How feasible is it?

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hiya,

I've got some idiolised vision of me and the kids going waterskiing when we get there. How feasible is this? are there places you can do this if you want..charter someone to take you out..bit like you can abroad? course I'd be scared of the sharks...seriously scared..maybe it'd be best to waterski in lakes ..is that a possibility..or are there crocs in the lakes..eeek. I need to get a grip of the shark thing..but I was brought up in the "jaws" days and find it hard to let it go :-) I'd also want to think I could go snorkelling in the summer months too..but somewhere that's safe from sharks.

We went scuba diving on holiday earlier this year and it was brilliant..our Kieran so took to it, as did Michael although he's done it before. When quizzing the guy about sharks he said "they're round the other side of the island..they never come to this side"..mmmm...(Fuertaventura). He then said 200 people a year die of a coconut landing on their head (worldwide) and only 2 people a year die of shark attacks (worldwide)...makes you think eh..don't sit under a coconut tree :)

I know I'm being paranoid about the shark thing but Kieran is asking a lot about them..I'd so hate him to miss out on the beach thing for my irrational fear that I feel I'm passing on already.

Cheers for now...Carol Ann

Guest graandjac

:)Love a bit of water skiing myself, but the only in land waterskiing is on the Murry River, as all South Australia in land Lakes , resevoirs and Dams are out of bounds for all activities inc swimming ...!!!!

Hi Carol Ann

One of the main things I am doing with the wife and kids when we get to Adelaide will be taking them up the Murray River and water skiing. I grew up in Adelaide and love the river. There are no nasties in the river so it just normal water saftey issues. You can hire ski boats and all the equipment from places up and down the river, I know a place in Manum which is on the river about 90 minutes from Adelaide. One of the very best holidays you will ever have is to hire a house boat on the river and get a ski boat also. The Murray River house boats are awesome and you can't help but to relax and do exactly what you want, swim, fish, ski, read, sunbake, canoe, cook BBQ's, camp fire's.... anything you want.

As far a snorkeling goes, there are a number of great little places in the metro area where you can see some fish. Regarding sharks, I am scared of them too and when I am sitting in my office in Nottingham I wonder if I will go in the sea however when I go down to Adelaide for work and it's 35 degrees and the sun is sparkling off the clear water it will take more than an irrational fear of sharks to keep you out of the water!!

Have fun.

Dallas

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol Ann

One of the main things I am doing with the wife and kids when we get to Adelaide will be taking them up the Murray River and water skiing. I grew up in Adelaide and love the river. There are no nasties in the river so it just normal water saftey issues. You can hire ski boats and all the equipment from places up and down the river, I know a place in Manum which is on the river about 90 minutes from Adelaide. One of the very best holidays you will ever have is to hire a house boat on the river and get a ski boat also. The Murray River house boats are awesome and you can't help but to relax and do exactly what you want, swim, fish, ski, read, sunbake, canoe, cook BBQ's, camp fire's.... anything you want.

As far a snorkeling goes, there are a number of great little places in the metro area where you can see some fish. Regarding sharks, I am scared of them too and when I am sitting in my office in Nottingham I wonder if I will go in the sea however when I go down to Adelaide for work and it's 35 degrees and the sun is sparkling off the clear water it will take more than an irrational fear of sharks to keep you out of the water!!

Have fun.

Dallas

Fantastic news...Murray River it is then ...happy days. Sound fab. Our Kieran has just got into fishing and is bringing home mackerel practically every day. I have no idea how to gut fish and I'm ending up with what can only amount to a piece of fish the size of a 10p...lol.

Just loving the sound of the holiday I know we will definitely do the house boat thing that sounds amazing. Can anyone hire the speed boats though? We recently sold our trailer tent and I felt it was the end of an era...but maybe the house boat holiday is the answer :-)

OMG ..getting so excited just thinking about it.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find anything on t'internet about it.

Cheers

Carol Ann

Guest SA Great
Fantastic news...Murray River it is then ...happy days. Sound fab. Our Kieran has just got into fishing and is bringing home mackerel practically every day. I have no idea how to gut fish and I'm ending up with what can only amount to a piece of fish the size of a 10p...lol.

