Gigs

Can anyone recommend any pubs for live gigs?:elvis:

Used to go to a few in Chatham and Maidstone but have been here a year and only been to 2, both at The Governor, Hindmarsh.

Saw a young Sydney band there a couple of months ago. They were good but virtually unheard of in Adelaide so only 20 people turned up.:unsure:

Saw Tony Hadley (ex Spandau Ballet) and Paul Young there last night. Great night and it was packed.:notworthy: Howard Jones is there in February so will be going to that.

Generally like rock and indie bands but still love 80’s stuff as well.

Will be grateful for any recommendations.:)

Guest michelleandrichard

hi ya been here 9 weeks and have been findng it hard pushed to find good live music.Found a free paper called rip it up magazine which you can get in record shops which has a gig list in it. The Vines are playing on the 7th but sold out,not sure if its like London and you get a miilon touts outside or not. The stray cats are playing in feb and the bigdayout is in jan with the Arctic Monkeys, prodigy and the ting tings,i am sure you know that.

The emu in morphett vale has tribute bads on a fiday,but i have yet to go down there so not sure what it is like. To be honest I don't know what anything is like as I haven't found someone with like minded taste to go giggin with yet. In London I have seen in the past year sex pistols, maximo park, kings of leon, buzzcocks, stiff little fingers and countless tribute bands in pubs and was really hoping to find similar things here. I am sure there is it is just finding them and going to the right places with the right people.

My OH and I went to gigs, both tribute bands and the real thing.

We have heard that the emu in Morphett Vale have tribute acts that are supposed to be decent, but as yet haven't looked at them yet.

We are finding tickets expensive here, don't know about all of you?

There have been a few concerts on that we have fancied but the cost has put us off, as the kids wanted to go too......sons favourite band is AC/DC and daughters is Warrant.....so we couldn't deny them a bit of rock!

But I'll watch this thread with interest to see what else comes out of it and maybe get my cousin to look after the kids and let us get out on our own for a gig.....Watch this space!!!

Guest SA Great
hi ya been here 9 weeks and have been findng it hard pushed to find good live music.Found a free paper called rip it up magazine which you can get in record shops which has a gig list in it. The Vines are playing on the 7th but sold out,not sure if its like London and you get a miilon touts outside or not. The stray cats are playing in feb and the bigdayout is in jan with the Arctic Monkeys, prodigy and the ting tings,i am sure you know that.

The emu in morphett vale has tribute bads on a fiday,but i have yet to go down there so not sure what it is like. To be honest I don't know what anything is like as I haven't found someone with like minded taste to go giggin with yet. In London I have seen in the past year sex pistols, maximo park, kings of leon, buzzcocks, stiff little fingers and countless tribute bands in pubs and was really hoping to find similar things here. I am sure there is it is just finding them and going to the right places with the right people.

Hi Guys,

Yes would definitely recommend the Big Day Out. I am going again this year. I am always the oldest there but who cares. It is a very long day and in 2006 it was 35C and sunny, they had spray tents set up so you could walk through them to cool off!!! A great day though. As for live bands, if anyone is into the blues then check out the Semaphore Workingmens Club on a Friday night. Really cheap and some real characters there. The Gov is always a good choice and as said earlier check out Rip It Up mag. Best venue for live bands is Thebarton Theatre, brilliant!!! Have seen several bands there including Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Crowded House, Simply Red, Pulp, Faithless, Massive Attack, Nick Cave the list goes on!!! The bigger bands usually go to the Entertainment Centre but I find it can sometimes lack some atmosphere. Having said that there have been some really good shows there too including Bjork, Cure, Snow Patrol, Pet Shop Boys, Groove Armada, Oasis and Coldplay (again!). Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We are coming out to Adelaide in early Feb & my OH is missing the Prodigy touring in spring over here, do you know when & where they are playing in Adelaide?

the bigdayout is in jan with the Arctic Monkeys, prodigy and the ting tings,i am sure you know that.

I'm amazed that progidy are playing the 2009 big day out as i saw them when they played the 1997 big day out!! Must like it !

