african mynah birds,(i think?)

sueoc

i thought the british magpie was evil till i saw and heard these predators!They seem to be taking over where i am,in the first week here i witnessed them ganging up on a lone small pied bird and butchering it,then in my garden the same fate was dished out to a lovely female blackbird,i wonder if the SA Gov is concerned?ive been told by several locals that they are decimating the bird population in Adelaide,strange how its not in the papers.

sounds like the magpie..................must be coming into breeding season:D. Beware all newbies, once theyve got eggs...........they will protect them. They WILL dive bomb you if you are in the way:D and have a little peck.

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

I wonder if its this bird you mean :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoobru/2968984646/

If so then its the Red Wattlebird ( Anthochaera Carunculata) and they are very very terrotorial, we have some in our garden and are forever attacking 'Pinky & Perky' our local gallahs as they feed and have been known to divebomb next doors dogs, even more so with young in the nest but as Gra points out thats nature for you.

:)

You may think im jesting:biglaugh:, but ask any postie............they are warned every year:)

there are signs up near the river along king william street warning people about the magpie larks attacking people, it says protect yourselfs with your arms or umbrella but don't throw anything at them as it will make them more angry !

Simon

My husband reliably informs me it is the Common Indian Myna bird.

I found this article from 2004 which says "The myna bird has been declared the second greatest threat to native birds after land clearing."

So the problem has been around for awhile.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/04/08/2044900.htm?site=science/scribblygum

My husband reliably informs me it is the Common Indian Myna bird.

I found this article from 2004 which says "The myna bird has been declared the second greatest threat to native birds after land clearing."

So the problem has been around for awhile.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/04/08/2044900.htm?site=science/scribblygum

Better get the .22 air rifle out...............Asta La Vista Baby :policeman: