christmas day in adelaide

Guest ecmiller72

Guest ecmiller72

hello

we'll be in adelaide on xmas day and looking for something to do. We were thinking of heading to Glenelg, apparently the trams from the CBD still run. Anyway just wondering if anyone knew what it would be like there on xmas day? packed? deserted? anyone know if everything will be shut? will the beach be full of people having bbq's or is this an urban myth ? any tips appreciated..

I lived in Glenelg over 10 years ago, and things may have changed, but the beach used to be deserted (especially on the North Esplanade where we lived).

No evidence of people having BBQs on the beach (I think you have to go to Bondi for that).

One Christmas morning we went for a swim and there was hardly a soul in sight.

Pubs are only open between 9am and 11am on Christmas Day.

Weather hasn't been great over the last 3 years on Christmas Day but it depends on what temperatures you like for the beach. Hopefully it will be nicer this year.

We're going to the Gold Coast for Christmas this year.

Guest Rob and Clare
Pubs are only open between 9am and 11am on Christmas Day.

Weather hasn't been great over the last 3 years on Christmas Day but it depends on what temperatures you like for the beach. Hopefully it will be nicer this year.

We're going to the Gold Coast for Christmas this year.

We went to the sunshine coast last christmas and it rained every day, and not just a little, but heavy rain, in the end we cut short the holiday and came back, so I hope you have heaps more luck. For the time we were there though we had a good time, just had to wear a poncho everywhere...

As Moosh as said the previous 2 christmas's in Adelaide has been pretty cool for the weather, so this year we're trying the York Penisula..

As for Christmas day in Adelaide I think it's as quiet as any other western city, people tend to see family and friends rather than go out.

If I remember right, it was 27°C on Christmas day last year. Certainly warm enough for the Poms, although maybe not for the Aussies :) We did the whole BBQ on the beach thing at Moana and it was great (after all, we did have surf boards and kayaks to Christen). Even better, I got the photos uploaded and sent back to the UK for them on UK Christmas Morning...

Guest rockpool crab
Quite a few of us headed to the beach last year on Christmas morning and several brought bbq's and esky's. We'll be going again this year but we'll go to Port Noarlunga again rather than Glenelg. Feel free to join us!:cute:

Hi there,

We'll be arriving on 23rd Dec. and are really keen to have xmas day on the beach. The BBQ and ..erm..esky's...sounds great. Hopefully we'll see you there at Port Noarlunga.

Happy days..Carol Ann

PS...4 of us, two boys 17 and 12 so if any kids going the same age (ish) that'd be brill..some early "new mates" :-)

Guest Alipally

Esky is a cool box.... only Bigger!

I have a lad of 16 and typical of the age! Hoping to get to the beach in the morning, but we're defo planning a Turkey dinner... all be it cooked on the Weber! (Kettle BBQ)

Good luck with the move!

Hi there,

We'll be arriving on 23rd Dec. and are really keen to have xmas day on the beach. The BBQ and ..erm..esky's...sounds great. Hopefully we'll see you there at Port Noarlunga.

Happy days..Carol Ann

PS...4 of us, two boys 17 and 12 so if any kids going the same age (ish) that'd be brill..some early "new mates" :-)

I reckon you'll be spending most of Christmas Day asleep! If you do manage to drag yourseves from your bed then of course, you're welcome to join the gang as well!

Afraid our kids might be just a BIT young to be of any use to your boys as they're only 4 and 3 but if they're into ballet or Roary the Racing car there might be a friendship to be made!:biglaugh:

Guest ecmiller72

dear all

many thanks for the replies especially the kind invite

unfortunately we dont have transport

so hopefully we wont be the only ones in glenelg

sounds like some places could be open

thanks again

Guest rockpool crab
I reckon you'll be spending most of Christmas Day asleep! If you do manage to drag yourseves from your bed then of course, you're welcome to join the gang as well!

Afraid our kids might be just a BIT young to be of any use to your boys as they're only 4 and 3 but if they're into ballet or Roary the Racing car there might be a friendship to be made!:biglaugh:

ROFL...I reckon you're right..xmas day sleeping!....here....that sounds spookily familiar but it's usually after dinner the sleeping happens.

Well...what can I say...I reckon adrenaline will keep us going. We'll defo make our best effort to be there. I'm curious as to what to bring though? Shrimp always sounds like an ozzy favourite bbq delicacy. Should we bring like a disposable bbq or are there public ones at the beach, or maybe we should splash out and buy ourselves one :-) wee xmas present from santa :cool: