the first 6 months........

Guest angiestaff

Guest angiestaff

how did everyone find there first 6 months moneywise?, we're finding that we have almost spent all but a few grand of our savings, mainly on setting up the home, dogs, cars etc..... we now have everything that we need so hopefully can start putting some money back into the savings account (even if it's a few cents a week!:biglaugh:)

i suppose i just wana know that most people go through this when they first arrive (unless u were lucky to come with a larger sum of money than we did!). my friend keeps telling me that within a year moneywise we'll wonder what we were panicking about lol :wacko:

ange x

Guest Nick11

Yep its all spend spend spend.

2 years on and we're just about starting to get even. Seems like one step forward - 2 steps back at times!!!

Guest ade&emma

Yeah sounds about right. We have been here 9 months and are still not on track money wise. There are still loads of things we need to pay out for to get the house just right. You're basically rebuilding your lifes from scratch so it 's going to take time and money.

Guest The Pottertons

We are saving like mad due to kind PIAers emphasisng just how expensive setting up is. Dont know how much we will need. Any ideas would be great though?????? Not that i want to hijack the post or anything!!!!:embarrassed: Yvonne xx

how did everyone find there first 6 months moneywise?, we're finding that we have almost spent all but a few grand of our savings, mainly on setting up the home, dogs, cars etc..... we now have everything that we need so hopefully can start putting some money back into the savings account (even if it's a few cents a week!:biglaugh:)

i suppose i just wana know that most people go through this when they first arrive (unless u were lucky to come with a larger sum of money than we did!). my friend keeps telling me that within a year moneywise we'll wonder what we were panicking about lol :wacko:

ange x

Hi Ange we are in the same boat as you we arrived last November and its been spend spend spend and now I'm trying to put it back, I think you have to be quite shrewd out there, I've been checking out prices at different supermarkets to try and get my costs of weekly shop down, I've not checked out Coles yet but Woolworths have won over foodland if you shop of an evening after 6pm or first thing in the morning on a I've managed to cut my food shop by a third they do lots of specials and reduced items bread is usually half price they usually do specials on meat I've picked up a pork roll this week with seasoning in the middle for $10 down from $15, I've even picked up a vacum cleaner for $45 down from $50 (bought that last week) lots of things worth taking a look. Best nights are Thursday's and Fridays. Other things people have suggested is going to the local butchers and fruit and veg market.

Hope this helps with one of the expenses with life.

Julie

Guest Guest75

As everyone else has said.

You have to go through a tough financial time as you are "buying your lives back"

It get's easier !!!!:):)

As everyone else has said.

You have to go through a tough financial time as you are "buying your lives back"

It get's easier !!!!:):)

Yes Tyke is spot on, at the start its all outgoings. It certainly makes you realise how good an idea it is to bring everything you had in the uk with you. Even the small items that you dont think you will need you will end of buying here!

The biggest thing is though the earlier you get money coming in the easier it is. The best thing to do is not go to mad when you get here buying the things that can wait. I know its nice to have all nice and new things but you need to think about the savings.

Guest Django

I must say we found the first six months easier money wise than the last six months in the UK. We came out with next to nothing BUT Tracey did have a job to go to. We have now been here 8 months and are financially far better off since arriving here.

Pete

Guest angiestaff

thanks for everyones replies, we do feel a little better that it isn't just us that feel like this when u first arrive in aus, i like the fact i get paid fortnightly so we don't have to worry if the money will last for a whole month! lol..we can't be too concerned as hubby is taking me to penfolds vineyards 2day!!! yipee!! lol

we met at the overseas recruit thing with Karen!!

Me & Si are going out for a pint to the port dock brewery, todd st, Port Adelaide on Friday if you and OH fancy coming to join us, anytime from 7pm. If you are in touch with any of the others please just ask them too.

Caroll

Guest kangomik

It's easy to burn money on arrival. Buy a new car or buy second hand.... big difference (we bought new by the way, but its a big chunk)

After that it's a case of "do i really need it?"

But you will have to replace all of those day to day items you took for granted.

It cost's to set up, but once done that should be it.

Many think it's cheap to shop here,,,,,,,,, compare prices of TV's.

After a while, i think you do find living cheaper here, and a lot happier too.

Guest DianeJ
Yes Tyke is spot on, at the start its all outgoings. It certainly makes you realise how good an idea it is to bring everything you had in the uk with you. Even the small items that you dont think you will need you will end of buying here!

The biggest thing is though the earlier you get money coming in the easier it is. The best thing to do is not go to mad when you get here buying the things that can wait. I know its nice to have all nice and new things but you need to think about the savings.

Hi,

We brought everything with us and soooo glad we did. We didn't go mad when we arrived, bought a car, needed one single bed but our savings have been drained. I went to the launderettte for 6 weeks till our container arrived, shopping takes an age looking for specials etc, shop at cheap as chips for toiletries as well so I've not been going mad with money! I was a savvy shopper in the UK but even more now.

We have had three days out with the children, Zoo, Victor Harbour and Cleland so not really gone mad there either!

I find everything here expensive except for red meat and chicken.

My OH gets paid 4 weekly which isn't going to help so I am doing an excel spreadsheet to account for his wages. Everything we spend is getting written down and we'll just see how we go, but looking at it now I think we'll just have enough to last till he gets paid again, so no savings going back into the pot!

Think if we'd known how expensive it is here we probably wouldn't have got on the plane, but time will tell !

Guest angiestaff

helloooooooo,

sorry won't be able to make this fri as working fri, sat n sun!!, really could do with a nite out too!:sad:,

let us know when ur out next :), will let others know if i see them

thanks, ange x