Just loving the sound of the holiday I know we will definitely do the house boat thing that sounds amazing. Can anyone hire the speed boats though? We recently sold our trailer tent and I felt it was the end of an era...but maybe the house boat holiday is the answer :-)

OMG ..getting so excited just thinking about it.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find anything on t'internet about it.

Cheers

Carol Ann

Hi Carol Ann,

Yes houseboats are great. We go every other year. They have on board spas, en-suites, etc.

With regards to water skiing I am looking at getting a ski boat as we speak, great fun. You do have to have a boating licence though. Even if you hire a ski boat you will still need a licence. Just get friendly with someone who has a boat!! There is a place at Mannum called Breeze Hire that hire out ski boats, canoes, jet skis etc but you need a licence.

There is a place at Goolwa where you can hire jet skis without a licence. They didn't open last year because of the drought (low water levels) but hopefully they will reopen this year. Hope this answers your question!

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol Ann,

Yes houseboats are great. We go every other year. They have on board spas, en-suites, etc.

With regards to water skiing I am looking at getting a ski boat as we speak, great fun. You do have to have a boating licence though. Even if you hire a ski boat you will still need a licence. Just get friendly with someone who has a boat!! There is a place at Mannum called Breeze Hire that hire out ski boats, canoes, jet skis etc but you need a licence.

There is a place at Goolwa where you can hire jet skis without a licence. They didn't open last year because of the drought (low water levels) but hopefully they will reopen this year. Hope this answers your question!

Hi there,..I found a link and sent it to OH the houseboat I saw did indeed have a spa..they look just brilliant ..that's defo a holiday for us at some point no doubt about it.

So my next question ..bet you knew this was coming..but how hard is it to get a licence?:)

Thanks SA great....erm...so you're about to buy a boat you say....erm....whistles...cough....wanna be my friend ??;)

Guest SA Great
Hi there,..I found a link and sent it to OH the houseboat I saw did indeed have a spa..they look just brilliant ..that's defo a holiday for us at some point no doubt about it.

So my next question ..bet you knew this was coming..but how hard is it to get a licence?:)

Thanks SA great....erm...so you're about to buy a boat you say....erm....whistles...cough....wanna be my friend ??;)

LOL I haven't bought it yet!!!! But am looking at the moment. Also am looking at getting the licence. If you go to Transport SA website it tells you how to get the licence, just a simple test!! Well, hopefully it's simple!! Just about to embark on this so hopefully it goes well. If you want any info re houseboats then let me know because we have been on a few. You don't stop off at country pubs like the UK, over here you tie it to a couple of trees in the middle of nowhere and make your own fun. It's really great.

Guest rockpool crab
You can hire house boats with a normal car licence. Ski boats you need a boat licence that is just a sit down test at to transport office, easy peasy.

Dallas

A sit down test at the transport office..wow..I would have thought at least you'd have to have someone sit with you in the speed boat to make sure you could do it. Just a paper test..crikey...ooo...off onto t'internet again see if I can find anything on that now.:)

Cheers for the info... Carol Ann

Guest katsmajic

Our friend has a boat and goes water skiing down in clayton and lake alexandra, (river murray) but couldnt do anything last year due to the low water levels.

Were hoping the river has recovered enough to go out on the boat this year, although when we were down at clayton last week it didnt look too promising.

Our friends friend's houseboat was grounded...was a very sad sight down there. We saw the 'marina/jetty' and the water was a good 3meters below the platform - all boats up on land, but saying that our friend said its improved massively on what it looked like last year.

Our friend also scubas here, there are wrecks to do organised dives to and for the learner there are dive schools, one at port noarlunga...count me out tho...just knowing there are great whites cruising the area puts me off wanting to go into deep waters.

Guest rockpool crab
Our friend has a boat and goes water skiing down in clayton and lake alexandra.

