Four legged friends?

Guest cazzie

Hi,

Just wondered what dog lovers' thought of the amount of dogs on the beaches here, particularly Seacliff/Brighton beaches. We were disgusted to see a guy walking his dog on Seacliff beach and not picking up after it had done its business. I was fuming and wished that I had confronted him now. Most dog walkers do have the obligatory plastic bags and do clean up after their dogs, but not all. How can a dog owner not take this responsibility seriously, especially on a beach?

At Coolangatta beach in the Gold Coast - a beautiful beach - there are no dogs allowed at all and that was great for us dogless folk as no-one defied the notice. It seems though that people here don't take much notice of the signs at the beach stating the times that dogs are allowed etc. Any views on this subject would be appreciated.

Cheers.

PS I do like dogs, but not their mess!

Guest Guest75

We are dog owners ( 3 Bedlington Terriers of the insane variety).

We are responsible and do take the poo bags on walks.

It annoys us as well when people do not clear up.

A lot of beaches here are dog walking beaches,some you can have the dogs off the lead.

On Sat Arvo I was fishing (well practising casting) at Christies Beach near the boat ramp.Loads of dogs there as it is a "dog" beach.

One large dog came near me and had a dump righ on the surf line - the owner looked and I knew he though - "Well it will be washed away"

2 ticks later I looked down to the sight of warm dog turd washing around my feet - grrr!!!:mad:

I think the majority are responsible.

Guest Martin and Val

We have a wonderful little Border Collie who we take to the beach almost every evening for a walk. She loves it and now even knows the word beach as well as walkies. We keep her on a lead at all times and always clear up after her.

The other day Val actually cleaned up after somebody else's dog!

Did you know that an owner can be fined for not carrying the means to clean up after his/her dog even if the dog doesn't do any business?

The dog must also have it's council ID tag on its collar when ever it is out.

We get annoyed when we are on the beach and people let their dogs free as our little Megan is fantastic with people but she isn't very tolerant of other dogs so we are always on the look out for the loose one that may stray toward her.

In all fairness we have only seen the one mess left behind by somebody else's dog which as I say Val cleared away but we do wish that everybody kept theirs on leads.

If you see somebody leave the mess, tell them, I'm certain the embarrassment they will feel will make them think twice next time.

Thanks Martin, I think I will say something next time as it's just so unfair on everyone else. It's great that most dog owners do the right thing - good on you guys! Shame about the frisby - oh it turns my stomach!

Guest Jo&Phil

We have a Great Dane (Cooper) - it's pretty obvious if WE don't pick up after him! Most people do I think which makes it all the more annoying when people don't!

For those with children, dogs can be off lead at certain times of the day/year but still should be under control - so if you're kids are a bit nervous I would suggest calling out to the owner asking them to call their dog. Most responsible people would be respectful and considerate.

I would much rather someone asked me if they could pat my dog rather than assume it's safe to do so ..........it's very safe to do as he's very placid and loves everyone ............but lots of parents let their kids rush up to us without checking.

Cooper is always on a lead on the beach because he's a) huge and b) likely to find everyone and anything more interesting than me so c) make me look like an idiot chasing up the beach after him while he practices selective deafness. :D

MY little dog rarely poos away from home, and we do clean it up if she does it, but I do wish she'd stop claiming every other dogs poo as hers by walking up to it and doing the feet wiping on the grass thingy dogs do. I just know that one day someone will think my dog has done a poo, but it's not really hers, she just wants the glory of someone elses work!

I'm just as annoyed as you Cazzie when I see it happening on the beach. When I walk my dog I tie at least 2 or more bags on her lead, as her being a lab, she usually has two bites of the cherry, so to speak.

Last week, a woman totally ignored her dogs business (the dog was behind her somewhat, off the lead), so I caught her up and gave her one of my bags. She seemed a little taken back at my directness but then seemed embarrased that she'd hadn't noticed. :embarrassed:

Hopefully she'll pay more attention to her dog next time and not what's on her Ipod.

(and bring a poo bag on a walk!!!!) :mad:

J x

We never take Trev out without his poo bags! He is only allowed off the lead down at Christies Beach, near the boat ramps where Tyke was fishing. He is a border collie pup and has masses of energy, so letting him off the lead to run up and down the beach a thousand times is great! Most people know that it's a "dog" beach so there's never many children around there. Weirdly, we have seen poo bags dotted along the beach occasionally, as though someone has bagged up the mess but couldn't be bothered to throw it in the bin!

I can't abide dog mess, often the girls walk out of school here and it's on the pavements outside school. Don't know whether I'd approach someone here if their dog had pooped, quite like my face the way it is !! Is it different in Oz, I hope so.

Guest MR&MRSC

I am sure the more people who did or did not own dogs embarrassed the poop offenders (the owners!), the more they might bother and in time you may see a difference.

Further, and I am not sure, it is a health risk to babies and children with there eye sight. Maybe a nurse or two on the forum could confirm or disprove this? :shocked:

Guest Nicky&Andy

i think its such a shame, when owners dont clear up after their dogs, for us , our dog is a big part of our lives and the boys lives, on holiday in cornwall we could hardly find a beach to take the dog, so no family time on the beach,

the biggest shame is if dog owners are not responsable, then a beach, dog ban will be enforced, which would be a real shame.

my dogs a great dane cross, and i think he enjoys going as many times as he can, just so he can laugh at me picking it all up:biglaugh: (sorry too much info)

There is one thing though, its always ME who has to pick it up , although my oldest son will if he,s out with sam on his own (well trained)

We've also picked up other people's mess a couple of times, annoying, but I'd rather clear it up than have to look at it. Doggy bags in every pocket most of the time.

Our greyhound is never off the lead except in one of the local doggy parks when it's empty. He also has to wear a muzzle by law here as we brought him over and he was a bit too old to start going through the Aussie GAP (Greyhound Adoption Program) which they have to do here to not wear a muzzle. He is great with kids and has been responsible for both my nieces being largely cured of their fear of dogs. It's a shame in a way coz people see the muzzle and think he's dangerous, and often tell their kids to steer clear. He isn't great with other dogs, hence why he stays on the lead.

I just want to say to Val and others who pick up the mess of dogs who are not their own - I am amazed by this and salute you. There is just no way that I could do this (it just makes me feel sick!) but you are so responsible and considerate, you deserve medals. I for one, am grateful. Cheers.