Search my bag.... I think NOT!!

Guest Alipally

Would you ever refuse a bag search?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever refuse a bag search?

• Always
    • Never
    • Often
    • Occasionally

Guest Alipally

My OH has just finished his security training level II and told me, last night something that I didn't know, but thought that I would share with you..... especially as it's been mentioned on more that one occasion as something that people object to

Coles, Woolworths et al may put those notices up stating that bag searches are a condition of entry.... but they hold no sway with the law!! :shocked:

You are perfectly entitled to REFUSE to have your bag searched! They may detain you under arrest, but they cannot search you until a police officer:policeman: comes to the shop... if you have nothing, apparently you can sue for false arrest!!!

Apparently the lecturer refuses everytime he's asked.... Once security called the manager and the conversation went like this....

manager: I understand that you are refusing a bag search

Lecturer: That's right (smiles)

Manager: OK, have a nice day

Lecturer: Thank you, goodbye!

Now I'm aware that letting someone search your bag saves hassle and time, but, it's worth knowing that only the police have the power to demand to search your bags, so if you really object you are perfectly within your rights to refuse:D

I don't know about you but I feel violated having my bag searched when I only want to buy a carton of milk!

This also applies to going to concerts etc, unless it's printed on the ticket as a condition of entry, they can't stop you going in if you refuse...

I have to say that in the UK it never occured to me to say no! (although I'm not sure if the law is the same in the UK)

Ali

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alipally
What does Jon Gaunt scream in these situations????

"Shammy Shammy Shammy!!!!!"

Open your bag and get on with your life. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Like I said... it's less hassle to open your bag.... I'm not suggesting that we should all refuse, but for those who want to..... they can! :goofy:

I've added a poll so feel free to vote!!

but for those who want to..... they can! :goofy:

A good point to raise as people know where they stand but why would anyone want to refuse? Can't see the logic. Open the bag and walk out. Not open the bag and wait around to exchange pleasantries with the store manager when he/she eventually turns up and then walk out. No brainer.

Pete

Guest caoimhe
My OH has just finished his security training level II and told me, last night something that I didn't know, but thought that I would share with you..... especially as it's been mentioned on more that one occasion as something that people object to

Coles, Woolworths et al may put those notices up stating that bag searches are a condition of entry.... but they hold no sway with the law!! :shocked:

You are perfectly entitled to REFUSE to have your bag searched! They may detain you under arrest, but they cannot search you until a police officer:policeman: comes to the shop... if you have nothing, apparently you can sue for false arrest!!!

Apparently the lecturer refuses everytime he's asked.... Once security called the manager and the conversation went like this....

manager: I understand that you are refusing a bag search

Lecturer: That's right (smiles)

Manager: OK, have a nice day

Lecturer: Thank you, goodbye!

Now I'm aware that letting someone search your bag saves hassle and time, but, it's worth knowing that only the police have the power to demand to search your bags, so if you really object you are perfectly within your rights to refuse:D

I don't know about you but I feel violated having my bag searched when I only want to buy a carton of milk!

This also applies to going to concerts etc, unless it's printed on the ticket as a condition of entry, they can't stop you going in if you refuse...

I have to say that in the UK it never occured to me to say no! (although I'm not sure if the law is the same in the UK)

Ali

I can see where your coming from, but for a quick exit I would prefer to open them and get on with my day.

Then again I grew up in Belfast in the 70's where we couldn't go in or out of streets and shops without having bags and body searches :wacko:

Guest maxxangel

Certainly interesting to know. There have been times when I was miles away and just walked out without offering my bag up, but rarely was stopped. We were also informed that the people checking can't actually touch your bags themselves, they can only ask you to open them and I notice that very few ask you to move items so they can look underneath. I often think it would be so easy for shop lifters.

Like everyone else says though, it's easier to just show, walk out and get on with your shopping.

Guest salisbury massive

I work in Coles on a checkout and we have been advised by management (in my store anyway) not to ask to see in customers bags. If the customer offers we may have a look but it is an infringement of your human rights to ask to check a bag. Thats what we've been told. I've also been told by our undercover security staff that unless one of them actually see someone steal something we cannot approach a customer who we think is stealing. Last week a customer told me she'd seen a youth hid something about his person. i informed a supervisor who said there was nothing we could do as it hadn't been seen by security. And you think the Uk is anal.

Jo

Guest Wersal Gummage
And you think the Uk is anal.

Jo

Yes definatly the Anal of the world.

I cant see the problem here.

whats all this about detaining you ? how whould it happen.

Shop assistant: Can i see in your bag ?

Shopper: No, and walk out.

What do you think, they'll rugby tackle you to the floor or what.

Shop assistant: Can I see in your bag ?

Shopper: Sure no problem

They only have a quick glance and say

Shop assistant: thanks, have a good day.

( you may have 5 unpaid for items in there) they wouldnt have a clue.

show them and walk or ignore them and walk.

