First spider encounter.....shiver

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

We were out of the car for approximately 15 minutes today but had left two car doors open just to keep air circulating through the car as you know what it's like getting back into it a the moment...soooooooooooooooooooooo...we came back to the car to find THIS ..does anyone know what it is?

firstspider.jpg

on the open drivers door....aaaaargh...probably nothing in comparison to what you can see here but it's our first BIG spider..lol..and andrew flicked it off with a newspaper and man did it run.....jeez they're fast. We'll that was it ..I just felt that the car was alive after that..lol..every wee thing that I felt..plus our Michael in the back seat pretending to tickle my shoulder most definitely didn't help..lol.

I guess just need to get used to it..but this will be our new long term rental and quite frankly already I'm not keen on gardening at the front of the house..not unless I blow torch all shrubbery and undergrowth first..but kinda defeats the purpose eh!

Our Kieran had his first day at school and I thought he looked just fab in his gear..they are so laid back here..just loving the casualness. He had an absolute ball (it was just what he needed) and has made 6 friends he said..he's jumping about the kitchen at the mo helping his dad make dinner and he's just sooooooooo happy..it's such a relief..so glad we stuck him on today as he'll not worry all weekend now!..result.

Here he is in front of one of "Tyke's" fruit tree's (Seaford Rise..beautiful rental..thoroughly recommend it).

kieransfirstdayatschool.jpg

We've had a good day today. Michael went on a trial for a job and seems to have done really well. I "might" have an interview on Monday if not Tuesay, and there's a wee bit of hope for Andrew for "carer" work. Fingers crossed it all works out as we love it here big time.

Right...dinners out...mustn't spoil it by typing.

Catch you all later

Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
If it moved like jackie chan, its defo a huntsman....

It does resemble a wolf spider but I don't think they move as quick... :elvis:

ROFL..well it was waaaaaaaaay quick for my liking so guess it was a huntsman (as cornish said..reckon it was a baby)..which does scare me if that was the baby. Can they bite you though?..I reckon it's not poisonous if they can eh? or think I'd have seen that mentioned on here.

my oh my..and people actively encourage this species to keep the house spider free...eek..can't imagine it....lol..but hey..when in Rome ...cough..I mean Australia. We certainly didn't kill it...so hopefully it'll grow up to be our little helper..rofl.

Cheers for the good wishes about Kieran..he was honestly sooooo happy today..long may it continue!..sure as soon as he gets homework this reign will end...:cute:

Carol Ann

Guest nikkip2009

That spider is really gross. I think i would have freaked if i saw it. Your little boy looks so cute in his school uniform. Dont let the spider thing disturb u too much otherwise u wont be able to function and turn in to a nervous wreck lol. I was like that when we had a little rat problem near our house i still dont feel right in the back garden :unsure:

Guest Guest75

It's a Huntsman,deffo.

Wait until you meet a big one!:arghh::biglaugh:

Should have saved you that Scorpion that Mrs Tyke Squished last night.She is so used to it now.

BTW - eat more of that fliipn' fruit!

It's ripening faster than you can eat it!!!!

Poor little thing looks like its missing a leg !!!

Don't know why but I used to be really scared of spiders, but when I had kids I decided I wasn't going to pass on my fear to them so I deliberately didn't react scared, and now I am honestly 'not bothered' by them (unless really huge). My daughter (6) has always loved spiders and through her I have learned to like them too. She has an Aussie wildlife book full of creepy crawlies and she loves the huntsmens and thinks they are really cute (honest!). She has lots of toy spiders (plastic and furry) and I am so used to seeing them lying around the house. If I do occasionally lapse and react (jokingly) in a scared way to a spider my kids look at me as if I've gone mad!

Obviously my daughter is a bit of a worry when we go to Australia and we have to watch her and make sure she doesn't pick anything up!

OMG - yes its a baby huntsman. I stared at one of these things on the computer last night as my oh was looking up spiders as we had one in the house and was trying to determine which species we had come across - turns out ours was a black house spider. Small in comparison to your baby huntsman but the biggest in our house as yet. Dreading coming across a huntsman - dont like spiders though we have not come across that many. We had our first and only red back so far on Christmas Day and i was brave enough to take a picture before killing it. The redback was in our shed - not in the house. I think I will be ok when i see a huntsman - as long as it does not present itself by dropping out of the mail when i bring it in or fall out of the sun visor when driving - i think i will be ok. :err: