New family needing help

Guest juliet adams

Guest juliet adams

Hi everyone

My name's Juliet, hubby Col and 2 boys Rory 11yrs and Ross 9yrs. Visa was granted last week so we are still floating:jiggy::jiggy:. we want to be out for Sept, any advice on jobs, schools and suburbs would be great. i'm a childcare coordinator/director and Col is a driver HGV/forklift operator etc... The boys want to live near a beach!!!We're happy to follow!!!:notworthy: lookin forward to gettin to know you all!

xxxxxThe Adams Family

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi there Adam's family,

Lots of people at the moment wanting to know answers to these sorts of questions. Its useful for us aswell who will hopefully be out soon!! Sorry can't help you but welcome to PIA and i'm sure you will get loads of advice.

CONGRATS on the Visa, bet ya over the moon:jiggy:

Jo and Tom x

Guest angiestaff

congrats on getting ur visa through, u may 'come down' by september! lol

people can recommend loads of different areas but until ur here it doesn't really mean a lot,also it'll depend on where ur gonna work. me n hubby were on the net a lot and went on realestate.com to look at the houses all around adelaide. we then went on youtube as people often put videos/pics of where they live on there (we are finding it weird to be sitting somewhere in aus that we looked at when we were in the uk! lol)

we currently rent in west lakes, near by to semaphore,largs bay, henley beach etc..., have a look on the sites that i've mentioned see wot u think

ange x

Hi everyone

My name's Juliet, hubby Col and 2 boys Rory 11yrs and Ross 9yrs. Visa was granted last week so we are still floating:jiggy::jiggy:. we want to be out for Sept, any advice on jobs, schools and suburbs would be great. i'm a childcare coordinator/director and Col is a driver HGV/forklift operator etc... The boys want to live near a beach!!!We're happy to follow!!!:notworthy: lookin forward to gettin to know you all!

xxxxxThe Adams Family

Guest Nicky&Andy

congrats on the visa

wait till you see the beaches, they go on and on and on, theres so many nice places to live, alot depends on where you work etc, how far from adelaide you want to be, etc

look around and give it time, after a few weeks you start to get a feel for the areas you like, hire a car and tour round, good luck

Hi there, and welcome to PIA. Virtually impossible to give you any constructive advice at the moment to be honest, but have a look on at http://www.adelaidebound.com.au and also the real estate sites. Your first few weeks will be spent driving around looking at areas, schools and sorting out medicare etc, and I think most people here find the "right" area for them within that time. Most suburbs are within easy reach of the beaches unless you're right up in the hills!

I think for your OH's line of work, you may find a lot of the possible employers are based around the near North - sort of Wingfield way. I drive along the Grand Junction Road a couple of times a week to work and quite often see signs up advertising that kind of job. If you did end up working there, you might find Aldinga was a bit far to travel on a daily basis!

Try and base yourself somewhere fairly central when you first arrive until you get sorted out on the work front, then you can choose where to live without having limitations due to distance/time of the commute. Plenty of lovely beachside suburbs both northwest and southwest, and even where I am in the NorthEast it's only about half hour drive to a beach so you'll never be far away!

No shortage of excellent schools wherever you base yourself and plenty of childcare centres all over for your work, so I think it's going to come down to your other half's profession. Get that bit sorted, and the rest will slot into place accordingly! Your boys are the ideal age, will have time to settle in to primary school for a couple of years before having to hit the books at high school!

Good luck and any questions, just ask!

Diane

Guest The Pottertons

Welcome to PIA, everyone has given great advice already and i can only say that looking for an area when you arrive is really important as its such a personal thing. We have been out on a reccie and still dont know where we will live but intend to have another good luck around when we arrive and not rush ourselves. It is an amazing place and congrats on your visa! Yvonne x

Guest Dave & Carole

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on the visa. I'm sure you'll pick up loads of useful advice trawling through the posts on here.

Good luck with the planning.

Congratulations Juliet. It is such a sense of relief when the visa is approved!

There's really good advice already posted. It's personal choice but you do need to drive around and fit the area in which you live around your jobs and children.

We have a family staying with us in Port Noarlunga at the moment. They have hired a car, driven around and are maybe going to rent in Aldinga in a few weeks time. Other people we know are renting in Christies Beach...he works nearby and she travels in to town by train every day.

Whatever questions you may have...just post them here and you will certainly get help and advice.

Tamara

Guest Hansonhouse

Congratulations on the visa, it's a wonderful feeling. We arrived last October and chose Seaford Rise and Moana to settle. We have boys the same age as yours, one even shares the same name. There are good road, bus and train links to city but we work at Flinders and locally so this is a good location for us.

We have the Wine Region (Mclaren Vale) behind us 10 mins bike ride, beach 5 mins bike ride in front of us, hills and city also within 20-30 mins drive. We love it here and the boys have settled well. We stayed in Moana Caravan Park when we first arrived, for 6 weeks, then rented here and have just bought our first house.

Wherever you choose you are never far from the beach, depends if you want to be within walking distance (that was important to us) or driving distance.

In Summer we went down nearly every night after work/school and it was superb. Boys have got involved in cubs/scouts, footie, cricket, soccer, basketball either here or at Port Noarlunga, 5 mins drive away.

Guest juliet adams

Thank you so much for that, it's really helpful to hear from people who have been in the same situation. we have the removals companys coming on Friday to give us a quote!! we have been looking at your area it does look beautiful. Can you recommend a good school for the boys, thank you again

Juliet 38

Col 37

Rory 11

Ross 9

xx

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Adams Family.

Just to let you know in hubbys wants to carry on with HGV he will have to resit his test but he also then aquires with that his PSV as well.

HGV and PSV are on the same licence here.

Matt (torrens transit driver)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mollybailey

Hi there

congrats on your visa, now the real fun starts we stayed in christies beach on arrival right on the beach it was grt, but that was only because of oh work, you will know the right place when you start driving round, everyone wants different things about where they live, we are in seaford rise now in a rental we love it here! (but we also like the hills) so much choice!

Thanks for that Matt we will take that into consideration

Adams Family

hey there guys,

Alot of guys come on here wanting to know where to live etc....

IMO what you have to do is ask yourself some question...

near a beach?

nearer to work?

near schools, what are the schools like?

near shops?

what public transport like?

I hopw that thse few questions may help you out in some way rthere are lots of questions that you have to ask yourselves about where you want to live...

I hope this helps

HG

Guest juliet adams

thank you for that. we have researched christies beach and seaford area looks and sounds beautiful. we fly into Adelaide on 29th September. Very nervous yet very excited. need to get work asap. i'm qualified to be a childcare centre director. if you know of any centres nearby advertising can you send me a line. hopefully we will be able to catch up in the very near future. people with knowledge of the area will make the move feel less daunting!! Can't wait to get out there

Juliet 38

Col 37

Rory 12

Ross 9

xx

Hi, well done on getting your visa. We've only had ours for a few weeks and are heading out in August. We only discovered PIA last week, but everyone's been so helpful already. We're renting for the first 8 weeks in Port Noarlunga and Morphett Vale - thanks to PIA veterans Judi and Tamara.

We haven't come down from the visa high yet - we're much too busy!

thank you for that. we have researched christies beach and seaford area looks and sounds beautiful. we fly into Adelaide on 29th September. Very nervous yet very excited. need to get work asap. i'm qualified to be a childcare centre director. if you know of any centres nearby advertising can you send me a line. hopefully we will be able to catch up in the very near future. people with knowledge of the area will make the move feel less daunting!! Can't wait to get out there

Juliet 38

Col 37

Rory 12

Ross 9

xx

No worries always here for help for newbies.

Were in Seaford and love it down it here, not saying any ither areas are not good ( had to get that in ) ;)

Will keep my eyes and ears open for you mate.

check out Careerone, seek, thats just 2 of the main job sites here.

HG