Oh my goodness we're moving to Adelaide in September! Newbie here :D

Guest allie

Guest allie

Hi everyone!

My husband has just been offered a job in Adelaide, so it looks like we will be arriving soon (many forms and scary visas permitting!) It is a bit of a shock as the job offer was a bit out of the blue and we hadn't been planning to move...let alone to Australia! We are hoping that it will be worth the risk of uprooting ourselves so that he can finally get to work in the area he trained in (no chance of that happening in bonnie scotland at all) He hopes to start in Sept but we were going to try and be there a bit earlier so that we can have a good look around our future home!

Soooooo here I am;) I have to admit that i am a bit terrified. I am a primary teacher and it doesn't look like there is a whole lot of work out there for me. Im not particularly bothered about getting a permanent job but a bit of supply would be nice! Given that i am leaving a job here that causes me much stress and anxiety, I think an enforced break from teaching will prob work out for the best. I will do all the registering and what not but I have a very realistic expectation of what I can expect (mainly due to the info on this site so thank you!) I'm pretty easy going so i think i'll just go with the flow and see what end up doing :o

Having read a lot of threads, I realise that we are in the fortunate position of going over with my OH having a job lined up so Im counting myself lucky. I cant imagine how scary it must be to go and hope for the best - hats of to all the brave people on here who did just that!

I think I have rambled on enough so I'll cut my babbling short and get back to filling in many, many forms.....total nightmare!

Any advice on nice areas to live or a bit of a friendly message from people who have already been through this whole process would be very welcome! The thing that scare me most of all is knowing NO ONE on the other side of the world!

Hi Allie and welcome to the site!

Do you know yet where your OH will be based with his work? That would be a good starting point for places to live etc. After that, you probably need to consider whether you prefer to live really close to the beaches, or somewhere a bit hilly with trees, and whether you like going out to shows and sporting events etc, as that will help determine how far from the main centre would be comfortable for you!

I know just what you're going through as my husband too was offered a job here before we came, and the whole process for us from thinking "oh, shall we move to Australia?" to actually landing here took about eight weeks!

Diane

Guest allie

Hi Diane and thank you for replying to my thread :D

Eight weeks???!! I hope we have longer than that! How on earth did you get everything sorted in time?? My OH will be working in Flinders uni and we have decided that probably West Beach, Henley or Glenelg will be nice to live - we really want to liv by the beach! We have google mapped the city to death and these places seem near enough to the city but also close enough to his work too. Im not fussed so long as i get some sand!

Allie

You should also look at Marino and Seacliff as these areas are by the sea and also closer to Flinders. Glenelg is nice but has become very pricey, even in rents. Even if you step back one suburb or main road from the coastal suburbs you will have more choice and only be 10 - 15 mins away from a nice beach. All the beaches are good ones, so you can pick your favourites to go to depending on whether you have little kids, like to park right next to the beach, drive down onto the beach etc.

Also places such as Coromandel Valley are very nice, and only a short drive to Flinders and the beaches.

We were lucky enough to make the move nearly five years ago, so managed to sell the house in England (my lovely "forever" house, sob...) pretty quickly. It went on the market on the bank holiday weekend at the end of May, and we were on the plane in the first week of August - be prepared for a bit of shell shock when you first arrive, but September is a great time to come as it is just coming into Springtime, and you have the whole summer to look forward to!

Are you selling up or renting out in the UK? In one of my Home2Home files I have a checklist of everything to do before you leave - I'll see if I can find it!

Best of luck with everything, and any questions along the way, just fire them out and usually someone knows the answer, or can point you in the right direction!

Diane

Guest graandjac

:chatterbox:All a bit scary in the start but just work through your questions and they will get answered , this is a greta place to start another site is www.adelaidebound.co.uk there is no stone unturned here. Good luck and .....its worth it....:D

Guest majortom

If your coming out on an employer sponsorship (RSMS) they dont take long !!!.

Will they want your husband to start straight away once you get the visa ????. Its a good visa if it is that one, its a perm one which allows you to have the first home buyers grant. And if you have children you'll recieve child benefits as well.

We arrived on a RSMS visa in 2006, ours wasn't straight forward and took about 7 months from start to finish. My wife had to start work straight away and i had to stay in the UK to sell the house and tie up my redundancy. My son and I joined my wife and daughter 8 months later !!!.

Let the rollercoaster begin................:biglaugh:

Good luck with everything, Adelaide is a wonderful place.

Jim

Guest Dave & Carole

Welcome..and congratulations onknowing you'll have ajob out their.

We are still waiting for our visa, but hope to be out very soon. Like you, I am a Primary school teacher and am realistic about chances of getting work. I figure that a huge move to the other side of the world will require some time off to suss the place out anyway!!!!

Good luck with all the paperwork - its not as bad as it seems in itself - just stressfull when you are in the middle of it. We are hoping once we are there, we'll forget all about these last few months!

Ask away on here - there's always someone who will give you some advice.

Carole

Guest Blackcat

Hi Ali

Whereabouts at Flinders will your husband be working? I work there in admin, its a good place to work and is in a lovely setting. I live at Eden Hills which is only a 10 minute drive to the Uni, its a nice area and only 20 mins to the nearest beach which is Brighton. Have been here about 20 months now, I am sure you will love it once you get here and there are loads of us Brits here! Good luck, Gina

Guest allie

Wow, thank you all for replying :) The info about the different suburbs is really useful as we are basing our decisionpurely on location - we have no idea what each area is like! I think we will def suss out Marino and the areas surrounding Flinders too. There is soooo much to take in so i bet i will have a million questions before we actually get there!