But which ever you choose to do, dont blame the young Lass on the door.

She's only doing what she told.

Guest Wersal Gummage
ive been here 8 motnhs and have never once been asked to open my bag!!:elvis: its a good job, it contains alot of toys......................all Alex's of course;)
You really should start going out Clare :)

Guest Libby1971

I am sorry but I don't get the point of this thread. :huh:

What is the point of refusing a perfectly reasonable request? And if you are so far up your own a*se that you think it is an infringement of your human rights, get a life.:biglaugh:

Its actually the same in the UK there is no power to force someone to be searched by security guards. The only people that are allowed to forceably search is the Police then must have grounds for it. If someone was to just hold you or detain you in anyway for the purpose of the search then this is an arrest. Which could be unlawful if you do not have anything. The law is actually the same here. As well as having a criminal remedy there is personal remedy in the law of Tort for personal alarm and distress, against the store and the person concerned.

It was funny the other day when I was out shopping with my hubby. The girl in a Big department store asked if she could look in his bag, he said "certainly" and as she looked in, he shouted "BOO" and it made her jump out of her skin. We both left the store in hysterics!

Don't see a problem with it. If it the way this country does it then I'll just accept it, I chose to move here so I accept it. In my opinion that is what has gone wrong with the UK all the Human Rights stuff.

Here we go again, the look in the bag thread, the last one got nasty and pulled off line, as I said last time the security check is part of what goes on, for thoses of you who don't like it don't go shopping or leave your bag in the car or if it bothers you that much why not go back to the UK.

I'm sure you came here for a better life, it is a better life but you have to accept changes what would the wrld be like if it was all like the UK

I have no problem with this as I've nothing to hide :biglaugh:

Definately couldn't be bothered with arguing the point with them! Takes two seconds to show them and longer and a bit of stress to not show them :jiggy:

Guest ReadyPenny

If the assistants are polite and ask in a reasonable manner, which I am sure they are and they do, then I dont have a problem with showing them the contents of my bag. My only problem is with staff who have attitude for no reason, which is becoming more and more common in the UK. They seem to think they are doing you a favour stopping their conversations with each other to serve you and make you feel like they are rather inconvenienced by it!!

I have only been to Adelaide for a short 2 week reccie and during my shopping there I was never asked to look inside my bag. When I come to live there I will accept the Australian way and if that's how they do it, so be it.

Mandy

I have only been to Adelaide for a short 2 week reccie and during my shopping there I was never asked to look inside my bag.

Mandy

I think it only applies to a bag of a certain size. I only ever get asked when I have my huge nappy changing bag with me. When I just have a small handbag I always offer it to the person on the door when I am leaving though they say they dont want to see in that. I must say the first time this happened to me upon arrival here I was completely offended and shocked as it made me feel like a suspected thief though that was only because I didnt know that was the done thing here - when I realised that I have no problem as I have nothing to hide.

Guest Wersal Gummage
Here we go again, the look in the bag thread, the last one got nasty and pulled off line, as I said last time the security check is part of what goes on, for thoses of you who don't like it don't go shopping or leave your bag in the car or if it bothers you that much why not go back to the UK.

I'm sure you came here for a better life, it is a better life but you have to accept changes what would the wrld be like if it was all like the UK

Well it's no wonder the last thread got deleted with posts like this.

If you dont like it go home, leave your bag in the car, dont go shopping ? are you mad.

Some might not want their bag looked into maybe they have adult mags or sex toys in there and dont want them seen.

Why do people keep mentioning its easier to show in the bag rather than stand and argue the point.

As I said before, dont even look at them just ignore them and walk out.

Easy.

Guest guest569

Wersal you actualy said in your last "usefull"post on this subject " :biglaugh:show them and walk or ignore them and walk.

But which ever you choose to do, dont blame the young Lass on the door.

She's only doing what she told.

I completely agree but as far as your last post... Keep your sex toys at home and get a life....:biglaugh:

It was funny the other day when I was out shopping with my hubby. The girl in a Big department store asked if she could look in his bag, he said "certainly" and as she looked in, he shouted "BOO" and it made her jump out of her skin. We both left the store in hysterics!

That made me laugh, definatley my kind of humour;)

Well it's no wonder the last thread got deleted with posts like this.

If you dont like it go home, leave your bag in the car, dont go shopping ? are you mad.

Some might not want their bag looked into maybe they have adult mags or sex toys in there and dont want them seen.

Why do people keep mentioning its easier to show in the bag rather than stand and argue the point.

As I said before, dont even look at them just ignore them and walk out.

Easy.

Ignore them and walk out, thats a very good atitude, I guess your the type of person that has something to hide so you would not want your bag looked into.

I dont know why it is so hard to do the right thing it is Brits like you that give the poms a bad name you should stay at home with your sex toys and leave the rest of us to get on with our lives