Hi there,

My new friend "SA Great" nearly has a boat ;)

Thanks for the info. Don't think I could scuba either with the thought of the sharks..eeeee...dunno...maybe if I had a chainmail suit on but be hard to swim eh ..lol

Catch you later

Carol Ann

Guest Guest75

The Murray is great for skiing and "gentle" boating.Further upstream past lock 1 (Waikerie I think) there is still plenty of water.

You do need a boat license to operate a powered water craft.It is easy enough to get it through Transport SA

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licences_certification/boat_operator/index.asp

But as you note there is no practical training.

I'm just getting into the boating lark but mainly for marine.

I've just joined the South Australian Sea Rescue Squadron.You don't have to join in all the activities or be fully operational but eventually I'll go on operational reserve.If there is a big "shout" I can do my bit.

The Squadron runs many training courses which spurred me to join.

I've just taken my Marine Radio Operators Proficiency Certificate and hopefully passed.This gets me onto the more serious radio which will help much more for serious and life threatening situations.

The main course I'm interested in is the Seamanship Course.Completing this will also lead to a Boat Operators License but after 8 weeks intensive and practical training on the water.This was the way to go for me.I'll be a lot more confident as there are so many things that can go wrong.

One great thing is that once you join the courses can be up to half price - I've got my membership fee back already from one course!

Also they are a great bunch of guys who are very helpful and offer lots of advice - they really want you to be safe.

I had a lot of advice last night from a guy who has a boat I'm really considering.

If you are anyone wants more info feel free to PM me.

BTW we attended the AGM last night to be inducted into the Squadron - we won a huge meat pack in the raffle - it just gets better!

http://www.sasearescue.org.au/

UPDATE.................... WOHOOOO!!! Just had notification that I've passed my radio operators license with 96% !!!!

Guest SA Great
Hi there,

My new friend "SA Great" nearly has a boat ;)

Thanks for the info. Don't think I could scuba either with the thought of the sharks..eeeee...dunno...maybe if I had a chainmail suit on but be hard to swim eh ..lol

Catch you later

Carol Ann

He he he you sound like a real character Carol Ann....I think you will fit in very well over here!!!

The new inflatable chainmail suits are quite good! I also go snorkelling and have never seen a shark. You have got more chance of being killed on the road going to the beach....but not by a shark though!!

Guest rockpool crab
He he he you sound like a real character Carol Ann....I think you will fit in very well over here!!!

The new inflatable chainmail suits are quite good! I also go snorkelling and have never seen a shark. You have got more chance of being killed on the road going to the beach....but not by a shark though!!

ROFL...seriously though..how's the boat thing going? gosh..ermm...what colour might it be..which is the extent of my boat knowledge :-)

I'm slowly coming round to the snorkelling thing and shark's ..what the hell...we all got to go sometime..I know when the sun is shining I won't be able to stop myself!

Cheers for the laffs... Carol Ann

Good tip - find a friend with a water ski boat, apparently you really need two families involved to do the whole thing properly (one to drive and one to spot or something or other) so if you find a friend with a boat, they can have the "hole in the water surrounded by wood into which you pour money" and you can have the fun!

As for scuba, daughter went for the first time in Fiji this year and adored it - water's a lot warmer there too than here, and apparently (so they said) the sharks are more laid back too!!

D

Guest SA Great
Good tip - find a friend with a water ski boat, apparently you really need two families involved to do the whole thing properly (one to drive and one to spot or something or other) so if you find a friend with a boat, they can have the "hole in the water surrounded by wood into which you pour money" and you can have the fun!

As for scuba, daughter went for the first time in Fiji this year and adored it - water's a lot warmer there too than here, and apparently (so they said) the sharks are more laid back too!!

D

Yes you have to have a minimum of three people to go skiing. One driving, one in the passenger seat watching the skier and one hopefully on the end of the ski rope! And you are dead right about the bottomless pit of owning a boat. I have a few friends who have boats and they all say it's not exactly recommended by financial advisors but they are great fun.

Snorkelling at Noarlunga is good fun but be warned, the water is absolutely freezing!! For us to go it has to be 37C or over and we always wear wet suits. I've heard that sharks don't like the taste of rubber!! (only joking!)