Amazed that rip it up magazine is still going !

Also agree with SA Great that the Thebarton theatre is a great venue and the entertainment centre lacks atmosphere, although I saw the Stone Roses there and they were brilliant. Saw the Sex Pistols at the Thebbie back in 96 and it was fantastic. Looked like all the Brits had turned out, it was a great singalong. Adelaide used to have some really good but never famous bands, hope the tradition is still going strong.

An old friend of ours is in the Huckleberry Swedes, not sure what they are like, he swapped rock/punk for country which isn't really my scene!!

If you like world music (WOMAD) then Adelaide has Womadelaide.

Me again!

The Huckleberry Swedes (adelaide's best country/rock band) are playing

Robe Village Fair, 28th-29th November (weekend festival in Robe)

The Grace Emily, Waymouth St, Adelaide 30th November 8pm

For more info go to www.huckleberryswedes.com

Found this review of them on www.musicsa.com.au

"With their unique, alternative country sound – and taking inspiration from Tom Waits and Wilco – Huckleberry Swedes are a deft live act; renowned for playing with empathy and dynamics but also capable of rocking out. In 2006 they released their debut EP, Hair Trigger, and toured the country with Bill Chambers. They are now putting the finishing touches to their latest album, recorded with Jim Moginie (Midnight Oil) and due for release later this year."

Guest graandjac

:)If you see a band called the Hairy Lemons playing they are well worth a look , we saw them at the Sea and Vines festival and then by chance one night in Meldourne street in North Adelaide, young band who do mainly covers but VERY VERY good and i know they do a regular slot .Hi Guys,

Yes would definitely recommend the Big Day Out. I am going again this year. I am always the oldest there but who cares. It is a very long day and in 2006 it was 35C and sunny, they had spray tents set up so you could walk through them to cool off!!! A great day though. As for live bands, if anyone is into the blues then check out the Semaphore Workingmens Club on a Friday night. Really cheap and some real characters there. The Gov is always a good choice and as said earlier check out Rip It Up mag. Best venue for live bands is Thebarton Theatre, brilliant!!! Have seen several bands there including Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Crowded House, Simply Red, Pulp, Faithless, Massive Attack, Nick Cave the list goes on!!! The bigger bands usually go to the Entertainment Centre but I find it can sometimes lack some atmosphere. Having said that there have been some really good shows there too including Bjork, Cure, Snow Patrol, Pet Shop Boys, Groove Armada, Oasis and Coldplay (again!). Good luck!! .....now SA great thats an impressive list

user_offline.gifreport.gif

Guest graandjac
gutted

:( oh well maybe that calls for a weekend in melbourne?

Have to agree with you there Clare, we will be going all out for coldplay tickets....................on our wish list big time

Guest SA Great

Bloody hell.....we miss out AGAIN on Coldplay. They missed Adelaide on their second tour as well. Rod Laver arena in Melbourne it is then!!! I wonder if Keane will ever come to Oz?

Guest SA Great
gonna be a hell of an expensive gig, tickets are$140 plus flights and accomodation looking at $500 for one person :err:, bloody hell i might just cry :arghh:

Yeah I know....works out a bit expensive. Tiger airlines do flights to Melbourne for around $50 one way, so flights plus ticket plus accomodation is around $400 each.

Their last concert in Adelaide (X&Y Tour at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre) was brilliant but I'm not sure if it was $400 brilliant!!!

There was a petition on AdelaideNow re getting Coldplay to come here. I know it had 1000 names on day 1 but haven't seen whats happened since then.

We won't be going to Melbourne to see them due to finances. So we are getting tickets to see one of our old 80's favourites, Howard Jones, at The Guv Hindmarsh in Feb instead.

Walked past The Guv at Hindmarsh tonight (on the way back from watching Adelaide Utd win 6-1) and whoever C W Stoneking may be, he'd sold the place out. He was on in the main venue and a country band also seemed pretty popular in the front bar. Really liked this venue the other week and will check out some local acts there.

Thanks for the recommendations re The Emu Bar, will be going there soon too.