in SA. In 1985 they did change the law to allow for 10 plants for personal use but they found it was wrong to do so. The law was then changed by the liberal government with the support of the labour opposition a few years ago in SA. If you are caught in possession of less than one plant you may get a fine. Over that you will get a criminal record.

Emerging research on cannabis has now dispelled the myth that it is a 'soft' drug.

Ausie Pat,

You have really reassured me, thank you.:)

Back to the original thread

I live in Seaford and in walking distance from my house are a decent shopping centre, library, swim centre, numerous fast food outlets, a high school, a private primary school and a couple of public primary schools. I am a parent helper at a local joey group which also has cubs and scouts attatched. There are numerous play areas and a couple of skate parks too!

Hope that helps

Lindsey

...or the Obahn - a lot quieter than trains - specially those freight ones that go through at night or in the early hours.... :)
I didnt actually mean ." living on the train line".....but living in a suburb thats on a train line:). BTW ..I thought your post was very informative in the area that you live:)

We have access to the city via the train , and I must say , ive used it quite a few times for entertainment purposes:jiggy: