Starting to get butterflies!

Guest Kay

Hi Everyone!

I have been reading all your posts for some time and my OH has posted under his own username about aircraft work, we are a RAF family, we have sold our house and we are back in Married Quarters treading water waiting for our flights which are booked for 15th September. My OH is still serving in the Gulf at the moment nearly coming to the end of a 3 month tour there, I have probably spent too much time on my own with the kids as I have now started to become 'concerned' about everything from schools to cars to houses! :biglaugh: I know this is just normal but after a while you can drive yourself mad, I suppose it got worse last night when my 9 year old daughter suddenly decided that it was a 'big' move, being a Forces child she has moved house countless times and I suppose I didn't think that this move would be a problem for her! We are hopefully heading toward Seaford Rise area or maybe further toward Adelaide, my daughter likes the look of Seaford K7 and was initially very excited about everything, maybe she is going through the same emotions as myself and having a little wobble?? Excited, open minded but still wobbling - sound familiar to anyone??? :unsure: Thanks in advance.

Guest kangomik

Hello.

It's only natural to "wobble".

Make sure you take time to listen to the kids, let them know just what is going on. We found this worked well. They had a little wobble near then end but found it easy to ask questions which worked well.

They love it here now, in fact they probably settled in faster than us!

Hi Kay,

Don't worry...it's a big move but a good one!

Seaford is a great area and the kids will love it.

Our kids also had their doubts about where we were taking them but they have settled in just fine. Australians are very open and accepting people. We were told by local Ozzies that all Australians are migrants.

Maybe we can see each other when you get here? I'm a Royal Navy baby born in Mauritius!

Thanks Tamara, I am a RAF baby myself but also went the route of joining and then marrying into it! You had a far more exotic start in life than me though! Just suppose the exchange rate and the amount of people talking about leaving is enough to put the cat amongst the pigeons, we are going to class it as a posting and thrown ourselves into it and hope it pans out, I don't know if that is the right attitude but it has worked before (Germany etc) so lets hope it works again! I am sure all new friends will help make the transition easier, my OH more than enjoys a beer or 3, we are staying with Russell (in his rental!) for the first month so I think that we will be just down the road from you?? HTH

My OH is an army baby born in Germany! Our kids were born outside the UK and we battled to get them British passports! Will tell you about it later this year? I will pm you with our address and phone number if you like? Do you have a lift from the airport? It doesn't matter that you are staying with someone else if I can help in any way then let me know. How old are the other kids? I have loads of stuff for young ones (prams, high chair, cots etc). If you need any help with the medicare, drivers licences, tax file number etc then just let me know. We have gone through it so many times.

Russell will take good care of you. Seaford is a great area 4 or 5 km from where we are so you are just down the road.

See you soon!

Really kind of you, we have 2 kids, Anna who is 9 and Albie who will be 3 in September, because OH is still away planning has been put on hold for a few months but he is back soon and we will be full swing into shipping quotes, hire cars and all the finer details. Probably the reason for the wobble to start with is that I am not getting on with things! Nice to know there will be friendly faces when we get there, see you in September.

Guest The Pottertons

Hi Kay, i also worry about my son asking questions nearer the time......i guess we just have to be positive and listen to their worries. It is mindblowing though....thinking about the logiistics and hard to imagine it all coming together!!! Im sure you'll gets lots of support on here, i always have. Welcome to PIA and congrats on havin a date!! Yvonne x

Guest sandar1

We moved so many times with our kids just like you, and yes they do get the wobbles from time to time, guess the worst one we had was when our oldest was about 8 or 9 so maybe it has something to do with the age. Once they arrived they were fine, I just walked around the neighborhood knocking on doors till I found kids their age, and they are still best friends with the kids who lived over the back (we installed a gate) now for over 20 years. When my son moved here to Australia with his American wife and kids, we checked out the school at Victor Harbor where they were moving to to see if they had a school on line chat site, which they did. Jonaa was able to make friends with other mothers this way, and the kids had instant friends. I always made up a book for the kids into which they put anything they learnt or we learnt about the country of our new move, and planned things to do once we got there. I'm sure I'm preaching to the learned as you have moved before, but believe me it will be okay.

I hope I get to meet you when you get here, give me a call at the shop 88357 3093 and come and have a cup of tea, or come and have pizza with Kevin and I at the Rob Roys on a Tuesday night. I look forward to meeting you all.

Sandra

Guest Sharon and Paul

HI Kay, Just got back from a reccie , we stayed at Russell (tyke) house in Seaford it was very good, and he will help you guys , he knows lots of people. As for the wobbles your not alone! . We are due back to Oz 30/6/09 and yes we are staying at Tyke 's place we will be moving out as you arrive allmost !. Have 2 kids Charlotte 7 and Jack 3 , hopefully staying in Seaford area depending on job if i can find one? sorry , I will , I will , ( positive thinking before going to bed otherwise i won't sleep ) look forword to meeting you guys . ATB Paul, sharon and kids

Guest Guest75

Hi Kay

Having the wobbles is entirely normal,part of the process of moving here.

Happened to me - but when I got here - yup I cried .

Mainly because it was overwhelming - I seriously look back to that moment and giggle now.

As you are Forces folk I'm sure it will be easier to cope with the move/organising.

You have friends here + me so we'll be able to help:D:D

Hi Kay

We live in Port Noarlunga South which is the next suburb north of Seaford. Both my children go to Seaford K-7 school and really enjoy it. This week my youngest Gemma is going swimming at Noarlunga Aquatics Centre every morning and at the end of this month she is going on a trip to Adelaide Zoo. Christopher plays soccer for the school team and they both have keyboard lessons in school.

We really love living here as we are so close to beautiful beaches ie. Port Noarlunga, Moana and Port Willunga.

Good luck with your move.

Paula

Hi Everyone,

What strikes me about all the posts in this thread is that everyone is so kind and supportive, you will be pleased to know that Anna has awoken today with a fresh outlook on life and I think has started to turn a corner. I have told her about your comments and ideas and she seems to feel a bit less apprehensive, it is nice for her to know that there are lots of people that do this and they cope. It also helps that on Friday (only 4 more sleeps in child speak) Dad will finally be home after his 3 month tour, once he is back I am positive that she will be more settled and therefore in a better place to cope with it. The sun is shining in Norfolk and the children are in a better mood, what more could I ask for??:)