Sea Swimming

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

After reading your threads about the current heat wave I see that some of you jammy beggars have been swimming in the sea. Is this really ok or are there nasties in there that you have to beware of?

I really love the sea but with all the programmes about box head jellyfish and blue ringed octopus I am scared half to death now!!

Any info would be great as a quick dip in the sea is my first stop when I get off the plane next month

Mandy

Hi Guys

After reading your threads about the current heat wave I see that some of you jammy beggars have been swimming in the sea. Is this really ok or are there nasties in there that you have to beware of?

I really love the sea but with all the programmes about box head jellyfish and blue ringed octopus I am scared half to death now!!

Any info would be great as a quick dip in the sea is my first stop when I get off the plane next month

Mandy

Honestly nothing to worry about, generally the blue ringed octopus is found in rock pools so just need to be aware, You just need to be aware and its handy knowing a bit of first aid just in case.

You got just as much chance of being run over than anything happening in the sea. Dont worry honest

Thanks Ian, put my mind at rest a bit. these shows on telly make out that you will probably die from a quick dip in the ocean!

Now from what im told if you was going to Queesland thats a different story:biglaugh:

The guy who took us at a First aid course last week said everyone in queensland a nutter because they swim in the sea!:D

Guest katsmajic

I had a wonderful break from work today swimming in the sea...its fab - we had dolphins swimming about 20/30meters away from us too.

Pay attention to your surroundings and be observant etc for rips/big waves and you'll be fine...and thats coming from a mum whos been through the blue ringed octopus horrors!

Now from what im told if you was going to Queesland thats a different story:biglaugh:

The guy who took us at a First aid course last week said everyone in queensland a nutter because they swim in the sea!:D

The box Jellyfish is apparently only seen in Northern Australian waters, and only in summer - so North Queensland, Northern Territory etc. Yes, you would be crazy to swim in those waters in summer. I have heard a story about someone being stung and unconscious through toxic shock, but still screaming with the pain!

However, the Gold Coast is perfectly safe.

As for the first aid course, the people at Cazzie's first aid course said they would never swim in the waters off Adelaide because of the fear of sharks. Woosie Australians!

PS Just back from a sunset swim at Seacliff with Cazzie. Lovely, except she has some sea lice stings!

Oooooh Bill, you have just shattered my illusion now! What on earth are sea lice and what effect do the stings have?

Well, I'd never heard of them until last week, when my Aussie work colleague told me they were probably the cause of minor irritation I have felt when swimming in the sea in hot weather, rather than the little transparent jellyfish, often seen on the beach at Brighton/Seacliff, which I used to blame.

Here's what I have just dug up from Google:

"Sea Lice"

This is a "loose" term applied to minor skin stings occurring almost any time or any place whilst swimming in the sea. An actual sea creature or jellyfish does not cause the stings, but fine netting of the water and the use of a face mask at these times has shown a number of possible culprits, including:-

tri-orange.gifSmall jelly-like creatures such as Hydroids, Salps and Ctenophores ("sea gooseberries" and "comb jellies").

tri-orange.gifSmall, broken-off jellyfish tentacles.

tri-orange.gifGlaucus - a small creature that was found in the water on one occasion after a large number of minor stings. This tiny mollusc eats jellyfish tentacles and uses them to sting its own prey!

Don't let it put you off - I think it's a bit like having an ant bite and is usually gone in an hour at most.

Guest ReadyPenny

Well thanks for that! Am really looking forward to the move, I suppose I will have to get used to the "threats" out there and respect them and their environment! After all I am the immigrant LOL

Guest caoimhe

Well our 1st day on the beach was before Christmas. My kids and 'Irish Kelies' kids were playing about having a lovely time when the helicopter came flying over and the life guards began running up and down yelling to get out of the water. They had spotted a shark. :elvis:

The worst part was when I thought I had spotted another one, PIA's Massive was there and agreed she had seen it too but we were told by the teenage life guard that it was a dolphin:embarrassed: boy did we feel c**p:biglaugh:

Hasn't put us off but made me very cautious.

I lived on the North Esplanade at Glenelg for 2 years and whenever it was hot enough I would get home from work and go straight for a swim (only had to cross the road to get to the beach!). Only once did I have a problem, got some mild stings on my arms and legs and put it down to sea lice or something similar. The stings lasted for a week or so but weren't as bad as being devoured by mozzies!. Late in the summer there sometimes was a lot of seaweed which made it a bit less pleasant, but generally it was lovely.

Oooooh Bill, you have just shattered my illusion now! What on earth are sea lice and what effect do the stings have?

Hi Mandy,

Nothing to worry about. I was swimming around and I suddenly felt pins and needles shooting up my right arm. It was a strange prickly sensation whenever I swam a stroke. Out of the water,it continued and this morning, I can still feel the tingling sensation, but much less so. I do have a puncture in my arm, so have definitely beein bitten or stung by something in the water.

However, we went swimming first thing this morning, so it hasn't put me off!

Good luck with the journey next month.

Guest ReadyPenny

Cheers Cazzie, your words are much more reassuring than your hubby's (no offence Bill! LOL)

I am just soft, I hate anything that bites, stings or looks at me the wrong way!! I need to toughen up. I hope you are enjoying/enduring the heatwave, I am freezing my bits off and it's pouring with rain!! No change there then

Mandy