anyone been to mount gambier??

Guest sunchaser

Guest sunchaser

hi guys have been in adelaide now for 2 months(christies beach)and loving it ,kids settled in and made plenty of friends,joined cricket club(port noarlunga).Am thinking of heading off into the wilderness of mount gambier for a year or so with 3 young kids it looks great and all the locals i speak to say its a great place for a holiday but would be very grateful of any feedback from any poms that have visited/lived there:notworthy: many thanks , matt

Visited a couple of weeks ago, it is classed as a city I beleive and has all the facilities you could want in terms of a hospital, all the bigger name shops etc. but is pretty compact which is a good thing. It certainly looked nice enough. I suppose it depends what you are looking for, where you have come from and what you are used to.

For me, I think it would feel a bit too isolated, and a bit too quiet, you are a pretty long drive from anywhere else significant.

It is a fair bit cooler down there than in Adelaide, I would certainly take the 5½ hour drive down there, make a long weekend of it and take a look around and see what you think.

Guest Rob and Clare

It's a nice little town, with a lake that turns blue in the summer and some potholes. Certainly worth seeing but beyond that it depends on what you want to do.

As foxychick as said it's quite cool down there, only slightly warmer than London on average, and also wetter.

We headed down there in January for a long weekend based in Milicent. Only spent a day there, but Mt Gambier was easy enough to get round, and pretty self sufficient in terms of facilities. As you'll see from the weather forecasts, it's usually a few degrees cooler down there than Adelaide. The beaches down there are much more rugged, although a relatively short trip up the coast brings Kingston and Robe onto the radar and both have beautiful "kids" beaches.

Summer is a good time for a visit as the lake turns cobalt - even on a cloudy day (when we went), the effect was quite stunning.

Not sure what the job prospects are like, but in terms of industry you're in farming, forestry, paper and wine territory.

If you don't fancy the drive (it is a nice drive - especially if you can break it up and take in the scenery), Rex fly there.

Guest sunchaser

thanks for the info :) havent had any joy with work in adelaide,hardly even a reply and our landlord is selling two months into a 6 month lease so these factors have made my mind up 2 up sticks and try mt gambier for a year or so,have lived in rural sussex and before that the welsh mountains so isolation not an issue just a bit worried about kids not settling in but hey ho you get out of life what u put in and if you dont try these places u never know thanks again;)if anyones in mt gambier in the future look me up kindest regards matt x

Guest familygood

We stayed in Mt Gambier for a while on our trip round Oz and really loved the place. The nearby beaches of Robe etc are wonderful and the town itself is small but has eveything you need. Its a place we may well go for once we are over there but will try Adelaide first. Its very typically Australian and very friendly. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest Fancy a Beer
hi guys have been in adelaide now for 2 months(christies beach)and loving it ,kids settled in and made plenty of friends,joined cricket club(port noarlunga).Am thinking of heading off into the wilderness of mount gambier for a year or so with 3 young kids it looks great and all the locals i speak to say its a great place for a holiday but would be very grateful of any feedback from any poms that have visited/lived there:notworthy: many thanks , matt

Everyone likes different places and we hated it! Stayed there twice (second time not out of choice) and it rained the whole time both stays!! Just felt it was a bit boring and nothing much going on, even for us and we like quiet!! Loved the Caves though that was the only positive we came up with!?!!?

One of our best mates here in Oz is from there and she raves about it all the time and is always back and forward seeing family etc, but I would say its a go take a look and see place before you make any definate move!!