Tae Kwondo classes

niknjas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mantis88

My 2 girls are both black belts in the UK . But none of the clubs weve been to will recognise there grades and want them to start again! So regretably it looks like they are gonna give it up!

My 2 girls are both black belts in the UK . But none of the clubs weve been to will recognise there grades and want them to start again! So regretably it looks like they are gonna give it up!

That's nothing new.

DFInd ut when the local inter club contest is taking place and enter them under their old uk club name and see where it goes.

You might not like what I'm about to say so please please please don't take this the wrong way.

This could well be a 'humility about the art' type of thing. I was a first dan in a style of karate in Adelaide. I had been training (very very hard) for five years to achieve this. When I came to the UK and was looking for clubs every club I went to I wore my white belt (I didn't even bring my black belt with me). I haven't trained for 8 years and if I went back to training now I would wear a white belt. This is because, as a karate-ka, you are meant to be humble about the sport. Achieving your first dan is acknowledgement that you have a knowledge of the basics. If you try out another style (or another club) then you cannot assume you know the basics there. That is just my opinion and more or less what was instilled in us with our training.

Having said that, it's really easy to accept when you're an adult and very focussed on the sport. Less easy when you are a child (you don't say how old your daughters are). It's quite likely that your girls would progress more rapidly through the grades than usual - I know some people in my club had taken breaks from training (say, a year off) and came back as white belts and either graded very quickly or were told they could wear their old belt after a few months.

Perhaps you could discuss grading flexibility with a potential instructor, or encourage your girls to take up a slightly different style of martial art so they won't feel as though their achievement has been belittled. If you think they might be interested in karate, for example, I know quite a lot of instructors and would be happy to ask around for suggestions of something local to you.

You might not like what I'm about to say so please please please don't take this the wrong way.

This could well be a 'humility about the art' type of thing. I was a first dan in a style of karate in Adelaide. I had been training (very very hard) for five years to achieve this. When I came to the UK and was looking for clubs every club I went to I wore my white belt (I didn't even bring my black belt with me). I haven't trained for 8 years and if I went back to training now I would wear a white belt. This is because, as a karate-ka, you are meant to be humble about the sport. Achieving your first dan is acknowledgement that you have a knowledge of the basics. If you try out another style (or another club) then you cannot assume you know the basics there. That is just my opinion and more or less what was instilled in us with our training.

Having said that, it's really easy to accept when you're an adult and very focussed on the sport. Less easy when you are a child (you don't say how old your daughters are). It's quite likely that your girls would progress more rapidly through the grades than usual - I know some people in my club had taken breaks from training (say, a year off) and came back as white belts and either graded very quickly or were told they could wear their old belt after a few months.

Perhaps you could discuss grading flexibility with a potential instructor, or encourage your girls to take up a slightly different style of martial art so they won't feel as though their achievement has been belittled. If you think they might be interested in karate, for example, I know quite a lot of instructors and would be happy to ask around for suggestions of something local to you.

I totally understand where you are coming from, as a rule of thumb at the club we trained at in the UK, if you had came from a different club or hadn't been training for 1 year + then, you could only where your current grade belt, once you had proved you were worthy of wearing it. My instructor would put any person in this situation through their grading, but they had to do this from white to their current grade in order for them to be wearing the belt they held, if they failed he put them back to where he deemed they merited based on the outcome of their grading.

So I think anybody who has had any experience in martial arts of any sort will relate to this, it may not be what they want to hear but will be able to fully understand the reason.

And in my opinion it would just make it all the sweeter when you got to where your hard earned belt again.

I used to do Karate in the UK and have thought about finding a class here....mainly for fitness reasons (too many beer and bbqs..hahaha)

If anyone knows any clubs would be happy to go and see what goes on there?

Dan

Dan - I'll ask my karate mates for some suggestions. Also - we will be lobbing into Brighton at the end of April so will no doubt see you around at Marion or something! :)

Guest Chelseadownunder

Hi Guys

Our son age 12 goes to Karate classes most days of the week around South Road / Christies Beach. Great teachers & good atmosphere.

Scott UK

IFA in the UK Financial Adviser Here.

Guest Chelseadownunder

Our son went to a grading today. Some guy was there I think he was 6 dan from Japan who grading. It seems they do it pretty frequently and you can move up the grades quite quickly if you have the skills

Scott Uk

Hi - I have been on to some karate people and around the Oaklands Park area they have come up with the following suggestions:

Yu Ki Do - based at Brighton Primary School (also a dojo in Happy Valley) - http://www.yukido.org - the recommendation was that this is probably good for beginners or if you are not wanting to be too committed/do a traditional style etc

Ho Shin Do - http://www.hoshindo.net - the classes are at Stonyfell (St Peter's Girls' School) - Goju

Adelaide Uni Karate Club - http://www.aukc.com.au - classes at Norwood Primary School and Adelaide Uni - this was recommended for the experienced - Goju again

JKA - at the Holdfast Bay Community Centre on King George Ave - http://www.jkasa-honbu.com.au/adelaidemetro/ - they have other classes (Highbury, Clovelly Park, Camden - even Fleurieu etc) and this is Shotokan

I hope this info is of use to some people! The person who gave me these details is very serious about his karate (he teaches at Ho Shin Do and trains at Adelaide Uni and he has trained in Japan).