8hrs from Glenelg to Henley Beach, must have been walking on one hand backwards, maybe you were dreaming and thought you were on the M25, that takes 8 hrs to travel 7Km, not to be rude if you thought Adelaide or even Aus was like the UK then you have not done your research, its not like the UK and never will be no matter how much some of the PIA members want it to be or try to change our way of life.
You should wake up and embrace the diffrence, be glad you have made the move and forget the way of life and the UK pub, your here now and if you give it a go you may like it.
8hrs to walk form Glenelg to Henley me thinks he must have found loads of drinking establishments on the way to take that long;).
Seriously though there is not a lot of bar life on the esplanade so to speak, it is more on the verticle to the beach rds, maybe he walked along the sea front all the way! It still wouldnt have taken him 8 hrs.
And whoever said Adl is not like the UK, they are right, its not and there is no point coming here and hoping to re-create your UK life!
......and here I was thinking you were re-creating Little Britain in Hallett Cove!
Originally Posted by sarahsmartiepants
Last edited by Jessica Berry; 24-01-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Dont know where you live, but have you not noticed the whole of ADL is little Britain!
Originally Posted by Jessica Berry
And, no Im not re creating it I left it way behind nearly 3 yrs ago now!
Another ignorant post.....................look at the population by suburbs and find the highest %age of Brits. You may be surprised;)
Originally Posted by Jessica Berry
I would be interested to read that information, can you supply a link please.
Originally Posted by smit
Originally Posted by mittu
One would be mistaken for thinking the heat had got to some rather snappy posters! Although some points are very valid!
For a young single Male I would of said Adelaide would of been the last place for him to head to! Melbourne or Sydney would be more appropriate! Did he do no research before moving here, would of quickly become apparent to him if he had!
Adelaide has much to offer many, find it funny that so many think that simply arriving everything will slot into place within days, we have been here 2 years and I would say it is only now that 85% is as we want it to be, the next 12 months will sort the remaining 15% out!!
As for Hallet Cove being Little Britain who cares if it is, we are in Greenwith/Golden Grove and I hear many english accents on a regular basis. I think reading threads on here there are alot of "followers", but you cant take it away from everyone here you have to have some sort of balls to get here in the first place, if people wanna follow the masses rather than research properly, good luck to them I say!!
Last edited by Fancy a Beer; 25-01-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Reason: OOps forgot a bit!
Well said Tyke, I find it qiute annoying that people come here and search out a life that is a replica of what they had in UK. The UK is the UK and it has many good points as well as bad. Surely the idea of emigrating is to live a different life. Try different foods, get a boat, go to the footy (AFL) and just try different things that you can't do in the UK. If you embrace Aussie life then you will fit in a lot better.
I have been here nearly 18 years and still miss the Speedway and the music, however, I feel I have more than compensated for it by enjoying the different things Adelaide has to offer.
As for the 8 hour trek from Glenelg to Henley, hmm you must have gone via the city centre!!!! lol
After reading all the posts from this thread (way back from 2007!) as I am a youngish (33) male I was wondering if you had a theatre in Adelaide that puts on Musicals? Also is it expensive to get a return flight to Sydney?
I am not into heavy pub going and don't want to hold onto the uk way of life, I don't see the point of moving if thats what some want..they should go to Spain instead LOL .
I have read up on the weather in Melbourne LOL...having said that Does the place have a better Summer than the uk?