Glenelg (with photos)

Moosh

Guest Keel

Thanks for the photos Moosh.Its so nice seeing pictures of places we want to go.Where would you get that in the Uk?? No where.PLease keep them coming:)

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest billy173safc

The best named boat i saw in the marina when we were in Adelaide was " She Got The House ". Now there's a man with a sense of humour.

• 4 months later...

Oh I just love Glenelg. I remeber when we were there, a couple we met who lived in Northfield (just off main North road) had their honeymoon there!!

Just can't imagine anywhere in the UK where you would want to take a holiday just down the road from where you live! :)

Lovely pics

Lucy x

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Jamie&Carrie

I love Glenelg but sometimes can be to 'touristy'. For those who are new to Adelaide try the beaches north and south of Glenelg.

Brighton/Henley are two of my favs.

If you just want a scenic view and the possibility of seeing sealions/dolphins then there is always Hallett Cove. All you lucky people who have huge houses on the shoreline and beachfront...I hate you! LOL! :P

th_100_0592.jpg

The Oaks Hotel, Glenelg and beach

As an old-timer who first visited Glenelg back in 1992 and who used to live there, I must say my heart sinks whenever I see this view of what Glenelg looks like now.

There has been so much over-development and I have watched it progress with each visit back over the last 11 years and it really is so sad what they have done. These buildings are just plain ugly, it could be Beirut or anywhere in the world, it has no individuality at all. There used to be Norfolk Island pines, the Surf Club, open grassy spaces, a car park, Magic Mountian (OK that was a bit naff), old fashioned (and slightly run-down) sideshows and the ferris wheel which was lit up with lights which you could see for miles along the coast on a summers evening.

Glenelg is a lovely place but so much of it's charm has been lost. The beaches to the north of the jetty looked really poor on my last visit, and the north esplanade beach (where I used to live) had half disappeared!!!

Call it progress !! I must be getting old - rant over !!!! :realmad::sad:

I love going to Glenelg, but tend to find it gets too busy. We had a great day surfing and bodyboarding with about 5 other families down at Aldinga beach the other day. You can drive your car onto the beach, and pitch up nearish the water. Ice cream van travels back and forth along the beach. There was even a wedding on the beach at the time. So as nice and pretty as Glenelg is, don't get into the habit of thinking it's the only beach out there, get out and about and you will find some fantastic, less crowded beaches all over this beautiful state.

Guest happy feet

only been here 3 days, have no car yet, but managed to find the tram and went down to Glenelg yesterday with the kids. We thought it was lovey and the kids had a great time, however as it's the only beach we have seen can't compare. still finding our feet, hoping to get a car in the next few days and can then drive along the coast ...

cara

I really like glenelg but its so busy in summer. Most of my patient load is there and parking is a nightmare. Oddly enough the district nurses had never thought of asking the council for a parking permit:biglaugh:, which we now have. Its lovely down by the waterfront but parts i find are very smelly from the sewage outlet pipe that runs into the sea there.

I guess im lucky as i get to sit on the esplanade and eat my butties there at dinner time :)

It reminds me of Manly in Sydney, its lovely but I wouldnt want to live there, too busy, although my friends who are single with no kiddies think its the best place in the world. I guess it depends on what you want but I can't wait to be able to visit it whenever I like. Oh, to eat my sarnies on the beach rather than in the snow! Time just isnt going quick enough

Guest SA Great
Here are some photos of what Glenelg used to look like before they did all the development north of the jetty. Note there are lots of trees, in the 1994 pic the Grand is the only big building.

I'm sorry Anne but I so disagree with you. I arrived in 1991 and was really disappointed with Glenelg, although the beach itself was really good. There was a car park at the end of Anzac Hwy covered in graffiti and full of hoons, and I thought it was quite dead. Since the building there is now a brilliant marina with great restaurants,heaps of things to do, bars and pubs galore etc. Just my opinion of course but I think it's heaps better than it used to be.

• 2 months later...
Guest fluffy1984

This sounds like my kind of place. Looking daily on domain.com.au at places to rent (even though we haven't even lodged our visa app yet) :)

Thanks for all the pics and comments on the area. I love Manly in Sydney so i think this will be the perfect place to start with.

Have a nice day y'all xxx