Bird life

Guest trogg686

Guest trogg686

Any birders out there?

Was just wondering what the bird life is like out there, is there much going on and is there a dawn chorus (I'm never awake for it, I just like to know it's there):SLEEP:

Cheers

P.S. This is not a poor excuse of a euphemism, I really want to know :dull:

Guest the4hopes

Definitely a dawn chorus which seems to go on all day and evening, its lovely. I have loads of little birds around my bird feeder all day, just trying to get some parrots, Ive put peanuts out, any suggestions anyone? They all fly over from tree to tree but dont stop off for a meal! We only have a small patio area with one tree.

The birds are much louder over there, maybe because you are sleeping with the window open more often, but also because there is no double glazing to block out the sound. The first time I went to Australia, the first morning I woke up feeling jet-lagged and disorientated, there was no mistaking that I was somewhere quite foreign to Europe, the bird sounds were overwhelming. In general they are very screechy and very loud. Common ones are the mynahs, wood pigeons (!), cockatoos (very noisy), rosellas, Australian magpies (which are different) which warble. In Adelaide we used to live on the beach front so there was very little bird noise. Australian seagulls don't make the same noise as British ones either, they just screech, there's none of the familiar seagull noise that reminds me of summer holidays in Cornwall. Out in the outback the crows sound so depressed, they are amazing.

Coming back to England after a long time away in Australia I found it was lovely to hear the dawn chorus, it really made me feel I was home and was very comforting. British birds sing more and are a lot less screechy. But I love the sound of Australian birds just as much. If you are into birds then you will love Australia.

Guest Guest75

It's great here!

Those bikini's are reallly skimpy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry could not resist!!!;)

Plenty of bird life here ,the dawn & evening chorus are noisy to say the least at times.

Kookaburras are fairly common as well.

I'm not a twitcher but I love parrots. Own one myself!

The best way to attract parrots is to put out sunflower seeds, they love them!

Only problem is parrots are very noisy and they are up and about from 5am every morning, screeching at each other. Is that what you want?

Guest nishman

As soon as the sun's up (and when it goes down) you'll hear them. The magpies and the cockies/gallahs especially, with the odd kookaburra if you're in a woody area. After you're first camping trip, you'll know about them:D

Blackbirds, starlings and sparrows here - all brought in to make the place more english:p

Lot's of birds here, but with the exception of the parrots/correllas, I was surprised by how brown most of them are - I guess I was expecting more tropical colouring... Just good sun tans I suppose.;)

Always lots around when I walk the dog in Linear Park in the mornings - the lovely maggies of course, the mynahs, the wattle birds, diving and squeaking little green and red ones (parakeets/lorakeets - not sure which) and some blue and orange and red things that eat stuff in the trees, if it's going to rain the Kookaburras call, and there are pigeons with little spikes on their heads, as well as grey herons, big white ibis, and ducks that sit up trees. In the early evening you sometimes can't hear yourself think with the noisy white cockatoos (I think they might be called something else - there are the sulphur crested ones or the ones without yellow bits) and occasionally some black ones that enjoy pine cones - they have red tails. The galahs are like rabbits grazing on the grass, with their beautiful pink/red chests, and of course this time of year there are little fairy blue wrens, and the cute willy wagtails. When you get here, take a walk up to Morialta Falls and you're bound to see a lot of the above, as well as maybe the odd koala (yes, I know he's not a bird but...)

Most of the smaller parrots you will see in the trees in your gardens here DO NOT EAT SEEDS. They are nectar and fruit eaters, hence the reason you see and hear them in the gum trees as that's where they feed off the flowers. You can buy nectar in the supermarkets very cheaply, or in decent pet shops - many pet shops have their own brands. It can be used wet or dry. I've never had any success in luring them down with it, but we have a rainbow lorikeet which we rescued a couple of months ago (he was injured) and he absolutely loves his nectar (and cherries and sweet corn). He's making a huge racket in the family room at the moment!

n757770392_5047945_9192.jpg

Frank at about 8 weeks old.

Guest panther

Well it depends where you go and live to see and hear the large number of native birds that grace our country. We have most of the natives coming into our place as we have planted as many as we can native bushes and trees, and we fill the bird bath up with fresh water daily.

Now the lorakeets are in large numbers they are great to see and hear we also get along the marino corridor Black and white cockatoos they can be loud.

On the very hot days they disapear to the cooler parts shade etc. As said on the last post you can buy or make your own parrot and finch food for them to eat and you can place bird nesting box,s in the trees to attract them.

Panther

Budget Accomodation in Marino

Guest graandjac

:)Head down to the Onkaparinga River Reserve off River Road and take a walk along the river, loads of wading birds and Pelicans , iam not much of a twitcher but do enjoy walking and spotting down there.