Thank you again - nice to meet you all!

Allie :D

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hi and welcome to PIA!

We came out on a RSMS sponsored visa with Andrews job and once we had meds and police checks done it didnt take long at all. This website is a fantastic place to ask any questions at all...even silly ones will be answered...lol!

We have been here a matter of weeks and love it already. We came to Glenelg for a look around and fell in love with the place. The beach is beautiful and jetty rd offers everything you need grocers,butchers,newsagents,takeaways,bars etc...Brighton which is not too far also offers the beach and jetty rd atmosphere but Glenelg as the tram line direct to it which was ideal for us as i dont drive.

Yes compared to other areas it is expensive but we thought we would rent a place here for a while and if it proves to pricey we will move...i think its worth it just for the beach and lifestyle Glenelg offers :D

We are renting a gorgeous place literally 30 seconds from the beach and i think the price reflects that but back in the uk a property as nice as this would be double....

Good luck with it all xxxxxxxx

Guest The Pottertons

Welcome Allie.......congrats on the decision to move. I love the areas you've mentioned...they are all amazing. But they are pricey. But saying that if i didnt have children i would definitely rent in one of these areas for a while just to live the dream!!!!!!!! Then move on when it became too much financially! Thats the beauty of renting i guess! Hope you're journey goes well and good luck with the paperwork!!! Yvonne x

Guest allie
Hi and welcome to PIA!

We came out on a RSMS sponsored visa with Andrews job and once we had meds and police checks done it didnt take long at all. This website is a fantastic place to ask any questions at all...even silly ones will be answered...lol!

We have been here a matter of weeks and love it already. We came to Glenelg for a look around and fell in love with the place. The beach is beautiful and jetty rd offers everything you need grocers,butchers,newsagents,takeaways,bars etc...Brighton which is not too far also offers the beach and jetty rd atmosphere but Glenelg as the tram line direct to it which was ideal for us as i dont drive.

Yes compared to other areas it is expensive but we thought we would rent a place here for a while and if it proves to pricey we will move...i think its worth it just for the beach and lifestyle Glenelg offers :D

We are renting a gorgeous place literally 30 seconds from the beach and i think the price reflects that but back in the uk a property as nice as this would be double....

Good luck with it all xxxxxxxx

Wow your house sounds great! We def want to rent in Glenelg at some point - it just looks so lovely! We are just at the beginning stages of planning at the mo...getting all our documents and im starting the teaching reg process. It just seems to be dragging on and on :D oh well im sure the time will fly by once the paperwork starts to go through!

Thanks for replying :D

Guest allie
Welcome Allie.......congrats on the decision to move. I love the areas you've mentioned...they are all amazing. But they are pricey. But saying that if i didnt have children i would definitely rent in one of these areas for a while just to live the dream!!!!!!!! Then move on when it became too much financially! Thats the beauty of renting i guess! Hope you're journey goes well and good luck with the paperwork!!! Yvonne x

Hi :D

Thank you for your post...everyone is sooo friendly and helpful on here! Glenelg is our preferred area at the mo but there seems to be so many nice areas that i dont think we will be bothered where we end up! So long as i get some sand i will be happy :)

Guest The Shepherds

Hi Allie

I'm so jealous, you should get there quite quickly...... I am also a primary teacher and we are waiting to see if we get the visa... The paperwork was so difficult even though we had an agent do it for us. I'm not planning to work much but I may need to do a bit of supply work. Good luck

from Kim

Guest angiestaff

hi from some fellow Shepherd's (i wonder if we're related somehow?? lol)

what part of scotland are u from? hubby's dad was from Montrose

welcome to the site and welcome to adelaide when u get here!

ange x

Guest allie

Hi more shepherds :)

We are moving from an area near Glasgow. Montrose is really lovely so your father in law came froma pretty place! Im sure adelaide will be even nicer :)

Thanks for your welcome....I hope we arrive there fairly soon!

Guest angiestaff

(We are moving from an area near Glasgow).........

glasgow's a nice city (i'm biased now i'm here but adelaide is nicer!! lol), my mom came from hamilton which if i remember correctly isn't too far from glasgow (and even my mom will admit most places are nicer than hamilton!!;)

have u an estimated date of flights etc..?, start ur goodbyes now cos u may think u have plenty of time to fit everyone in but we found that we unfortunately missed people out, oops!:err:

good luck, ange x

Guest allie

(We are moving from an area near Glasgow).........

glasgow's a nice city (i'm biased now i'm here but adelaide is nicer!! lol), my mom came from hamilton which if i remember correctly isn't too far from glasgow (and even my mom will admit most places are nicer than hamilton!!;)

have u an estimated date of flights etc..?, start ur goodbyes now cos u may think u have plenty of time to fit everyone in but we found that we unfortunately missed people out, oops!:err:

No way! I live in Wishaw which is right next to Hamilton! I will agree that it wouldnt be difficult to find somewhere nicer than here tho!

Not got a confirmed date yet (damned visa red tape) but hopefully things will start moving soon. At the mo we are just doing everything we can to prepare - documents all ready and signed, house sorted out, cars, etc the list is endless! Then hopefully we will be out for my OH to start in Sept. It sems quite a long time away but hopefully it will fly by :)

Good advice about the goodbyes...any excuse for a few more nights out before im completely friendless on the other side of the world!!!